cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No more Screen Door Effect (SDE) - new Samsung Odyssey+ introduces perceived 1,233 PPI level res

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
So we've got:

Oculus Rift = 461 PPI
HTC Vive Pro = 615 PPI
Samsung Odyssey+ = 1233 PPI (level)

Actually Samsung Odyssey+ is 616 PPI like the Vive Pro, but some magic happens according to Samsung:

Limitless Viewing Experience

With exclusive, evolutionary, SDE-minimizing Samsung display technology, users can perceive a 1,233ppi-level resolution. A 3.5" advanced Anti-SDE Dual AMOLED display lets you experience incredibly immersive mixed reality, and break down the boundaries between the real and the virtual.

9jb3383mvym0.jpg

Looks interesting though, could be simply awesome for movies and Netflix, we'll see when the first reviews arrive - more info here:

https://www.samsung.com/hk_en/hmd/hmd-plus-xe800zba-hc1/

Some other improvements - design looks much like a copy of the Rift:

a5gb54dsw523.jpg

k51xqnacsbs1.jpg

by0be645p43a.jpg

85tbfy1a79ab.jpg

t1dyuuhmp5lw.jpg

It does actually look quite impressive - still those controllers look awful compared to Touch. Given enough time to evolve, Samsung may be a very serious contender, in fact Samsung could evolve to deserve a new logo!

wp5oennqvbip.jpg

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

205 REPLIES 205

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

pyroth309 said:

Some more comments as I'm remembering them while sipping my coffee at work lol. 

Because the headband fits my noggin properly, I didn't have any issues with the speakers not covering my ears like some. I could easily see this being a problem because if the Face part isn't sitting flush against your face to prevent light bleed, your only solution is to lift the back of the band up higher on your head...which in turn raises the speakers up(or do the velcro mod). The sound quality is pretty good from the speakers but I personally think Rifts are better with more bass. 

The colors of this screen are really good and vibrant. I was pretty impressed by that. There is a Mura effect that I noticed is visible in pitch black on my headset but it's nowhere near as bad as the PSVR or anything. I haven't tried elite dangerous yet so I hope it's not a problem.

There is definitely pros and cons to this headset when comparing it to the Rift but ultimately the Rift is a superior experience when you take everything into account. For me, it's gonna be hard to go back to the Rift lenses so I may stick with this until the Rift 1.5 or whatever comes out lol. 

Also, as a seated experience it's really convenient that you don't have to worry about pulling out/moving sensors or any of that. Just throw it on and off you go. I was going to try Project cars 2 last night but forgot that my nephew borrowed my Xbox controller (My wheel broke awhile back and haven't gotten another yet). I'll dig up a dual shock and give that a go this evening. I'm also going to jump in some simulations. 

I am truly worried about not being able to enjoy the Rift if I get used to Odyssey+. - And then I have to use glasses - I don't like having to use contacts or other solutions. Over here Odyssey+ will be something like $600 to $700 when adding shipping and VAT - one Ebay seller wants $430, just added it to the cart to check the full price - which ended up being $665 (Global Shipping automatically adds VAT). So it'll be a lot more expensive than $300 and then if it doesn't fit (with glasses)... As a supplement to the Rift, it could be a fun thing to give myself this Christmas  😄

BTW, it's easy to use both Rift and Odyssey+ on the same PC? - You just remove the cables from one and attach the other?

Sad that Oculus seems so keen on getting rid of the external sensors when in fact that's the part really making the Rift shine. 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD

pyroth309
Visionary

RuneSR2 said:

pyroth309 said:

Some more comments as I'm remembering them while sipping my coffee at work lol. 

Because the headband fits my noggin properly, I didn't have any issues with the speakers not covering my ears like some. I could easily see this being a problem because if the Face part isn't sitting flush against your face to prevent light bleed, your only solution is to lift the back of the band up higher on your head...which in turn raises the speakers up(or do the velcro mod). The sound quality is pretty good from the speakers but I personally think Rifts are better with more bass. 

The colors of this screen are really good and vibrant. I was pretty impressed by that. There is a Mura effect that I noticed is visible in pitch black on my headset but it's nowhere near as bad as the PSVR or anything. I haven't tried elite dangerous yet so I hope it's not a problem.

There is definitely pros and cons to this headset when comparing it to the Rift but ultimately the Rift is a superior experience when you take everything into account. For me, it's gonna be hard to go back to the Rift lenses so I may stick with this until the Rift 1.5 or whatever comes out lol. 

Also, as a seated experience it's really convenient that you don't have to worry about pulling out/moving sensors or any of that. Just throw it on and off you go. I was going to try Project cars 2 last night but forgot that my nephew borrowed my Xbox controller (My wheel broke awhile back and haven't gotten another yet). I'll dig up a dual shock and give that a go this evening. I'm also going to jump in some simulations. 

I am truly worried about not being able to enjoy the Rift if I get used to Odyssey+. - And then I have to use glasses - I don't like having to use contacts or other solutions. Over here Odyssey+ will be something like $600 to $700 when adding shipping and VAT - one Ebay seller wants $430, just added it to the cart to check the full price - which ended up being $665 (Global Shipping automatically adds VAT). So it'll be a lot more expensive than $300 and then if it doesn't fit (with glasses)... As a supplement to the Rift, it could be a fun thing to give myself this Christmas  😄

BTW, it's easy to use both Rift and Odyssey+ on the same PC? - You just remove the cables from one and attach the other?

Sad that Oculus seems so keen on getting rid of the external sensors when in fact that's the part really making the Rift shine. 

Yea I wouldn't pay 700 for this headset if I had a Rift. You won't be happy with it at that price especially as a glasses user unless 700 just means little to you lol. Even $600. $500 and below I could see a case for. As I mentioned, while it has a lot of positives it is not a perfect experience. Have you checked into a service like https://www.bigapplebuddy.com/ ?

As far as both working together, yea so far there's no issue. I just swap the HDMI's, I have extra USB 3 ports so the other cable I leave in. No software conflicts or anything but I haven't tried Re-Vive yet. We'll see what happens when I get time to mess with that. I may research that today if I get time as I want to try Beat Saber with these controllers. 

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

pyroth309 said:

Yea I wouldn't pay 700 for this headset if I had a Rift. You won't be happy with it at that price especially as a glasses user unless 700 just means little to you lol. Even $600. $500 and below I could see a case for. As I mentioned, while it has a lot of positives it is not a perfect experience. Have you checked into a service like https://www.bigapplebuddy.com/ ?

As far as both working together, yea so far there's no issue. I just swap the HDMI's, I have extra USB 3 ports so the other cable I leave in. No software conflicts or anything but I haven't tried Re-Vive yet. We'll see what happens when I get time to mess with that. I may research that today if I get time as I want to try Beat Saber with these controllers. 

Thanks - I can see that Big Apply Buddy charges $50 for the repacking and handling - and then they seem to use FedEx shipping (which may or may not be more expensive than the USPS - of course nothing beats FedEx Priority getting my stuff in less than 2 days). I just asked Big Apple Buddy to get me a quote on the Odyssey+ from the MS Store - I'll post their reply later, I guess shipping to the UK would be much the same (maybe a little less VAT, I think UK VAT is 20%). 

pyroth309
Visionary

RuneSR2 said:

pyroth309 said:

Thanks - I can see that Big Apply Buddy charges $50 for the repacking and handling - and then they seem to use FedEx shipping (which may or may not be more expensive than the USPS - of course nothing beats FedEx Priority getting my stuff in less than 2 days). I just asked Big Apple Buddy to get me a quote on the Odyssey+ from the MS Store - I'll post their reply later, I guess shipping to the UK would be much the same (maybe a little less VAT, I think UK VAT is 20%). 

Nice.

Yea I mostly bought this headset to play fallout/Doom and Movies myself and as a toy. I watched a few Videos with it last night and it looks great. I'm sure in a side by side the plus image would look blurry compared to the OG Odyssey but I never used or looked in an OG odyssey...or a Vive Pro (just an OG Vive briefly), so to me it looks great. Also, I actually was wrong....last night I was using 172% supersampling, not 140. Apparently I bumped it up and didn't notice lol. I verified that a minute ago while remoting into my PC. I'll have to buy that fps meter thing for SteamVR to see how the performance looks. Might be why I experienced some jutter occasionally with the tracking..could be bottoming out on frames. 

Overall though, Like I said, stuff in the far distance isn't sharp. You can basically see until it blends out in blur... but it's definitely not sharp on the oculus either because of SDE so I really feel like you don't lose anything and you gain clarity in the short-mid ranges. Also, I didn't notice any God Rays now that I think about it. I'll have to look for them. I plan to get a few hours in it tonight and I'll post if opinion changes after the initial excitement has worn off. I picked up Evasion also on Steam, gonna give that a whirl. 

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
And the response from Big Apple Buddy:

"Hi

Many thanks for getting in touch with us!

We’d love to help you out with the Samsung HMD Odyssey+.

To place an order, please visit our Shop and add the item to your cart. 

Please note that this promotion is only available while supplies last. The following Terms & Conditions apply:

•    The Black Friday promotion will be available beginning 18 November. 
•    We will try our best to secure the device for you at the sale price once the promotion becomes available. If the promotion is no longer available at time of purchase or is out of stock, we will refund your payment.
•    The item comes with a U.S. warranty so you would need to return the device to America for repairs. We’d be more than happy to assist you with this process, but you would need to pay for any shipping and store related charges. A US$50 service fee will also apply.
•    We are unable to provide store receipts to customers. However, a Big Apple Buddy invoice will be emailed to you upon payment.
•    You may be required to pay customs duties/import taxes once the parcel arrives in your country. 

If you have any questions, please let me know. Thanks!

Cheers"

I then asked for the shipping price, and shipping will be FedEx - but that'll require me to venture further into the ordering proces. Also some more Odyssey+ reviews emerged on Reddit - not really a big help, seems like Odyssey+ is either hit or miss:

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/a02j9b/just_tried_odyssey_still_prefer_rift_impressions/

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/9yqlcu/i_was_so_wrong_about_the_samsung_odyssey_i_was_so/

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/a03b88/returning_samsung_odyssey_and_sticking_to_ol/

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/9z49vj/my_opinions_on_cv1_vs_odyssey_after_a_few_hours/

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/9zq5rf/unimpressed_with_odyssey/

pyroth309
Visionary
I'm closer to the boat of that second to last review now. I ran into some games last night that weren't a good experience and they worked fine on the Rift. Talos Principle for example, I can't not see the concentric rings in that game. They're quite blinding actually. Elite dangerous I couldn't reduce the Zbuffering issue enough to make it tolerable. The same issue exists on my Rift but doesn't look so distracting...I guess that's a downside to clear optics lol. Skyrim VR I tried to get it to look decent and everything is blurry even when cranking the in game supersampling to max. I'll have to research more on that. Looks way worse than the Rift so I'm sure something's wrong with a setting somewhere, just didn't really have time to troubleshoot it. I moved on. Project Cars 2 looked really good. A bunch of other random games I tried looked good too, Gorn, Primordian, Titan Slayer, etc.

When you get a game that it works great with it looks awesome, but it's definitely a hit or miss experience so far.

Going to spend some time today doing more research. I also downloaded Fallout 4 going to check and see how it works tonight.

hoppingbunny123
Rising Star
if you have a nvidia card try adjusting the video tab, color settings, something lower than default might reduce the luma and make things more visible.

brightness, contrast, same value for both when adjusting, and lower saturation

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary

pyroth309 said:

What?

So Rift is superior but it's hard for you to go back to the Rift, so you'll stick with the O+  until Rift 1.5 comes along.

:s 

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.

pyroth309
Visionary

pyroth309 said:

What?

So Rift is superior but it's hard for you to go back to the Rift, so you'll stick with the O+  until Rift 1.5 comes along.

:s 

Hmm, not sure how that was hard to understand but I'll rephrase.

All I was saying is that Overall the Rift is superior because of everything it does. ASW, Tracking, Software, Performance etc. Despite all of those advantages, it's hard for *me* to go back to the RIft lenses after using the odyssey+ ones. But, I've already run into games that I'll still be playing on the RIft because of issues. As far as the Rift 1.5 comment, A Rift with new lenses/screens means I have no use for the Odyssey. 

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
So basically no overall clear winner in your case. You'll use each on a use case basis. But, when the O+ works it's better than the Rift, but sadly it doesn't always play ball so the Rift is not obsolete. If the O+ did work in all scenarios then the Rift would be right?

I am hearing from some folks that the distance objects look quite blurry compared to up close details on the O+. This is problematic in games like PCARS where distance details are important. What's your view on this?

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.