cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Red Dead Redemption 2 PC?

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
I literally purchased a PlayStation for Red dead Redemption 2 yesterday and it's going back today. The Playstation controls really do suck when you are used to keyboard & mouse. What is it with RockStar that they can't just say if they intend bringing this game to the PC? I mean, why do some development teams choose to act all secretive about a game coming to the PC or not? When do you think we are most likely to hear something, or do you think it will just go the same way as the first Red dead Redemption and not arrive on the PC?

I didn't get chance to see if Red dead Redemption 2 is better then Grand Theft Auto V, which I have on my PC. But for those that have played both games what do you reckon? I'm talking about comparing the games now not the Playstation controller v Keyboard & Mouse. I just want to get an idea what Read dead 2 is like compared to GTA V. I thought it looked a really good game, but didn't stay on it long enough because I'm useless with the Playstation controller..
78 REPLIES 78

kojack
MVP
MVP
GTA V console release: september 2013.
GTA V PC release: april 2015.

Rockstar always does PC releases way after console.

I'm not holding my breath for RDR2 on PC any time soon.
Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

RedRizla
Honored Visionary

kojack said:

I might see what the online brings on Playstation 4 and if it's any good I might get a used Playstaion 4 instead of spending £329.99 on a Playstation 4 Pro with the game included. I don't think I can wait for over a year to play this game, but my god do the Console controllers suck. The aim I imagine is like trying to fire a riffle while you're completely drunk..

@kojack - Are you a Console gamer? How do you find the Playstion controller if you are?

RattyUK
Trustee
@RedRizla  - I have both PS3 & PS4 - both controllers are 'ok'  but the PS4 is the better of the two.  Battery life though is naff in comparison to the 3!  The nice thing is that on the 4 the controller can be charged from a normal charger rather than only from the console.
Both come nowhere near using KB & M but...   I've never particularly liked any of the games controllers but there are some games on the PC that still won't permit customised KB input sensibly - usually those ported from consoles!

Edit:  Because the joysticks are analogue aiming is pretty precise (just soooo sloooow!) once muscle memory is established.
PC info: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - Sapphire 7900XTX - 32GB DDR4 4000 - 3 NVMe + 3SATA SSD - Quest 2 & 3

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
@RattyUK - How long do the batteries last on the PlayStation 4 controllers? Do you have Red dead Redemption 2 and would you say it's worth getting a PS 4 for? The current Black Friday deal is RD 2 and PS 4 for £219, but would I get used to the Playstation controller after a while or would I keep thinking it suck lol?

RattyUK
Trustee
@RedRizla  the PS4 controller battery is good for about 6-8 hours use (PS3 was aroud 30!) but you can still use it while a 'phone charger is doing its thing (or a long USB cable from the console) so it isn't dreadful.
RDR2 isn't on my list of 'must have' games, sorry, so I honestly don't know!  The PS3/4 consoles were bought for specific games  (the Uncharted series, Midnight Club LA, Lego games...), pretty much what you are considering 🙂
If you are anything like me you will loathe the controller initially, then get used to it and be slightly less 'bleh!' about them - the PS4 controller is much more comfortable than PS3 and is around the same 'fit' now as X-Box controller for Windows...
ETA: And if you are a masochist the PS4 controller will connect to your PC via Bluetooth...
PC info: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - Sapphire 7900XTX - 32GB DDR4 4000 - 3 NVMe + 3SATA SSD - Quest 2 & 3

kojack
MVP
MVP

RedRizla said:

kojack said:

I might see what the online brings on Playstation 4 and if it's any good I might get a used Playstaion 4 instead of spending £329.99 on a Playstation 4 Pro with the game included. I don't think I can wait for over a year to play this game, but my god do the Console controllers suck. The aim I imagine is like trying to fire a riffle while you're completely drunk..

@kojack - Are you a Console gamer? How do you find the Playstion controller if you are?

The last console I owned was an Intellivision.
The last console I touched (but didn't own) was a Playstation 1.
🙂

But oddly enough I just bought a cheap PS4 Dual Shock 4 controller from china in the 11/11 sales on Aliexpress. But my intended use is different to most people. On Thursday I reverse engineered it's usb data and got my input library to decode everything (gyro data, touch pad, etc). I may never actually use it to play a game, I just wanted to see if I could get it running from C++. I've got a Nintendo joy con (the switch dual controllers) on the way too, for the same reason.

Generally I don't like the Playstation layout. I prefer Xbox controllers. Much better dpad (dual shock feels mushy on the dpad, the xbox one has sharp click on the buttons with almost no travel before the click). Then again both are vastly superior to a Steam Controller.

Games like GTA (and anything that involves aiming) are definitely keyboard/mouse for me. I use console controllers for games like dark souls.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

RattyUK
Trustee

kojack said:  snip...

Generally I don't like the Playstation layout. I prefer Xbox controllers. Much better dpad (dual shock feels mushy on the dpad, the xbox one has sharp click on the buttons with almost no travel before the click). Then again both are vastly superior to a Steam Controller.

I wasn't going to mention the Steam controller...  Yes, I bought one  >:)

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
Guess I might hold fire and see if Red Dead Redemption 2 is going to come to the PC. In the mean time I'll just play GTA V on PC and see if I can find myself a Cowboy Hat and Horse.. 

kojack
MVP
MVP

RattyUK said:

kojack said:  snip...

I wasn't going to mention the Steam controller...  Yes, I bought one  >:)

I do like the haptic motors in them.
But everything else is just bad. The action buttons are too small, the thumbstick is convex instead of concave (more likely to have your thumb slip), the underneath paddles are really the battery compartment cover, pressing one paddle and Valve won't give it an API for use outside of Steam (you just get emulation, there's no non-steam programmer support). The triggers have very little travel too, very hard to get an accurate value besides 0 or 100%.

I saw this yesterday in JB Hifi:
agl507idabck.jpg

Best for VR (Oculus Rift). Really? Why?