The Rift community Dies - Page 3 — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

The Rift community Dies

Comments

• snowdogsnowdog Posts: 6,366 Valuable Player
    You won't get any pay for doing it. That sort of thing is your duty that you were born with. Cooking and cleaning also needs doing, and when you've done that I'll be waiting in the bedroom with my handcuffs, leg irons and whipped cream  :D
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • kzintzikzintzi Posts: 1,068
    Wintermute
    vannagirl said:
    Thread about end of rift community has 55 comments, 766 views

Ohh the ironing!
    I was going to say a similar thing... I come on here 3 times a day, and there are too many threads about way too much stuff for me to read it all; for a dead community, you all type a hell of a lot.
    Though you are more than slightly incoherent, I agree with you Madam,
    a plum is a terrible thing to do to a nostril.
  • kzintzikzintzi Posts: 1,068
    Wintermute
    snowdog said:
    You won't get any pay for doing it. That sort of thing is your duty that you were born with. Cooking and cleaning also needs doing, and when you've done that I'll be waiting in the bedroom with my handcuffs, leg irons and whipped cream  :D
    @snowdog, if you can get yourself into that stuff on your own, I don't think you need @vannagirl :tongue:

Though you are more than slightly incoherent, I agree with you Madam,
    a plum is a terrible thing to do to a nostril.
  • Digikid1Digikid1 Posts: 1,836 Valuable Player
    I believe it is time for a lock and delete. 

@LZoltowski
  • RattyUKRattyUK Posts: 583
    Neo
    Oi! Can you lot shut up!!!  You're all supposed to be dead, how am I supposed to sleep with all this racket going on?
    PC info: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, Asus ROG Crosshair VII Hero, 16GB Tforce Pro Dark DDR4 3200, Gigabyte GTX 1080, Samsung 870 Pro M.2, 2x 240GB SSD, 3TB WD Green HDD & 4 TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, Corsair Modular 750w PSU, custom watercooling loop. (Win 10 Pro & Opensuse Leap 15 Linux) 32" AOC 4K Monitor.

Laptop: Aorus X5 V6-CF1 (I7-6820HK, GTX 1070, 2* 256GB M.2 NVME, 1TB 7200 HDD 3K screen)
    Digikid1 said:

@LZoltowski

I disagree. These threads where I'm sexually harassing @vannagirl need to be kept open!!!
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

• falken76falken76 Posts: 2,734 Valuable Player
    Tim74UK said:
    Even "VR Ready" is basically just a marketing term, especially concerning laptops. Oculus Ready actually requires that the hardware is tested and validated. As far as I know, anyone is free to slap a "VR Ready" sticker on whatever they want, regardless if it actually works. I mean, there are "VR Ready" hard drives.. what does that even mean?

RattyUK said:
    Tim74UK said:
    MY Laptop meets oculus requirements... GTX1060 installed not a hybrid. 
    So you don't have the laptop that you posted - or did Asus mess up with their specifications?

Hybrid - both Intel & 3rd party GPU installed.  Whichever has priority set - do I really need to be bothered?
    Actually... VR ready means the laptop or computer meets the minimum systems requirements to run VR. 
    • Nvidia 960 or greater (down from Nvidia GTX 970 / AMD 290 equivalent or greater)
    • Intel i3-6100 / AMD FX4350 or greater (down from Intel i5-4590 equivalent or greater)
    • 8GB+ RAM (same)
    • Compatible HDMI 1.3 video output (same)
    • 1x USB 3.0, 2x USB 2.0 (change from 2x USB 3.0 ports)
    I know you are the community manager here and so I am a little surprised at this answer from you. I know that laptops weren't a good option before, but things changed the last generation with the 10 series NVIDIA cards. The increased number of cores along with a super efficient power draw meant desktop grade punch in a laptop. 

And BTW I still have not heard back from support or had an acknowledgement of my support ticket I rose five days ago. 

So yeah... Oculus obviously couldn't give a flying F about the community. 

Is that what it really means?  Is that why the linked hard drive is labled "VR Ready"?  It's a marketing gimick and the manufacturer of your laptop is responsible for putting "VR Ready" on their box, just like the hard drive manufacture linked in the example picture you ignored is responsible for putting "VR Ready" on their hard drive even though it has no relevence whatsoever.  Others have posted the "High Def Makeup" pics, this is marketing that Oculus had nothing to do with, it was the party that made your laptop, ask them why they put VR ready when the most popular VR headset isn't working with it.

" but things changed the last generation with the 10 series NVIDIA cards. The increased number of cores along with a super efficient power draw meant desktop grade punch in a laptop. "

That's your assumption and you are wrong.  Laptop cards are half assed corner cut versions of their desktop couterparts because they need to account for the footprint of the laptop and the heating/power issues they have to work out.

• Digikid1Digikid1 Posts: 1,836 Valuable Player
    snowdog said:
    Digikid1 said:

@LZoltowski

I disagree. These threads where I'm sexually harassing @vannagirl need to be kept open!!!
    Good point. However I think you should be scared of @vannagirl.....

VERY VERY scared.  :D :D
    I'm not worried, she loves me too much to kill me, plus I'm more mobile now that I've ditched the crutches so she'll find it more difficult to run me over. :D

• OMAW3DOMAW3D Posts: 33
    Brain Burst
    edited November 2018
    Neokin said:
    Tim74UK said:
    MY Laptop meets oculus requirements... GTX1060 installed not a hybrid. 

No. Only laptops that have been approved "Oculus Ready" meet the Oculus requirements.

This is simply not true. So far as I can tell, my Dell G5 with 1060 is not listed as 'Oculus Ready' and the Dell blurb doesn't mention VR - but Geforce experience  deems my machine 'VR READY' because it exceeds the minimum specification required. Oculus are simply advocating those particular machines you point out, one could say they are sponsoring them [and probably stand to benefit from linked sales]...but to say they are the ONLY machines approved and therefor worthy, would be very limiting and a bit silly.

@DaftnDirect - I agree, it isnt difficult. OP is just being a bit of a bellend if you ask me. I like how the thread is lit with people trying to help him but if OP just wants to have a tantrum, it is just going to be a waste of time.

@Mradr - I'm really not one to be dragged into arguing the advocates of this platform Vs that platform [i may have just lied]. But...laptops are simply not what they used to be which is to say, they used to be a joke compared to desktops and that simply isn't the case anymore. All those benchmarks you linked to show is that a mobile 1060 is running almost all of the games way above 60 FPS and since most laptop displays are limited to 60hz, that's more than good enough!
    With a few settings tweaks a mobile 1060 can hold its own against a desktop variant. NO its not ever going to beat it to the post but FOR ME and many users, that doesn't matter. You can keep those extra FPS, they are no good to me and I'd rather have a mobile gaming rig anyway.
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 13,621 Valuable Player
    edited November 2018
    OMAW3D said:
    Neokin said:

No. Only laptops that have been approved "Oculus Ready" meet the Oculus requirements.

This is simply not true. So far as I can tell, my Dell G5 with 1060 is not listed as 'Oculus Ready' and the Dell blurb doesn't mention VR - but Geforce experience  deems my machine 'VR READY' because it exceeds the minimum specification required.

We're mixing and maching terms here. Just because some 3rd Party tool like the GeForce Experience says "VR Ready" doesn't mean that a machine is ready to power the Rift error-free.
    • VR Ready <> Oculus Ready
    • VR <> Oculus

VR is a platform for console, mobile, and PC. It is implemented in a variety of ways: 360 Media, Unreal Engine, WebVR, Unity. The phrase "VR Ready" doesn't mean anything, nor guarantee anything, when it comes to actually launching a specific VR Platform. So as Neokin said, the best way to meet the requirements to run the Oculus Rift is with a machine that has been approved as "Oculus Ready" using their Oculus Compatibility Check Tool:

Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
    Well my boxer shorts are @vannagirl Ready but she's having none of it. :(

• MradrMradr Posts: 3,348 Valuable Player
    edited November 2018
    OMAW3D said:
    @Mradr - I'm really not one to be dragged into arguing the advocates of this platform Vs that platform [i may have just lied]. But...laptops are simply not what they used to be which is to say, they used to be a joke compared to desktops and that simply isn't the case anymore. All those benchmarks you linked to show is that a mobile 1060 is running almost all of the games way above 60 FPS and since most laptop displays are limited to 60hz, that's more than good enough!
    With a few settings tweaks a mobile 1060 can hold its own against a desktop variant. NO its not ever going to beat it to the post but FOR ME and many users, that doesn't matter. You can keep those extra FPS, they are no good to me and I'd rather have a mobile gaming rig anyway.
    Except that goal isn't to hit 60 fps it is to hit 90 fps for VR. That is the major oversight people don't take into account either. Sure - 60Hz is good enough for a lot of things - but unless VR comes out with something that can help push it to the same levels as a normal flat game - how can you say 60 fps is good enough in this case?

https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-1060-Mobile-vs-Nvidia-GTX-1060-6GB/m164336vs3639

Most of the games that hit over 60 FPS are games older than most meaning they been optermise over many years to a point they can even reach that level. Then you have to take in the fact that VR takes another 40% more FPS to run said game in VR. Your Fortnite game would crash from 91 FPS to down to 54-55 FPS running in VR. You would have to run ASW all the time and/or enable static FOVR just to scale back up. With the desktop version - you be on the edge for ASW to kick in - but otherwise fine. I'm just saying 20% can make or break the difference so you can't just side step the fact that laptops are at the same level as a desktop. Performance is performance. Good enough is the only goal post that moves. IF you are taking about flat games - then yes - agree laptops can hold their own for some titles. When it comes to VR, on the other hand, laptops are not there yet. They will be soon and I am sure with the 20s and the 30s cards coming out - that all will change.
  • Techy111Techy111 Posts: 5,517 Volunteer Moderator
    Anybody mentions Ironing again and I'll lock the thread, understood  :o Such a thing as dry cleaners folks !!!!
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

• MorgrumMorgrum Posts: 1,485
    Project 2501

WAAAGH!
  • GeekyGamiGeekyGami Posts: 104
    Art3mis
    edited November 2018
    RedRizla said:
    MAC_MAN86 said:
    I did say that Oculus Support should indeed test their Device for when our PCs need to roll back anything (drivers or system restore) as WIN10 then adds Special Admin Permissions that stop the Rift working!

How does it stop the Oculus Rift working by adding Admin permissions? Admin permission to what exactly and if that's the case why not just grant admin permission?

@cybereality some input needed on this if it is indeed an issue?
    I know what he's referring to

What's going on is that UAC is doing something very odd, but somewhat logical-

It's preventing an application running from a normal user account from speaking with an application running from an administrator account.

For fun, run OVRServer as administrator, and then launch the OculusDebug as normal user.

Oculus Debug should give you an error that says that it "can't find the server/can't speak to the server"

Server being OVRServer of course.

Due to this, all applications that have to speak with the server have to be on the same user account as the server.

This becomes an issue when tools like Oculus Tray Tool will not start because it needs to run as administrator, and you're on a normal user account, running OVRServer as said normal user account (A safety/security measure, need I remind you.)

This also means that to get around that, you have to run OVRServer as administrator, on top of running OTT as administrator, and then start your game and Steam as administrator, for everything to work without switching to an administrator account to do so.

I've gotten used to it, but others might find it incredibly annoying
  • vannagirlvannagirl Posts: 1,937 Valuable Player
    OMAW3D said:
    @DaftnDirect - I agree, it isnt difficult. OP is just being a bit of a bellend if you ask me. I like how the thread is lit with people trying to help him but if OP just wants to have a tantrum, it is just going to be a waste of time.
    If nothing else, this thread has reminded me of one of my favourite derogatory nouns. I just hope bellend isn't exclusively a British thing, it needs to be global imho.
    Share ;)
    Look, man. I only need to know one thing: where they are. 
  • BTobyBToby Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    This forum has me in a little shock.  I got oculus when it first came out on DK2.  I thorougly enjoyed the beginning experience.  When I had an issue with a couple things is when I started to get a little shy. I put it away for some time.  I just upgraded my computer and was looking forward to hooking the headset back up...(right now).  I have friends and family that are interested in some headsets.  Unfortunately I have multiple organ failure(heart, liver, kidneys).   VR is a great and awesome way for me to substitute and cope with my limited lifestyle. 

It seems the community has just plummeted.  I dont want to sound like a downer because I am a very optimistic and humble person.  I am a little shocked though. 

Its not just this thread... 

This has me bummed!!  GN guys(and gals).
  • RattyUKRattyUK Posts: 583
    Neo
    @BToby ; - if you read most threads in the forum the content varies from extremely friendly to fairly hostile, which matches content in the few fora I frequent.  Where there is a diverse membership there will be equally diverse content!
    With this thread (and a host of others in the same vein) members reacted to a verbal attack on the community - despite help being offered to the OP...
    Mostly the community here is (in comparison) pretty well behaved and welcoming, even if the sense of humour goes off on a tangent occasionally :)

Welcome from me, anyway.  I hope you visit often and see the better side of the contributors here too.
    PC info: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, Asus ROG Crosshair VII Hero, 16GB Tforce Pro Dark DDR4 3200, Gigabyte GTX 1080, Samsung 870 Pro M.2, 2x 240GB SSD, 3TB WD Green HDD & 4 TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, Corsair Modular 750w PSU, custom watercooling loop. (Win 10 Pro & Opensuse Leap 15 Linux) 32" AOC 4K Monitor.

Laptop: Aorus X5 V6-CF1 (I7-6820HK, GTX 1070, 2* 256GB M.2 NVME, 1TB 7200 HDD 3K screen)
  • kevinw729kevinw729 Posts: 4,318 Valuable Player
    RattyUK said:
    Mostly the community here is (in comparison) pretty well behaved and welcoming, even if the sense of humour goes off on a tangent occasionally :)

Welcome from me, anyway.  I hope you visit often and see the better side of the contributors here too.

I think you will find that after the personal attacks of the earlier period on this forum - a number of the regular posters left and set up either private groups (such as the VR_Commune, etc.,) or reverted to the various closed Facebook groups (such as the Oculus_Users_Group). It was a shame that due to various reasons this fragmentation happened, and that the official OVR forum has suffered. The examples of the attacks on the OP at the beginning of this post underlines the toxicity that can manifest itself here. But, the rest of us attempt to rise above it in order to still continue fruitful discussion.
    P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
  • OMAW3DOMAW3D Posts: 33
    Brain Burst
    Zenbane said:
     So as Neokin said, the best way to meet the requirements to run the Oculus Rift is with a machine that has been approved as "Oculus Ready" using their Oculus Compatibility Check Tool

I don't think I'm mixing terms here mate but i do think we disagree on the validity of certain 'VR READY' claims.
    I understand "VR READY" used by any old Joe is meaningless (remember 'vista ready' stickers on monitors lol) - but my example was my geforce experience system tool reporting my machine as "VR READY". Now, that might not meet the gold standard "Oculus Ready" badge of honour you guys seem to have a woody for but it is a GPU made by nvidia, you know the thing that delivers all those VR frames and really drives the VR experience, surely Nvidias opinion is worth something?

Also, that's not what Neokin said mate so you are misrepresenting why i disagreed with him.

He said; "No. Only laptops that have been approved "Oculus Ready" meet the Oculus requirements."

And that is simply not true, any sufficiently capable machine can meet Oculus requirements and the tool you linked to proves that. The Oculus requirements are nothing more than a set of minimum hardware requirements. These 'Oculus Ready' machines obviously meet or exceed those requirements and so prospective buyers can be assured they are getting a VR capable machine without needing to know anything about computer hardware - and that is all the 'Oculus ready' thing is about, its a marketing tool.

He even went on to suggest OP go and buy an 'Oculus Ready' laptop...
    My laptop didn't get that badge of honour in its marketing either but the Oculus tool reports it as VR ready. I suppose i should just bin it if in favour of an Oculus ready machine if i ever hit a problem?

"Except that goal isn't to hit 60 fps it is to hit 90 fps for VR"

I get that. We were doing the 'this for that' thing with desktop Vs laptop and I was speaking from my own, individual opinion and saying that for me, a mobile GPU holds its own against a desktop. I believe the benchmarks back that up simply because they show that you can get the PC gold standard of 60FPS from a mobile 1060 quite easily [flat screen gaming]. We can point out benchmarks tit for tat all day long but at the end of the day, that is my opinion and that's why i own a laptop today.
    Sure, the desktop will always ultimately outpace a laptop - but can you pop your desktop in a bag and carry it around with you? can you get it out and play it without a wall outlet? I also didnt buy this exclusively for VR, it is a work tool also. But it is still very VR capable so why not eh? When choosing a new machine mobility was a requirement over and above VR in my case, so much so that i paid a premium for it. Game spec laptops can be expensive!

Moving on to VR now and of the games in that list you linked to, the mobile GPU is getting 90fps + in 5/10 games already and that is without any tweaking and the broken mess of PUBG in the mix :) It is also worth pointing out that the majority of VR games have simplified graphics making these comparisons even less relevant. My favourite VR game to date is Arizona sunshine - great in VR! but on a flat screen the GFX are like an early Xbox 360 game and they pose absolutely no challenge at all for my laptop - it delivers 90 FPS + without sweating. The experience in that game and many other VR games would not change at all if i were playing it on a desktop PC instead.

So..if you want the absolute premium VR experience, with performance overhead to grow into AND you don't care to own a laptop then sure, you want a desktop. But to say a laptop is no good for VR is just plain wrong, I use Oculus on mine and the experience is great. Oculus themselves are advocating laptops with their 'oculus ready' marketing. Hell, there are great VR games that can be ran just fine on hardware that is BELOW the minimum requirements.
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 13,621 Valuable Player
    edited November 2018
    OMAW3D said:

I don't think I'm mixing terms here mate but i do think we disagree on the validity of certain 'VR READY' claims.

You are treating the phrase "VR Ready" as meaning the same as "Oculus Ready." So yes, you are mixing terms. VR Ready means nothing, and the GeForce experience notification has nothing to do with gauging an Oculus Ready machine.

He said; "No. Only laptops that have been approved "Oculus Ready" meet the Oculus requirements."

And that is simply not true, any sufficiently capable machine can meet Oculus requirements and the tool you linked to proves that.

What he said is very much true, and the tool I linked to is how a laptop comes to find out that it is Oculus Ready. You are not making much sense by introducing random terms like, "any sufficiently capable machine." Hmm? We're talking about either laptops or desktops for PCVR. The Oculus tool will tell you if that machine is Oculus Ready. And that is completely different than your argument of the GeForce experience showing something as "VR Ready."

You have added a healthy dose of confusion to the conversation.

OMAW3D said:
    So..if you want the absolute premium VR experience, with performance overhead to grow into AND you don't care to own a laptop then sure, you want a desktop. eat VR games that can be ran just fine on hardware that is BELOW the minimum requirements.

This is also wrong. It is possible to own both a laptop and a desktop. I own multiple laptops and desktops. I chose to have a desktop power my Rift because it will give a much better experience than a laptop can ever hope to achieve.

Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
This discussion has been closed.