cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BANANAMANA - Action/Adventure game [WIP]

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi everyone!

I'm finally ready to share a first dev-log video for my new game called Bananamana!

Bananamana is a procedurally generated action/adventure game and I can't wait to share more details with you soon! Although I'm planning to release it first as a 2D,  "flat" game, I've been keeping VR in mind as I design it. I actually released a VR game called Twobit Odyssey for the Gear VR and Oculus Go a year ago , so I'm already familar with the awesomeness and limitations of VR... and I'm also very sensitive to motion sickness, so I'll make sure that Bananamana doesn't make you (and I) sick. I've already run some tests with the Oculus Rift and, I have to admit, the game looks awesome in VR!

There is still a long way to go but I can't wait to share more details with you soon! I'll keep posting updates and news on this thread!

Thank you all for your help and support, don't hesitate to let me know what you think 🙂

13 REPLIES 13

cybereality
Grand Champion
Looks great. Good luck!
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

Anonymous
Not applicable

Looks great. Good luck!

Thank you 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable
fuqt4m9hga5g.jpg4h24rcc4qmwp.jpg
q4lkwz1us1j0.jpg
iax3uppbyyhl.jpg

I've been really busy working on Bananamana! I finally got to tackle my
water shader and I think it looks awesome! I still have a few things to
fix but it's starting to look like what I intended it to be! I've also
implemented the game's main User Interface - still needs some work
though! Finally, I've added a screenshot that shows a rough day/night
cycle - if everything goes according to plans, it may be an important
part of the gameplay! A lot more to come soon, hopefully in the shape of
a new Dev-Log video!

Anonymous
Not applicable
ttoe1n4n9hzp.jpg

I
spent the holiday in my hometown in France visiting family and friends.
It is always a joy to spend Christmas there, especially with my two
young nephews who seem to share the same crazy passion for video games
as me and my brother do. Well, I usually can't stay idle for long... I
had my sketchbook with me and doodled all kind of stuff for Bananamana -
such as these cute slimes! I love brainstorming ideas on paper,
definitively keeps my creative juices flowing 😉 More to come soon!

Anonymous
Not applicable

New dev-log video for Bananamana! I've done so much work in the past few weeks! This video shows the new UI as well as the distance/melee weapons in action! Enemies now drop items when defeated! Well... they only release gold coins for now... but enemies always drop coins, don't they? So I had to start there 😉 Oh, and now you can also find chests! Finally, I've started working on each world's map and mini-maps! I've also fixed tons of minor issues and features here and there. Much more to come soon!

Anonymous
Not applicable
0g1hskeva9rb.jpgI've been putting this task on the back burner for a while, but it was
time to create a logo for Bananamana! Especially now that I've started
sharing more information and content about the game. I would like to
say a big thank you to everyone who helped me with the design! You all
rock! The logo went through several iterations in the past couple of
weeks - it will probably change in the future though, but it
definitively looks much better than the random-ish typeface I had
before.

Anonymous
Not applicable
zs2rt1ba95vy.jpgo3mrp6ceulvy.jpg
yd1z2s77sfuu.jpg
kw0buibf5ol5.jpg
sbupfft6clfj.jpg

I've added so many new features to Bananamana! Believe me, it was a real struggle to only select a handful of images! I will publish another devlog video by the end of the month, so keep an eye on it! So far I've implement flat-field terrains which give a nice sense of scale - Bananamana is procedurally generated though, so this is a feature that will give variation to the explorable regions. I've also worked on the void-crystals which are at the core of the gameplay - I will reveal more about these soon! Last and not least, I've started working on the dungeons! Well, you've probably started to figure out what Bananamana ultimately is about, right?... Let's see... randomly generated worlds, dungeons... I'll give you some answers in my next devlog video! I'm still using a lot of placeholder textures and models though - things will look much better as I progress with the game!

Devilstower
Expert Protege
The game is shaping up to be genuinely lovely, and each iteration seems to be bringing a richer, experience. As a lover of procedurally-generated games, I'm very much looking forward to this -- and to seeing how you adapt the UI and experience for VR.

Anonymous
Not applicable

The game is shaping up to be genuinely lovely, and each iteration seems to be bringing a richer, experience. As a lover of procedurally-generated games, I'm very much looking forward to this -- and to seeing how you adapt the UI and experience for VR.

Thank you! My previous game was VR, so I sort of learned (sometimes the hard way) how to make a UI work in VR... sometimes, the best way, is to have no UI at all so it doesn't break immersion. That being said, I'm currently  focusing my energy on the 'flat' version of the game, although I sometimes dive-in and plug in my Rift to see if the game still works in VR. And man, so far it does 😉 This is also what I learned with my previous game - it was exclusively VR and the market is currently way too small for me to survive... this is why I will release Bananamana as a 'flat' game first... but I keep VR in mind as I design it 🙂