cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No more Screen Door Effect (SDE) - new Samsung Odyssey+ introduces perceived 1,233 PPI level res

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
So we've got:

Oculus Rift = 461 PPI
HTC Vive Pro = 615 PPI
Samsung Odyssey+ = 1233 PPI (level)

Actually Samsung Odyssey+ is 616 PPI like the Vive Pro, but some magic happens according to Samsung:

Limitless Viewing Experience

With exclusive, evolutionary, SDE-minimizing Samsung display technology, users can perceive a 1,233ppi-level resolution. A 3.5" advanced Anti-SDE Dual AMOLED display lets you experience incredibly immersive mixed reality, and break down the boundaries between the real and the virtual.

9jb3383mvym0.jpg

Looks interesting though, could be simply awesome for movies and Netflix, we'll see when the first reviews arrive - more info here:

https://www.samsung.com/hk_en/hmd/hmd-plus-xe800zba-hc1/

Some other improvements - design looks much like a copy of the Rift:

a5gb54dsw523.jpg

k51xqnacsbs1.jpg

by0be645p43a.jpg

85tbfy1a79ab.jpg

t1dyuuhmp5lw.jpg

It does actually look quite impressive - still those controllers look awful compared to Touch. Given enough time to evolve, Samsung may be a very serious contender, in fact Samsung could evolve to deserve a new logo!

wp5oennqvbip.jpg

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

205 REPLIES 205

Wildt
Consultant

pyroth309 said:

. I jumped into Lone Echo and counted how long my hand was working behind me, it's only about two seconds. Not sure where that 7 second number came from on Reddit but it's not true in Lone Echo

Thanks for investigating. This is a showstopper for me no doubt.
PCVR: CV1 || 4 sensors || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3
PSVR: PS4 Pro || Move Controllers || Aim controller
WMR: HP Reverb

pyroth309
Visionary
@Wildt No problem. Convenient to this topic, I just saw that MRTV just posted this a few hours ago.

I share his experience and it's quite impressive when you consider it only has 2 front facing cameras. Lone Echo/Echo Arena is the only game I play that it's a problem so far. Bow games are no problem as long as you bring the controller back to the camera for each pull which usually happens normally anyway or you don't hold the bow back for more than 2 seconds. You can hold it back if you turn your head so it can see your controller, which is what I have done lol.

The other weakness is games where you gotta have your hands above you. You kind of have to look up with your head so it can see the controllers up there. I think that's why Oculus went with 4 cameras on the Quest. It'll better cover above you and in front of you, and you'll have the prediction for behind.

PhoenixSpyder
Rising Star
I just received my O+ earlier today but haven't yet tried it out due to having dinner and things. I'm going to set it up soon and do some testing against the Rift. Unfortunately I don't have all the VR games everyone plays due to a lot of them just not interesting me. What I do have though, I'll try to give feedback as I can, it all depends if I can pull myself away from playing in the meantime...LOL!!! I did try the O+ on my head to see how comfortable it is (without connecting yet) and find it surprisingly comfortable at least initially so far. Also, light bleed from the sides/nose is immediately noticeable...but I'm use to the Rift light bleed through the nose so not to concerned about that. The light bleed from the side has me concerned though...I'll probably have to create some kind of shades on each side to compensate.

I have a 1080ti and 8700k so I'll push the O+ to the max and see how things go. No 2080ti for me for now (even tho I can), I just don't think it's worth it yet for this generation. Next gen for me...unless Nvidia can prove the new tech is worth having in VR...and...that there are actually games that will use it...and...that the gouging prices come back down to earth. Anyway, enough of that... Onto the O+

i7 8700k; 5ghz (water cooled), Asus Rog Strix Z370-E Gaming, Corsair 270R case, EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra, 32 GB Corsair Veng DDR4 2666 Ghz, Adata SX900 SSD, 1TB M.2 SSD, Adata Su800 SSD, Adata SU650 SSD, BarraCuda 2TB HD, Toshiba 3tB HD, Rift (dead), Rift S, Win 10 Pro 2004, Inateck KT4006 USB3.0

PhoenixSpyder
Rising Star
I just tried my O+ with Skyrim VR and am a bit disappointed. I agree with pyroth309 that Skyrim VR just doesn't look right using O+ presently. The Rift is leagues ahead in quality running Skyrim VR for some reason. I need to do some research on why there is no aliasing when running Skyrim VR on the Rift, but using the same install running on the O+ there is aliasing galore happening using the identical settings in Steam VR and in game. There is no extra SS happening running on the Rift that I am aware of, but it just looks nearly perfect...and runs like butter compared to the O+.

On another note, I'm actually able to run both O+ and Rift at the same time on my system after giving it a try since I have 2 HDMI ports on my 1080ti. I actually ran The Lab on the O+ while running Invasion on the Rift. There was absolutely no problems doing so. Mind you I couldn't actually have all 4 controllers in my hands at the same time, but I did have the O+ with it's controllers in my hands while covering the sensor on the Rift to simulate it being worn and all was fine. I also swapped to the Rift going the same and it worked fine. So, if there is enough processing power then 2 HMD's can run at the same time on one system playing 2 different games or software. I'm going to further try this again with the girlfriend to see how it handles when 2 people are actually in VR. This is lots of fun...

i7 8700k; 5ghz (water cooled), Asus Rog Strix Z370-E Gaming, Corsair 270R case, EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra, 32 GB Corsair Veng DDR4 2666 Ghz, Adata SX900 SSD, 1TB M.2 SSD, Adata Su800 SSD, Adata SU650 SSD, BarraCuda 2TB HD, Toshiba 3tB HD, Rift (dead), Rift S, Win 10 Pro 2004, Inateck KT4006 USB3.0

Anonymous
Not applicable
It's possible the resolution that the Rift is using is different than what the O+ is using allowing DS making it a bit more sharp or aka free aliasing. 

pyroth309
Visionary

No 2080ti for me for now (even tho I can), I just don't think it's worth it yet for this generation. Next gen for me...unless Nvidia can prove the new tech is worth having in VR...and...that there are actually games that will use it...and...that the gouging prices come back down to earth. Anyway, enough of that... Onto the O+

Yea that's where I'm at. I can afford a 2080Ti, I don't like to just needlessly throw away money if I perceive the value to be poor is all. (We aren't going to talk about the things I do while under the influence though. I actually wasted more money in bars last week than I paid for the Odyssey+)

I was ready to go all in on a 2080Ti and a Pimax but when I saw how bad the performance is even with a 2080Ti for a lot of games...I'll wait lol. For what I get for that cost, seems like a waste. I was also going to just get a 1080Ti but the prices on those are crazy now too. I'll just go big next tier at least I can justify the jump to myself at that point.

I just tried my O+ with Skyrim VR and am a
bit disappointed. I agree with pyroth309 that Skyrim VR just doesn't
look right using O+ presently. The Rift is leagues ahead in quality
running Skyrim VR for some reason. I need to do some research on why
there is no aliasing when running Skyrim VR on the Rift, but using the
same install running on the O+ there is aliasing galore happening using
the identical settings in Steam VR and in game. There is no extra SS
happening running on the Rift that I am aware of, but it just looks
nearly perfect...and runs like butter compared to the O+.

Yea that's what I was talking about with the hit or miss. When there's aliasing and flickering it's super distracting in the O+ where in the rift, i guess because of the SDE breaking it up, it's not so bothersome. I was able to De-blur some by raising super sampling as high as my GPU could take in SteamVR and turning off dynamic resolution. Also I went in the ini file and increased TAA Sharpening...actually theres' a guide here that shows most of what I did. https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1352632127

Mradr said:

It's possible the resolution that the Rift is using is different than what the O+ is using allowing DS making it a bit more sharp or aka free aliasing. 

Exactly, the O+/Vive Pro run at a different resolution. Bethesda barely optimized it for the original Vive lol. For the flickering/Z-Fighting, I had a little success with altering these - https://wiki.step-project.com/Guide:Z-Fighting ; It's better but not perfect yet.

Let me know if you have any success getting it look good. I have it to where I'm not cringing and short to mid looks good but it's still blurry and flickering in the distance.

pyroth309
Visionary
Just tried my extension cable that came in last night. Works great. I tried 3 different types that I had from passive to active and none would stop the static blast I was getting, but this powered one is great if you need one. Now I can finally try out beat saber and the more active games where I have space.

pyroth309
Visionary
Five minutes into Beat Saber... Nope lol. Controllers lose tracking too much on Expert. Even a slight hiccup spoils so yea, no go here for me. Maybe if I had T-rex arms that would stay in the camera but i'm 6'4ish with arms like a 6'8 dude...not happening. I'll reconfig and see but yea, Rift wins in a landslide on that game. The Rift Audio stands out here so much better as well.

pyroth309
Visionary

pyroth309 said:

Five minutes into Beat Saber... Nope lol. Controllers lose tracking too much on Expert. Even a slight hiccup spoils so yea, no go here for me. Maybe if I had T-rex arms that would stay in the camera but i'm 6'4ish with arms like a 6'8 dude...not happening. I'll reconfig and see but yea, Rift wins in a landslide on that game. The Rift Audio stands out here so much better as well.

After trying some things, I ended up 3rd on Living Legend expert with a miss but with Rift I woulda had first by a mile. So it's doable, it's just more challenging and you can't be competitive on all the maps. I'll continue to mess with it though to see how competitive I can get with it.

PhoenixSpyder
Rising Star

pyroth309 said:

No 2080ti for me for now (even tho I can), I just don't think it's worth it yet for this generation. Next gen for me...unless Nvidia can prove the new tech is worth having in VR...and...that there are actually games that will use it...and...that the gouging prices come back down to earth. Anyway, enough of that... Onto the O+

Yea that's where I'm at. I can afford a 2080Ti, I don't like to just needlessly throw away money if I perceive the value to be poor is all. (We aren't going to talk about the things I do while under the influence though. I actually wasted more money in bars last week than I paid for the Odyssey+)

I was ready to go all in on a 2080Ti and a Pimax but when I saw how bad the performance is even with a 2080Ti for a lot of games...I'll wait lol. For what I get for that cost, seems like a waste. I was also going to just get a 1080Ti but the prices on those are crazy now too. I'll just go big next tier at least I can justify the jump to myself at that point.

I just tried my O+ with Skyrim VR and am a
bit disappointed. I agree with pyroth309 that Skyrim VR just doesn't
look right using O+ presently. The Rift is leagues ahead in quality
running Skyrim VR for some reason. I need to do some research on why
there is no aliasing when running Skyrim VR on the Rift, but using the
same install running on the O+ there is aliasing galore happening using
the identical settings in Steam VR and in game. There is no extra SS
happening running on the Rift that I am aware of, but it just looks
nearly perfect...and runs like butter compared to the O+.

Yea that's what I was talking about with the hit or miss. When there's aliasing and flickering it's super distracting in the O+ where in the rift, i guess because of the SDE breaking it up, it's not so bothersome. I was able to De-blur some by raising super sampling as high as my GPU could take in SteamVR and turning off dynamic resolution. Also I went in the ini file and increased TAA Sharpening...actually theres' a guide here that shows most of what I did. https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1352632127

Mradr said:

Exactly, the O+/Vive Pro run at a different resolution. Bethesda barely optimized it for the original Vive lol. For the flickering/Z-Fighting, I had a little success with altering these - https://wiki.step-project.com/Guide:Z-Fighting ; It's better but not perfect yet.

Let me know if you have any success getting it look good. I have it to where I'm not cringing and short to mid looks good but it's still blurry and flickering in the distance.

Yes, my thoughts exactly concerning money well spent. I've had my 1080ti since release and am very happy with it. I consider what I've got out of it money well spent. I was ready to pull the trigger on the 2080ti as soon as it was available but backed away when I jumped off the hipe train and survived...LOL!!!

I think Mradr is right about the resolution being different. Before I slept last night I was thinking about this exact thing. I think Skyrim VR sets itself up based on the initial HMD resolution when you first install it. I'm going to look into the ini settings to find where the resolution setting for HMD is kept...when I have time...maybe tomorrow. This same thing kind of happens when you run a 2D game on a lower resolution monitor and then try to run it on a higher resolution monitor with the same settings/resolution. The image will look funny due to it not being the native resolution of the higher res monitor.

I'm also totally finding the sound quality of the Rift headphones far superior to the O+ at least with Skyrim VR so far. Also, Skyrim VR on the O+ for me has me cringing in the bright open areas by being blinded by the concentric rings. They actually rob a good portion of the contrast of the upper portion of the view area...very distracting.

The controllers are surprisingly okay to me, except the button layout being different for lots of things...a bit confusing. I'm loving the smaller size of the touch controllers though. Oculus has hit these out of the park...I doubt anyone will come close to these anytime soon.

More later...when I have time...