cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Elite Dangerous wont run from Oculus but DOES run through steamVR.

McJesus
Explorer
I REALLY want to run Elite dangerous through Oculus home. It's way more convenient. But unfortunately when I try to run Elite, it sits at this loading screen in VR while the game loads up in 2D on the desktop. When I load the game through Steam, Oculus home is started and Elite is run and the game functions in VR as it should. I have filed a ticket with Frontier to see if it's something they can help with but now I am asking on the Oculus forums to see if anyone here has experienced something similar.

Things i have tried: 
Uninstalling and reinstalling Elite Dangerous
Uninstalling and reinstalling Oculus software(all of it drivers and everything)
Ensured the "Unknown Sources" box is checked
Uninstalling and reinstalling graphics drivers(Nvidia versions: 398.82, 416.34, 417.01)

None of these things have helped.
20 REPLIES 20

RattyUK
Trustee
Do you have the Oculus complimentary key from Frontier?  This gives you ED as a 'native' app in your Oculus library.
The key can be obtained from your Frontier account - just in case.
PC info: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - Sapphire 7900XTX - 32GB DDR4 4000 - 3 NVMe + 3SATA SSD - Quest 2 & 3

FrontierSupport
Adventurer
Thanks for making a ticket! Hopefully we'll be able to help out as soon as possible. 

In the meantime if you haven't already, please try temporarily turning off your antivirus and see whether this allows the game to launch successfully through OH. 

-Vulcan

onclebk
Explorer
Opposite problem... I never managed to run the game from SteamVR... Black screen and then everything stops... If anyone had the same problem ?

McJesus
Explorer
Hey RattyUK,
I think its native in oculus home as I installed it from within oculus home. However, I will double check and make sure the key is present. 

Vulcan from Frontier support, I have tried turning off antivirus (avast) it did not help. 

RattyUK
Trustee

McJesus said:

Hey RattyUK,
I think its native in oculus home as I installed it from within oculus home. However, I will double check and make sure the key is present. 

Vulcan from Frontier support, I have tried turning off antivirus (avast) it did not help. 

Thanks for the mention B)

If it runs OK through steam it is odd for it not to direct from Oculus (I launch ED through whichever environment I'm in at the time with no issues) which is why I asked the (possibly unneeded!) question.  I do remember having to get the Oculus key from Frontier as I'd bought the Steam version.  Hope you do get it sorted out 🙂
PC info: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - Sapphire 7900XTX - 32GB DDR4 4000 - 3 NVMe + 3SATA SSD - Quest 2 & 3

McJesus
Explorer
Sadly the Oculus Key was indeed a part of my account but that didnt allow OH to run Elite within VR. It still thinks it should run 2d. I wonder if some kind of software/drivers arent being run when the game starts. With steam, I need to start the SteamVR application before I try to run the game. When I do, in steam, it runs fine. but you would think the same thing would happen, that the oculus software/drivers to be running when OH is running. Elite doesnt seem to know that it should run in VR when run from OH. I will continue to try things hopefully Oculus or Frontier will help out in some way.

RattyUK
Trustee
@McJesus  - do you have ED in your Library in Oculus?  See below:
weg48i480ke8.jpg

On the screenie you can see the (native) ED highlighted and below & to the right is the Steam version added to the library by running in VR.

McJesus
Explorer
Yes, I made sure it was downloaded right from the Oculus store and I made sure to try and run it using "Start in VR" option.tglo2pux11kc.png
What comes up is this1rx51w3d32v1.png
Frontier has even asked me to try putting My graphics card in debug mode but alas that didnt work either. They have asked to "ensure that Desktop mode is not enabled for Elite Dangerous" but im not sure of an option that does this. Or at least I cant find where it is.

I tried running Arizona Sunshine just to be sure vr is indeed working and it is.

RattyUK
Trustee
That is strange indeed!  I don't know if dropping a ticket to Oculus support would be any more fruitful...  What is odd is that ED works through Steam for you!
Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.