cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Rift community Dies

Anonymous
Not applicable
It's extremely clear that the Rift community was always a tiny slice of the gaming community, but we supported it anyway thinking it would grow...

and regardless of whatever statistic you want to quote, it is really really really obvious that in fact, the community shrinks, there are no players in the online games, the rift breaks all the time and you don't get response from the support, you post in the forum but it takes days or maybe never before a reply... 

RIP RIFT! 
145 REPLIES 145

Digikid1
Consultant

snowdog said:

Digikid1 said:

I believe it is time for a lock and delete. 

@LZoltowski

I disagree. These threads where I'm sexually harassing @vannagirl need to be kept open!!!

Good point. However I think you should be scared of @vannagirl.....

VERY VERY scared.  😄 😄

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm not worried, she loves me too much to kill me, plus I'm more mobile now that I've ditched the crutches so she'll find it more difficult to run me over. 😄

DigitalDeviant
Protege

Neokin said:

Tim74UK said:

MY Laptop meets oculus requirements... GTX1060 installed not a hybrid. 

No. Only laptops that have been approved "Oculus Ready" meet the Oculus requirements.

This is simply not true. So far as I can tell, my Dell G5 with 1060 is not listed as 'Oculus Ready' and the Dell blurb doesn't mention VR - but Geforce experience  deems my machine 'VR READY' because it exceeds the minimum specification required. Oculus are simply advocating those particular machines you point out, one could say they are sponsoring them [and probably stand to benefit from linked sales]...but to say they are the ONLY machines approved and therefor worthy, would be very limiting and a bit silly.

@DaftnDirect - I agree, it isnt difficult. OP is just being a bit of a bellend if you ask me. I like how the thread is lit with people trying to help him but if OP just wants to have a tantrum, it is just going to be a waste of time.

@Mradr - I'm really not one to be dragged into arguing the advocates of this platform Vs that platform [i may have just lied]. But...laptops are simply not what they used to be which is to say, they used to be a joke compared to desktops and that simply isn't the case anymore. All those benchmarks you linked to show is that a mobile 1060 is running almost all of the games way above 60 FPS and since most laptop displays are limited to 60hz, that's more than good enough!
With a few settings tweaks a mobile 1060 can hold its own against a desktop variant. NO its not ever going to beat it to the post but FOR ME and many users, that doesn't matter. You can keep those extra FPS, they are no good to me and I'd rather have a mobile gaming rig anyway.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

OMAW3D said:

Neokin said:

No. Only laptops that have been approved "Oculus Ready" meet the Oculus requirements.

This is simply not true. So far as I can tell, my Dell G5 with 1060 is not listed as 'Oculus Ready' and the Dell blurb doesn't mention VR - but Geforce experience  deems my machine 'VR READY' because it exceeds the minimum specification required.

We're mixing and maching terms here. Just because some 3rd Party tool like the GeForce Experience says "VR Ready" doesn't mean that a machine is ready to power the Rift error-free.
  • VR Ready <> Oculus Ready
  • VR <> Oculus

VR is a platform for console, mobile, and PC. It is implemented in a variety of ways: 360 Media, Unreal Engine, WebVR, Unity. The phrase "VR Ready" doesn't mean anything, nor guarantee anything, when it comes to actually launching a specific VR Platform. So as Neokin said, the best way to meet the requirements to run the Oculus Rift is with a machine that has been approved as "Oculus Ready" using their Oculus Compatibility Check Tool:

Anonymous
Not applicable
Well my boxer shorts are @vannagirl Ready but she's having none of it. 😞

Anonymous
Not applicable

OMAW3D said:
@Mradr - I'm really not one to be dragged into arguing the advocates of this platform Vs that platform [i may have just lied]. But...laptops are simply not what they used to be which is to say, they used to be a joke compared to desktops and that simply isn't the case anymore. All those benchmarks you linked to show is that a mobile 1060 is running almost all of the games way above 60 FPS and since most laptop displays are limited to 60hz, that's more than good enough!
With a few settings tweaks a mobile 1060 can hold its own against a desktop variant. NO its not ever going to beat it to the post but FOR ME and many users, that doesn't matter. You can keep those extra FPS, they are no good to me and I'd rather have a mobile gaming rig anyway.

Except that goal isn't to hit 60 fps it is to hit 90 fps for VR. That is the major oversight people don't take into account either. Sure - 60Hz is good enough for a lot of things - but unless VR comes out with something that can help push it to the same levels as a normal flat game - how can you say 60 fps is good enough in this case?

https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-1060-Mobile-vs-Nvidia-GTX-1060-6GB/m164336vs3639

Most of the games that hit over 60 FPS are games older than most meaning they been optermise over many years to a point they can even reach that level. Then you have to take in the fact that VR takes another 40% more FPS to run said game in VR. Your Fortnite game would crash from 91 FPS to down to 54-55 FPS running in VR. You would have to run ASW all the time and/or enable static FOVR just to scale back up. With the desktop version - you be on the edge for ASW to kick in - but otherwise fine. I'm just saying 20% can make or break the difference so you can't just side step the fact that laptops are at the same level as a desktop. Performance is performance. Good enough is the only goal post that moves. IF you are taking about flat games - then yes - agree laptops can hold their own for some titles. When it comes to VR, on the other hand, laptops are not there yet. They will be soon and I am sure with the 20s and the 30s cards coming out - that all will change.

LZoltowski
Champion
I was going to say please stay on topic, but I am not sure what the topic was originally. *sigh*
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
I believe the original topic was... the Undead.

Techy111
MVP
MVP
Anybody mentions Ironing again and I'll lock the thread, understood  😮 Such a thing as dry cleaners folks !!!!
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

Morgrum
Expert Trustee

wiga7covz13j.gif

WAAAGH!