cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When Will Oculus Release The CV2?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Just as the title says. I've noticed recently that there are LOADS of people on the Oculus sub-Reddit that refuse to believe that Oculus will release it next year.

So I thought I'd start a poll here to see what you lot think.
155 REPLIES 155

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Mradr said:

You do know - people are going to start questing why CV1 is cheaper than Quest - along with why CV1 is not the top end anymore - this is the clam before the storm xD

I don't doubt the lack of common sense in people, my friend. CV1 is cheaper because the CV1 is just a headset and needs an external dedicated machine; whereas Quest is all-in-one. I'm sure people will still question this though, and I will be here to embrace those questions.

As for the CV1 "not being the top end," I'm not sure what that means. CV1 still has Top End experiences, like Elite Dangerous, SkyrimVR, Lone Echo, and Onward; none of which will be on Quest. So again, I look forward to seeing how all that questioning plays out.

Anonymous
Not applicable

wigig is 5g. they say its dangerous to be close to 5g, and they want to strap it to your head, near your brains? chee…

Intel's WiGig adapters for Vive are 60GHz, and it wouldn't even penetrate a door, let alone your skull. The faster the frequency, the less penetrating power it has.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
I'm fairly certain that a Door is thicker than a Skull tho. Like... 4-6 times thicker.
😮

Anonymous
Not applicable

Zenbane said:

I'm fairly certain that a Door is thicker than a Skull tho. Like... 4-6 times thicker.
😮

Sorry, I guess I should have been more specific. A bedroom door can block the 60GHz...that's pretty damn thin. Your hand over the antenna on your head blocks it. 60GHz does not have that much penetrating power. It's why the antenna needs a line of sight to the device on your head. Hell...oxygen absorbs it...which is why it doesn't travel very far. And just to show a comparison...blue light is 610 to 670 Terahertz. The Sun belts that out at your skull all day long. There's plenty of discussion out there on this subject, including scientific research pdf's. Just do a google.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Spuzzum said:

Zenbane said:

😮

Sorry, I guess I should have been more specific. A bedroom door can block the 60GHz...that's pretty damn thin. Your hand over the antenna on your head blocks it. 60GHz does not have that much penetrating power. It's why the antenna needs a line of sight to the device on your head. Hell...oxygen absorbs it...which is why it doesn't travel very far. And just to show a comparison...blue light is 610 to 670 Terahertz. The Sun belts that out at your skull all day long. There's plenty of discussion out there on this subject, including scientific research pdf's. Just do a google.

That explanation makes a bit more sense. Your first response seemed to address "thickness" but clearly a standard door is significantly thicker than the average human skull.

I actually don't mind having electronics around me, or on me directly. I don't panic much about these things.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Zenbane said:

That explanation makes a bit more sense. Your first response seemed to address "thickness" but clearly a standard door is significantly thicker than the average human skull.

I actually don't mind having electronics around me, or on me directly. I don't panic much about these things.

Yeah, sorry about that. 😛 But we also need to take into account density, and not just thickness.