New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Polygon Nightmare - Old School VR

123457»

Comments

• nalex66nalex66 Posts: 6,260 Volunteer Moderator
    Awesome, will give it a go tonight!
    i7 5820K @ 4.25GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32GB | Corsair HX 750W
    SSDs: Intel 660p M.2 2TB, Samsung 860 Evo 1TB, 850 Evo 1TB, 840 Evo 1TB | Startech 4 controller PCIe USB 3.0
  • elbofforelboffor Posts: 2,575 Valuable Player
    Same :)
    This is my forum signature.
    There are many others like it, but this is mine.
  • EnmarkEnmark Posts: 87
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited May 2017
    On tuesday i'm going to or tech museum in Stockholm.  To photograph and caress the real thing. ;)  
    but i don't expect it to work anymore!   :'(

Someday i want to go to the Leicester museum to try a working one! 

Thanks everyone for the support and happy retro memories  <3
  • RABIDRABID Posts: 172
    Art3mis
    i played it standing up in my Virtuix Omni. :D
  • Percy1983Percy1983 Posts: 1,410
    Wintermute
    I used a full working machine about a year ago, had 2 machines so a beat my brother in 2 player. Was at the play expo in Blackpool, its coming around this year in July, to which it may be back.
    Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 + 16GB RAM 1866mhz + i5-3570K at 4.5Ghz + Coolermaster Nepton 140XL cooler
    Sapphire 8GB RX 580 Nitro+
    256Gb SDD Samsung Evo 850 +3x2TB in raid 0 with 64GB SSD cache
    Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Edition + Toughpower 875w
  • DarkTenkaDarkTenka Posts: 1,078
    Wintermute
    Managed to play it today finally. Really cool man. I love the retro 3D style.

Well done.
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 6,260 Volunteer Moderator
    Tried it last night. Jeez, the limited FOV emulation is awful! Seems about right from what I remember, though. Makes you appreciate what we have now with the Rift, despite the complaints from some people about its "crappy" FOV.
    i7 5820K @ 4.25GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32GB | Corsair HX 750W
    SSDs: Intel 660p M.2 2TB, Samsung 860 Evo 1TB, 850 Evo 1TB, 840 Evo 1TB | Startech 4 controller PCIe USB 3.0
  • NamelessPFGNamelessPFG Posts: 83
    Hiro Protagonist
    nalex66 said:
    Tried it last night. Jeez, the limited FOV emulation is awful! Seems about right from what I remember, though. Makes you appreciate what we have now with the Rift, despite the complaints from some people about its "crappy" FOV.
    Funny thing is, the limited FOV emulation is still significantly larger than what I got out of the Virtual i-O i-glasses! VPC, and without the ridiculous screen door effect to boot! People don't realize how far we've come when it comes to home VR HMD tech.

As for other bits of my Polygon Nightmare first impression: the whole "move forward relative to your head, not to your hand" thing trips me up a lot after Onward set the standard of hand-oriented movement. I wonder if the original Dactyl Nightmare has that same issue.

Also, the game clearly wasn't devised with room-scale setups in mind; if you step out of your starting position, you wind up having an out-of-body experience, and I'm pretty sure I shot myself by accident because of this.

I also want to see if the original game spawned a new 'dactyl with those "Bird is hungry" warnings, because the existing ones floating above don't change their circular flight patterns to get you; instead, a new one spawns, just straight-up beelining right for you. Make sure you've got the right one sighted, because your gun probably won't reload in time for a second shot!
    Wintermute
    edited May 2017
    I'm not sure the limited FOV is working correctly for me, all it does is put a box around what I'm looking at and lower the resolution.

It's cool to see but I would have thought that should actually stretch out to be my actual display, rather than me looking at the screen from a far. Is that not what it's supposed to do?
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    It supposed to emulate the smaller FOV of the original headset it was designed for.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
    Wintermute
    It supposed to emulate the smaller FOV of the original headset it was designed for.
    Ah yea I understand now, I was thinking "FOV" in terms of flat, where when you increase/decrease FOV it stretches your display to match. I didn't quite put together that it was emulating the PHYSICAL FOV of the headset. Fair enough .. :P
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited May 2017
    NamelessPFG  said:

As for other bits of my Polygon Nightmare first impression: the whole "move forward relative to your head, not to your hand" thing trips me up a lot after Onward set the standard of hand-oriented movement. I wonder if the original Dactyl Nightmare has that same issue.

Also, the game clearly wasn't devised with room-scale setups in mind; if you step out of your starting position, you wind up having an out-of-body experience, and I'm pretty sure I shot myself by accident because of this.

I also want to see if the original game spawned a new 'dactyl with those "Bird is hungry" warnings, because the existing ones floating above don't change their circular flight patterns to get you; instead, a new one spawns, just straight-up beelining right for you. Make sure you've got the right one sighted, because your gun probably won't reload in time for a second shot!

The original game had only a button to move forward on a set speed (slow). I believe you change direction by moving your head, not by direction of your hand but i have to check with my friend at the Retro Game museum. 

About room-scale. i haven't got into that yet,  butt the original game was a complete stand in the small pod and rotate on your feet :)

Dactyl behaviour is exactly what you describe. two show dactyl circling and when the dactyl coms for you, a new one is activated and one of the circling ons disappear until you get picked up or plast it. 

the bird diving for you is an animation an is a child to the OVRplayer, this is why its locked on to your HMD view even if you swivel around trying to get away from it. sorry for this part but remember i'm a self learned dev.  :D

Wintermute
    edited May 2017
    Breton said:
    NamelessPFG  said:

the bird diving for you is an animation an is a child to the OVRplayer, this is why its locked on to your HMD view even if you swivel around trying to get away from it. sorry for this part but remember i'm a self learned dev.  :D

I don't remember if this is accurate to the original or not, but I don't like the way it fixes it's rotation on you so that it is always facing you no matter where you turn. It seems a bit wierd, though the tech at the time was primitive so it might be how it was. However if this is just due to limitations on your behalf I could tell you how to fix it.

In fact I think I know of a really dirty but effective work-around that will keep it trained on your position but leave it's rotation intact so that it wouldn't "spin around" with you.

Edit: Just tested and this should work:

Step 1: Make your "dactyl animation" a child of an emptyGameObject first
    Step 2: Make THAT empty a child of the OVRplayer with its local position 0,0,0
    - At this point nothing should have changed and it should still work as normal
    Step 3: Add this script to the emptyGameObject

public class fixRotation : MonoBehaviour {

private Quaternion savedRot;

// Use this for initialization
    void Start ()
        {
            savedRot = transform.localRotation;

}
    // Update is called once per frame
    void Update ()
        {
            transform.rotation = savedRot;
    }
    }

All it does it remember the localRotation when it began with when it is instanced, and keep the rotation fixed.
    Since the Dactyl animation would be a child of the empty, the position will still track along with that empty but the rotation will remain fixed to what was set in the empty when it is instanced.

Of course I've made some assumptions about how you've got it set up:

A. Your animation is a direct child of the OVR player, if this is not the case and there is already a child inbetween the animation object and the OVR player then you could just drop the above script into that object.
    B. Your animation is an instanced object or prefab when the Dactyl appears, if this is the case then you may need to remake the prefab with the new empty and instance that Empty with the dactyl as a child.

If this is not the case and it is an object that remains in the world but simply activated/deactivated then you may need to add to the above code to create a random rotation quaternion whenever the dactyl appears.

Sorry if that got a little confusing, if you are interested in any more let me know. I'll gladly help.
    Hiro Protagonist
    KillCard i will try this asap! And you will ofcourse be in the credit for helping me out :)

Wintermute
    edited May 2017
    Breton said:
    KillCard i will try this asap! And you will ofcourse be in the credit for helping me out :)

Let me know how it goes, just be sure to make adjustments where I have made any incorrect assumptions about how you've currently got it set up.

The biggest "question mark" in my mind is whether or not the animation is an instanced prefab at the time that it attacks you or if it is just a hidden object that is set active true/false. Because that might change a couple of things, but wouldnt be hard to adjust for.
    Hiro Protagonist
    https://www.facebook.com/fredrik.enmark.1/posts/10154628192998354

the real deal. @ Stockholm tech museum  

Hopefully i will be able to do a real size 3d model out of this, to remake the boring intro :)
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited December 2018
    looking into "Photon" to create a multiplayer version :)
  • doweeesdoweees Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    edited May 2019
    Hi,
    I used to play Daktyl Nightmare all the time in London at the Trocodero (if I remember correctly) and also in NYC at  South Street Seaport ( again, if I remember correctly) sometime around 1993-1994.  I was quite good at it, lol.  I think it was 3 or 4 pound coins to play in London, expensive but worth it, really fun game.  So here I am, 26 years later (omg) and about to buy my first home vr system, the quest.  So I have to ask... will Polygon Nightmare be available for it?  I see it isnt one of the first 50 games... but sometime later?  Thanks for any comments, would love to play this again.  Am curious to see what its like compared to a game like Superhot, which I've never played.  Is it really a 25 year jump in graphics and gameplay...?
  • doweeesdoweees Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    Breton said:
    https://www.facebook.com/fredrik.enmark.1/posts/10154628192998354

the real deal. @ Stockholm tech museum  

Hopefully i will be able to do a real size 3d model out of this, to remake the boring intro :)
    Amazing to see those pics, brings back memories.  Great controller