cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No more Screen Door Effect (SDE) - new Samsung Odyssey+ introduces perceived 1,233 PPI level res

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
So we've got:

Oculus Rift = 461 PPI
HTC Vive Pro = 615 PPI
Samsung Odyssey+ = 1233 PPI (level)

Actually Samsung Odyssey+ is 616 PPI like the Vive Pro, but some magic happens according to Samsung:

Limitless Viewing Experience

With exclusive, evolutionary, SDE-minimizing Samsung display technology, users can perceive a 1,233ppi-level resolution. A 3.5" advanced Anti-SDE Dual AMOLED display lets you experience incredibly immersive mixed reality, and break down the boundaries between the real and the virtual.

9jb3383mvym0.jpg

Looks interesting though, could be simply awesome for movies and Netflix, we'll see when the first reviews arrive - more info here:

https://www.samsung.com/hk_en/hmd/hmd-plus-xe800zba-hc1/

Some other improvements - design looks much like a copy of the Rift:

a5gb54dsw523.jpg

k51xqnacsbs1.jpg

by0be645p43a.jpg

85tbfy1a79ab.jpg

t1dyuuhmp5lw.jpg

It does actually look quite impressive - still those controllers look awful compared to Touch. Given enough time to evolve, Samsung may be a very serious contender, in fact Samsung could evolve to deserve a new logo!

wp5oennqvbip.jpg

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

205 REPLIES 205

pyroth309
Visionary

So basically no overall clear winner in your case. You'll use each on a use case basis. But, when the O+ works it's better than the Rift, but sadly it doesn't always play ball so the Rift is not obsolete. If the O+ did work in all scenarios then the Rift would be right?

I am hearing from some folks that the distance objects look quite blurry compared to up close details on the O+. This is problematic in games like PCARS where distance details are important. What's your view on this?

I think the Rift is objectively a better device than the O+. In games where the O+ gets good performance and you can crank the settings, the Odyssey+ looks better but it still has other drawbacks compared to the Rift with the tracking and no ASW etc and blur in some games. So yea, I'll use the O+ where it works good, or where the Rift doesn't. It's going to be complimentary to me at this point. 

I only took a few laps in project cars and I felt like I could see fine but I'm just a casual player to it. I didn't notice but I can run them side by side and check again this evening. The only thing I noticed in project cars was the bad aliasing everywhere is much clearer in the Odyssey but I have the same problem in Rift. 

pyroth309
Visionary
I'm super busy at work so sorry if my replies earlier are disjointed or discombobulating. 

Here's a summary of my thoughts presently after using the headset for roughly 8 hours and sampling about 30ish games now to see what works. I have a GTX 1080 so these are my experiences with that card. 
  • The Anti-SDE tech is legit. If I could best describe how the picture looks, it's like a high resolution PSVR with SDE that's half as visible and has the negatives of Fresnel lenses. God Rays/Rings/Distortion on edges
  • Great colors
  • Convenient - 2 plugs that's it 
  • Great sound quality from the speakers. 
  • Controllers are weird to use. They're bulky and blocky and don't really feel good in my hand. The button layout is head scratching to me as well. But at least it has both sticks and the Vive touch pad things. 
  • The tracking is sufficient and even impressive in some cases. Whatever they're using to calculate the movement when you reach out of camera is pretty amazing. I was playing some 2MD football again last night and I was making sure the camera couldn't see my hands and the tracking was still 1 to 1 out there for a couple of seconds, which allowed me to throw good passes without it seeing my hands. It will stop responding after a couple of seconds though and you gotta bring it back to the cameras to get tracking again. The Rift has good tracking 100% of the time all over so I will always give it the nod over the Odyssey. But the Odyssey+ tracking is good enough for most games for sure. I played it just like I play my Rift and I definitely prefer it over the PSVR tracking (or lack of it). 
  • God Rays are only visible in some games, they aren't as blinding as the Rift but they can still be distracting. I noticed them most in Serious Sam The Last Hope on the title screen with the big ship. They tend to stay along the outer edges and aren't blasting you in the pupil like the Rift.
  • Movies and Videos look great.
  • I wish I had a 2080 TI to push this headset to the limit but I can't justify upgrading this tier. I'm holding off another GPU generation.
  • It's a comfortable headset...if it fits you. There's light bleed around the edges for me. I get less light bleed from the nose gap than the Rift, But if I look left or right I can see light coming in. I think a custom cover would solve this for me.
  • In some games, the O+ looks incredible, in others it looks worse than the Rift. The reasons it can look worse can vary from:
  1. Prominent Concentric Rings (Just 1 game so far)
  2. Worse Performance - meaning you may have to run lower graphical settings resulting in a worse look.
  3. Smaller Sweet Spot which causes distortion, especially while playing active games from the headset moving back and forth
  4. The blur on very small objects/distant textures can be a problem in some games.
  5. You have to be very close to the lenses or the FoV shrinks fast. I'm skeptical a glasses wearer would be satisfied.
  6. My headset has a Mura effect that's worse than the Rift but better than the PSVR. Could just be my specific screens as this can vary. It's not visible in Elite with all the dark areas so not a big deal in the end but worth mentioning.
  7. The Sweet Spot is wider horizontally than vertically. Even a slight lifting or lowering of the lens results in distortion.
  8. Aliasing and texture flickering is much more distracting in the O+. I suppose it's because of the clearer image. Hangars in Elite Dangerous are really bothersome for me for example. 
So yea, I am happy to have the O+ and it gets me excited for the possiblities of upcoming headsets but I don't think this one is good enough to stand on its own as the definitive VR headset you should buy. 

Also here's some comparison shots from MRTV showing how much more crisp the O+ looks when performance isn't an issue. 

Same Pic zoomed in - 

And VS pimax & Vive Pro

As you can see, the Odyssey+ is able to give a great image when performance isn't a factor. I might just need to find me a 1080Ti to push it harder. 

*Edit* added comment about controllers and also point 8 about aliasing. 

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Thanks for sharing - personally Oculus just needs to use the Odyssey+ display in the CV2 (or better) - that would be enough to make me happy, no need to change anything else  B)

It's truly impressive that the Rift more than two years after its launch still is considered King of the VR Hill (including controllers, asw etc).

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD

pyroth309
Visionary

RuneSR2 said:

Thanks for sharing - personally Oculus just needs to use the Odyssey+ display in the CV2 (or better) - that would be enough to make me happy, no need to change anything else  B)

It's truly impressive that the Rift more than two years after its launch still is considered King of the VR Hill (including controllers, asw etc).

Yep. Or, Pimax needs to get a headset with that diffuser with some OLED's in a wide format headset. I feel like the Rift is better in everything except colors, resolution, god rays and SDE. So if that's all you care about then Odyssey wins. I never appreciated the little things like having a wider sweet spot until using the Odyssey+. You really have to get it just right to have a good experience. 

pyroth309
Visionary
Played Gorn tonight when I got in from work and it honestly took me back at how much better the O+ looks in this game. I immediately went back to the Rift to compare and it's a big difference. The up close clarity and vibrant colors really stand out and look great in the O+ and the SDE of the rift is very visible among the bright colors of the game. Yea cartoony/bright games are looking like a huge win for the O+.

Wildt
Consultant
Is the tracking good enough for the Echo games where you're often grabbing/holding something while looking away? 
PCVR: CV1 || 4 sensors || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3
PSVR: PS4 Pro || Move Controllers || Aim controller
WMR: HP Reverb

pyroth309
Visionary

Wildt said:

Is the tracking good enough for the Echo games where you're often grabbing/holding something while looking away? 

@Wildt I never got into the echo games so I wouldn't know. This came up on reddit though. Claims you get tracking for 7 full seconds before the hands lock. Probably good enough for most of echo arena i'd imagine.

I plan to get revive going today though and Lone Echo is one i want to try.

pyroth309
Visionary
Revive was a lot simpler than I thought. I installed it, launched SteamVR and there's' a new tab in there called Revive. It pulled in my whole oculus library. Supposedly you can launch them from your desktop with the revive Dashboard and bypass SteamVR but my controllers don't track when I do that. It does say it's experimental for WMR.

The super sampling slider for OpenVR Advanced Settings applies to the Oculus games used in Revive... This is quite convenient because I can change it from within VR. Especially when you couple it with the FPSVR app that shows you all your performance numbers by looking at your left wrist. I jumped into Lone Echo and counted how long my hand was working behind me, it's only about two seconds. Not sure where that 7 second number came from on Reddit but it's not true in Lone Echo. Lone Echo looks fantastic in this headset and so does Robo Recall for that matter. I think the O+ is winning me over more and more.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Just found a few at least theoretically "professional" reviews - like:

"While the Samsung Odyssey+ is currently the only low-cost VR headset I’d recommend (at the high end I prefer the HTC Pro), the problem with the industry still is tied to content.  I have yet to see a game that I want to play for hours, justifying the cost of this hardware.  Games pull hardware, not the other way around, and we still need some really compelling games that take this technology mainstream.  

However, if you want VR headset that is affordable, at a quality level and you could play for hours, the Samsung HMD Odyssey+ stands out as the only one I can, right now, recommend. It is definitely good enough. 

Rob Enderle is a principal at Enderle Group. He is an award-winning analyst and a longtime contributor to QuinStreet publications and Pund-IT."

Source: http://www.eweek.com/reviews/samsung-s-hmd-odyssey-vr-headset-the-one-that-rules-them-all

"Despite the flaws, the Samsung Odyssey+ is the best of the current generation VR headsets. It is a huge upgrade from Rift and Vive and still a very noticeable upgrade from Vive Pro and the Original Samsung Odyssey. Even at its original $499 price I would wholeheartedly recommend it to everyone, but at $299 it is a must-have and a no-brainer. Get it for $299 while you still can!"

Source: https://mrtv.co/2018/11/mrtv-preliminary-samsung-odyssey-review-best-current-gen-headset-on-the-mark...

pyroth309
Visionary
I'm always skeptical of professional reviewers because of kickbacks but I can't disagree at this point. The more I use the headset the more my eyes seem to adjust to it and like it. I hardly have blurring problems now but I do see the annoying rings from time to time. The more I switch back to Rift though the more I want to switch back to the Odyssey. For 299 it's a great deal especially if you have already have a powerful GPU that can push the Odyssey to its limits.

One thing I've noticed is the blur varies a lot from game to game. I figure it's TAA or other antialiasing that is the cause for that. The headset naturally has a TAA blurred look to it so when you double it up with more TAA it can feel like everything is out of focus. The worst so far was Skyrim. I spent a lot of time de-blurring skyrim last night if you will and while it looks good now, especially up close, everything in the distance still doesn't look as sharp as I would want. Still a work in progress.