cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No more Screen Door Effect (SDE) - new Samsung Odyssey+ introduces perceived 1,233 PPI level res

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
So we've got:

Oculus Rift = 461 PPI
HTC Vive Pro = 615 PPI
Samsung Odyssey+ = 1233 PPI (level)

Actually Samsung Odyssey+ is 616 PPI like the Vive Pro, but some magic happens according to Samsung:

Limitless Viewing Experience

With exclusive, evolutionary, SDE-minimizing Samsung display technology, users can perceive a 1,233ppi-level resolution. A 3.5" advanced Anti-SDE Dual AMOLED display lets you experience incredibly immersive mixed reality, and break down the boundaries between the real and the virtual.

9jb3383mvym0.jpg

Looks interesting though, could be simply awesome for movies and Netflix, we'll see when the first reviews arrive - more info here:

https://www.samsung.com/hk_en/hmd/hmd-plus-xe800zba-hc1/

Some other improvements - design looks much like a copy of the Rift:

a5gb54dsw523.jpg

k51xqnacsbs1.jpg

by0be645p43a.jpg

85tbfy1a79ab.jpg

t1dyuuhmp5lw.jpg

It does actually look quite impressive - still those controllers look awful compared to Touch. Given enough time to evolve, Samsung may be a very serious contender, in fact Samsung could evolve to deserve a new logo!

wp5oennqvbip.jpg

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

205 REPLIES 205

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
Sorry, but I would have thought that most reported improvements would have been from other WMR headset users.  If not, why not?  Probably because everyone else thinks their VR systems are crap, lol!
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

OmegaM4N
Expert Trustee
Is this going to end up like the god rays thing, some people are plaged with them and they ruin VR, but some do not seem to get them and have no idea why other have issue with them.

This seems to be one of the things with VR, it seems until you put the actual headset on yourself you have no idea just what you are going to get and what that expereince is going to be for you personally, just a shame it is such a expensive way to find out. lol

CV1/Vive-knuckles)/Dell Vr Visor/Go/Quest II/ PSVR.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Seems like the Odyssey+ price has just been dumped from $499 to $299 - that is kinda cheap 😉

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/samsung-hmd-odyssey/8n2d0nk20p8m/jtx4?activetab=pivot:overviewtab

Reviews are quite mixed though:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/samsung-hmd-odyssey/8n2d0nk20p8m/jtx4?activetab=pivot:reviewstab

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD

Anonymous
Not applicable
I am certainly seeing very mixed reviews on some gaming forums I frequent, everything from how awesome it is to how trash it is and in between.

pyroth309
Visionary

dburne said:

I am certainly seeing very mixed reviews on some gaming forums I frequent, everything from how awesome it is to how trash it is and in between.

Sounds like every other product then! lol

On a serious note, a lot of the satisfaction for people seems to be if it fits your face or not. I rebought one for the sale and it already shipped. Will be here Wednesday so I'll add my .02 when I get it. I also ordered some Velcro straps as I plan to try that mod first since it's cheap. If that doesn't work, I'm gonna see what kind of custom fit mod I can do to get it to fit. I felt like paying 499 for a product that doesn't fit was kind of absurd but for 299, I won't care that much about hacking on it lol. 

pyroth309
Visionary
This was a good read and has me optimistic. Also my headset is stuck in tennessee delayed until friday. Thankgiving headaches I guess lol. 

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/9yqlcu/i_was_so_wrong_about_the_samsung_odyssey_i_was_so/

pyroth309
Visionary
Finally got a headset in this afternoon so here's my initial impressions after a couple of hours of use.

Installation - A breeze after identifying a technical issue. Plugged it in, windows automatically detected it and it installed the software. Went to SteamVR and installed Windows Mixed Reality for SteamVR and launched it from steam and I'm in steamVR. Pretty simple. From there it's just normal SteamVR supersampling settings. I haven't tried Re-Vive yet as I'll need more time to figure that out. The Tech issue I had was a loud static sound. Turned out that my active USB cable extension doesn't have enough power across it for this headset. I had to plug it directly to my PC which has made my play space pretty dang small as the cable is short. I'll have to get a powered extension cable to try.

Software - It's definitely clunkier than the Rift or PSVR but it works good enough. I haven't exactly figured out what all I can do in the cliff house yet but I was able to navigate and launch games with no problem.

Visuals - Oh yea, this is the highlight. It looks really good. There's hardly any SDE except on white background as others have said and it's a tiny near invisible pattern. The blurring I was worried about is so subtle that you don't even notice it unless you are REALLY looking for it. Nothing looks soft to me in the headset unless I'm nitpicking, pleasantly surprised. I'm running 172% supersample with a GTX 1080 to start, I will lower and raise as I have more time to experiment and see what the effects are. I can definitely see text and small things farther than I can in the rift but it's not a big difference. What is a big difference though is everything else looking very crisp and nice. It's absolutely worth the tradeoff of some small object blur. Watching movies looks so good.

Fit - I'm stunned to report that this thing fits me great and is actually more comfortable for me than the rift with only a little bit of light bleed on the far sides. I actually have no complaints and don't even need to do a velcro mod to it. I can definitely see though how people with a smaller face will have issues but happy it's not me! lol

Tracking - It's sufficient but obviously inferior to Rift. There's some judder here and there and as mentioned you can't raise them over your head to good effect but I was able to play shooters no problem and also threw some td passes in 2MD football with no issues. I don't see it working in Beat saber on the tougher expert or expert+ tracks though. I prefer it to PSVR tracking. The controllers are kinda weird and blocky. Far Far inferior to Oculus Touch but they work.

All in all I'm happy it only cost me 300 bucks and will definitely be using this thing a lot for awhile. I'll report back if opinion changes.

*Edit* Changed supersample amount. 

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

pyroth309 said:

Finally got a headset in this afternoon so here's my initial impressions after a couple of hours of use.

Installation - A breeze after identifying a technical issue. Plugged it in, windows automatically detected it and it installed the software. Went to SteamVR and installed Windows Mixed Reality for SteamVR and launched it from steam and I'm in steamVR. Pretty simple. From there it's just normal SteamVR supersampling settings. I haven't tried Re-Vive yet as I'll need more time to figure that out. The Tech issue I had was a loud static sound. Turned out that my active USB cable extension doesn't have enough power across it for this headset. I had to plug it directly to my PC which has made my play space pretty dang small as the cable is short. I'll have to get a powered extension cable to try.

Software - It's definitely clunkier than the Rift or PSVR but it works good enough. I haven't exactly figured out what all I can do in the cliff house yet but I was able to navigate and launch games with no problem.

Visuals - Oh yea, this is the highlight. It looks really good. There's hardly any SDE except on white background as others have said and it's a tiny near invisible pattern. The blurring I was worried about is so subtle that you don't even notice it unless you are REALLY looking for it. Nothing looks soft to me in the headset unless I'm nitpicking, pleasantly surprised. I'm running 140% supersample with a GTX 1080 to start, I will lower and raise as I have more time to experiment and see what the effects are. I can definitely see text and small things farther than I can in the rift but it's not a big difference. What is a big difference though is everything else looking very crisp and nice. It's absolutely worth the tradeoff of some small object blur. Watching movies looks so good.

Fit - I'm stunned to report that this thing fits me great and is actually more comfortable for me than the rift with only a little bit of light bleed on the far sides. I actually have no complaints and don't even need to do a velcro mod to it. I can definitely see though how people with a smaller face will have issues but happy it's not me! lol

Tracking - It's sufficient but obviously inferior to Rift. There's some judder here and there and as mentioned you can't raise them over your head to good effect but I was able to play shooters no problem and also threw some td passes in 2MD football with no issues. I don't see it working in Beat saber on the tougher expert or expert+ tracks though. I prefer it to PSVR tracking. The controllers are kinda weird and blocky. Far Far inferior to Oculus Touch but they work.

All in all I'm happy it only cost me 300 bucks and will definitely be using this thing a lot for awhile. I'll report back if opinion changes.

Thank you for the great (mini/intro-)review, I did have the opportunity to get one for $360 + shipping + VAT the other day but passed. I do have a large head too - maybe it'll fit just fine (I did read mixed opinions about wearing glasses - seems to work great for some). If you play games like especially Doom VFR and/or Fallout 4 I'd be very interested to hear about your experience - movies and Doom VFR would be my primary reasons for getting an Odyssey+. 
I only play when it's dark, so light bleed shouldn't be a problem - and it seems the controllers work fine in a semi-dark room. 

pyroth309
Visionary

RuneSR2 said:

Thank you for the great (mini/intro-)review, I did have the opportunity to get one for $360 + shipping + VAT the other day but passed. I do have a large head too - maybe it'll fit just fine (I did read mixed opinions about wearing glasses - seems to work great for some). If you play games like especially Doom VFR and/or Fallout 4 I'd be very interested to hear about your experience - movies and Doom VFR would be my primary reasons for getting an Odyssey+. 
I only play when it's dark, so light bleed shouldn't be a problem - and it seems the controllers work fine in a semi-dark room. 

Doom was one of the games I played last night. I'm working this weekend so my playtime is low but, it ran and worked great. Guns were properly aligned, smooth motion worked good and it looked great.

I posted my thoughts before passing out and left out a couple of important things. So the sweet spot is definitely smaller than the Rift. The overall FOV feels wider but it still feels like you're in a scuba mask or something. What is different though is the effective FoV that is not blurred feels smaller. So if you look off to the sides with your eyes it's blurry. I have to get my eyes perfectly aligned in the center of the sweetspot for it not to bug me. Fortunately for me, it's easy to do as the headset fits my head properly. For others, i could see this being a huge dealbreaker. For me, I don't even have to adjust the band, i can just slip the thing on and off and it's great. Still in shock this morning about that after all the reviews I read.

Also, I have no issues with the concentric rings at all. Yea I can see them if I shift my view focus to look for them but when I'm looking at the game I never notice them.

I will get around to Fallout 4 when I'm off again. I don't have it downloaded and need to do all that. I also can't comment on Glasses because I don't wear them... yet. But I do feel like my eyes are pretty close to the screen, not sure how glasses would work in this tbh. I feel like you'd be too far back and have bad FoV. Maybe contacts or inserts would work.

pyroth309
Visionary
Some more comments as I'm remembering them while sipping my coffee at work lol. 

Because the headband fits my noggin properly, I didn't have any issues with the speakers not covering my ears like some. I could easily see this being a problem because if the Face part isn't sitting flush against your face to prevent light bleed, your only solution is to lift the back of the band up higher on your head...which in turn raises the speakers up(or do the velcro mod). The sound quality is pretty good from the speakers but I personally think Rifts are better with more bass. 

The colors of this screen are really good and vibrant. I was pretty impressed by that. There is a Mura effect that I noticed is visible in pitch black on my headset but it's nowhere near as bad as the PSVR or anything. I haven't tried elite dangerous yet so I hope it's not a problem.

There is definitely pros and cons to this headset when comparing it to the Rift but ultimately the Rift is a superior experience when you take everything into account. For me, it's gonna be hard to go back to the Rift lenses so I may stick with this until the Rift 1.5 or whatever comes out lol. 

Also, as a seated experience it's really convenient that you don't have to worry about pulling out/moving sensors or any of that. Just throw it on and off you go. I was going to try Project cars 2 last night but forgot that my nephew borrowed my Xbox controller (My wheel broke awhile back and haven't gotten another yet). I'll dig up a dual shock and give that a go this evening. I'm also going to jump in some simulations.