cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GPU Temperature Rise - High usage during Home browser use only and not being reported by Windows

There was a recent thread regarding GPU fan speed whilst playing games but this one is different....

After openning the Oculus desktop app (Core 2.0) GPU temp is rising from an ambient 37 deg to 65 wihtin 2 mins with no VR app being run.

Weirder still is that task manager is reporting no GPU use (well less than 1%), closing the desktop app returns temp to normal.

I've been running the latest nVidia 390.65 for 2 weeks and this has only just started happening so I don't think the driver is the culprit. Anyone else having this issue?

*Thread title edited to better describe problem.

55 REPLIES 55

Asryan2a
Honored Guest
Hi,

Any fix for this? My gpu goes fro 38 to 52 just by launching the Oculus Home. Got an oculus today and that is annoying !

Thanks

Hi @Asryan2a

This is still an issue and I haven't heard of a fix. I've gotten used to closing Home whenever I've finished using my Rift but that's not a proper solution. I'd really like to hear something official about why the GPU is being worked without the Rift being worn and whether a solution is being worked on... both for this and for the specific issue that Windows is not reporting any GPU use whilst this is happening.

By the speed that my GPU rises in temperature, I'd estimate it's running at maybe a third of its TDP. I can only guess how many people leave Home running after exiting a game not realising that this is happening if their card is like mine and remains silent. It's annoying if you're anything like me and super conscious of energy saving, not to mention avoiding unnecessary wear & tear on components. At least this GPU use isn't cumulative when using the Rift... it just shouldn't be there when not gaming.

All I can say is once again, close Home when not wearing the Rift.

Oculus, any chance of some input on this?

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
No fix, just the way this and all other 3D apps work imho.  1.32/Core 2.0 home uses a lot of cpu and gpu resources (~25-40%, depending on your system and settings).  When you startup a game this usage (except a very small amount of Dash cpu) switches over to the game/app.  I have a few high demand 3D apps (eg. X-plane 11 flight sim) that can use up to 90% gpu usage with my gtx1080ti.  This can really crank gpu temps up a lot more (~80 deg C).
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

I think what I'd question is... why is Home a 3D app when all that's active is the desktop 2D browser. The virtual desktop is created but that in itself is just an extended 2D desktop with a higher resolution unless I'm mistaken. If Dash is running, does it need to be without the Rift being worn?

When you put on the Rift, there's still a loading process for the 3D environment so it doesn't appear thet your VR Home is being pre-rendered, so what exactly is the nature of the work being done?

As I say, a lot of people probably leave Home running on their desktop without using the Rift and that's drawing power, I think unnecessarily.

And the other important question being GPU use reporting... it just isn't happening for the virtual desktop. Windows reports 0% use with the card (at my guess) at 30-40%.

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
Sorry I don’t mean to trivialize your concerns but I kinda doubt that many Rift users are running high resource demand non-VR games/apps with Oculus home running while their Rift is not in use.

Also, I cannot  really follow your last concern’s logic.  Maybe I’m missing something?
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

You misunderstand what @Asryan2a and I am saying, we're not saying that people are running high resource apps. We're saying Oculus Home is the app that's demanding GPU resource, when the only thing running is the desktop 2D browser element of Home. Which is what's happening for everyone that opens Home without wearing the Rift, i.e. before you put the Rift on or after you take it off.

This GPU use is not being reported by Windows, meaning when you open Windows task manager, GPU use is reported as being at 0% or close to it depending on what other apps you may have running. Even though GPU temperatures are rising to indicate approx. 30% to 40% use. So there is clearly a problem with GPU reporting for the Virtual monitor.... the virtual monitor is what's created as soon as you initiate Home, regardless of whether the Rift is in use.

If you don't have temperature monitoring software, you probably won't be aware that your GPU is being worked if it remains silent which mine does at this level of usage and that makes correct reporting via Windows quite important imo.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary

Hi @Asryan2a

This is still an issue and I haven't heard of a fix. I've gotten used to closing Home whenever I've finished using my Rift but that's not a proper solution. I'd really like to hear something official about why the GPU is being worked without the Rift being worn and whether a solution is being worked on... both for this and for the specific issue that Windows is not reporting any GPU use whilst this is happening.

By the speed that my GPU rises in temperature, I'd estimate it's running at maybe a third of its TDP. I can only guess how many people leave Home running after exiting a game not realising that this is happening if their card is like mine and remains silent. It's annoying if you're anything like me and super conscious of energy saving, not to mention avoiding unnecessary wear & tear on components. At least this GPU use isn't cumulative when using the Rift... it just shouldn't be there when not gaming.

All I can say is once again, close Home when not wearing the Rift.

Oculus, any chance of some input on this?

@DaftnDirect - That kinda sucks if it is still using your GPU, it shouldn't be using any resources after you take your headset off. How are you closing Oculus Home? Are just by clicking the cross in the top right corner after taking off your headset, or are you having to close it a different way? I want to make sure my Oculus Home is closed if it doesn't work by just clicking the cross top right. Oculus need to fix this if it isn't closing the way I'm currently doing it, is @cybereality aware of this?

LZoltowski
Champion
Ok, I just did a test,

Idle, GPU 40c
When Oculus app opened but not in VR GPU 41/42c

When messing about in home, max temp 51c

Then I took off the headset, temps return to around 42/43c

Closing Home completely returns it to 40c

From what I can gather, when the home is opened GPU is put into MAX Power state, meaning it may not be taxed but more power is being delivered to it, slightly raising the temperatures without any extra load.

GPU has like 4 power states, and they can generate extra heat even though the load is not much higher, this temperature jump can vary from GPU to GPU (how good is the actual chip aka silicone lottery), what thermal compound you have, what fan curves you have set up, or if you are using liquid vs air cooling.

2afjtmo6xi7a.jpg

Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

Hey LZ, where you been?

OK now I'm curious! The temp on my Maxwell Titan rises from an ambient 37 to 69 in approx. 5 minutes and takes around 3 minutes to return to ambient when Home closes, maybe less.

This high is no doubt a combination of factors including what speed the fan is set to and the power draw. Mine is at stock speeds which is around 1000 rpm at ambient rising to 1400 at 70.

You could be right that this is a result of a power state change, not GPU usage but for my card it's a huge rise in temperature for no gain during Home use without the Rift in use.

I guess what I'm saying is, there must be a lot of people like me (and Asryan2a) who are having significant temp increases indicating not insignificant power use and if this is the route cause, I'd still like to see a fix whereby GPU power state isn't increased until the Rift is in use.

I'd welcome other people's input regarding their cards temps and what their card is... also curious how this effects 2080ti cards which are already stretching the limits of the ATX power specification!

LZoltowski
Champion

Hey LZ, where you been?

OK now I'm curious! The temp on my Maxwell Titan rises from an ambient 37 to 69 in approx. 5 minutes and takes around 3 minutes to return to ambient when Home closes, maybe less.

This high is no doubt a combination of factors including what speed the fan is set to and the power draw. Mine is at stock speeds which is around 1000 rpm at ambient rising to 1400 at 70.

You could be right that this is a result of a power state change, not GPU usage but for my card it's a huge rise in temperature for no gain during Home use without the Rift in use.

I guess what I'm saying is, there must be a lot of people like me (and Asryan2a) who are having significant temp increases indicating not insignificant power use and if this is the route cause, I'd still like to see a fix whereby GPU power state isn't increased until the Rift is in use.

I'd welcome other people's input regarding their cards temps and what their card is... also curious how this effects 2080ti cards which are already stretching the limits of the ATX power specification!

Yeah all totally valid points, that is quite a jump .... mine are not as sharp as yours, mine is cooled by water AIO, so the ramp up and ramp down temp takes longer to equalise. But the temp difference between Oculus App running and not running (without HMD being on) was quite minimal, a couple of degrees C.

I wonder what is happening there 😐

Super busy with work at the moment, so I just poke my head in to check on the troublemakers 😉
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂