cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't install Software - Exiting with code 18

Taibot
Protege
Hello,

A few days ago everything worked fine and i was able to play with my Oculus Rift.
But today i had to reinstall the software and now i can't install it anymore.

I already turned of any software like antivir and my firewall and windows defender aswell.
Also i reinstalled my windows.

[Debug] [11.11.2018 16:41:44] Installing oculus-runtime.
[Error] [11.11.2018 16:41:46] Librarian exited code 18
[Debug] [11.11.2018 16:41:46] Install 'Dawn.Setup.InstallPackagesStep' failed.
[Warning] [11.11.2018 16:41:46] Rolling back installation.
[Debug] [11.11.2018 16:41:46] Uninstall 'Dawn.Setup.InstallPackagesStep' succeeded.

I hope this section from the log helps.
108 REPLIES 108

joey.carlini
Honored Guest
For what it's worth, I can reinstall the software and the March pass with Sde and the stock installers, leading back to Oculus home not being able to start. So that may lead to something, and it may not be impossible to use Oculus software anymore.

Pavel419
Explorer

For what it's worth, I can reinstall the software and the March pass with Sde and the stock installers, leading back to Oculus home not being able to start. So that may lead to something, and it may not be impossible to use Oculus software anymore.

The people changed the new installer files to some old runtime ... they just replaced it with f5, but this one is still a crutch, as for me

Taibot
Protege

Yup. You are able to install everything but can't start Oculus Home because it will say:
"We're Having Trouble Starting Oculus
Your Oculus software may be updating. Please wait a minute and try again. If the issue continues, contact Oculus Support"

St3v3n93
Explorer
I have the same problem 😞

Taibot
Protege
Whats your CPU? AMD phenom?

St3v3n93
Explorer
I have the Amd phenom ii x4 965 BE
It worked perfect until now... why is Oculus doing this to us? They force an update so i can't play anymore with my old cpu?

St3v3n93
Explorer
I opened a support ticket... maybe they know better

BennyOculusRift
Honored Guest

Taibot said:

For the last 3 days I tried reinstalling my computer with Windows 10 Pro/Education/Home removing everything from my hard drive and trying again to install this abomination of Software. It would fail every single time no matter what I did (disabling Windows Defender completely, copying OculusSetup.exe to C: directory, running with hidden Administrator account, praying to god). So I stumbled across this thread, desperate of finding a solution and I somehow did:
  1. Activate the hidden Administrator in Windows 10.
  2. Disable everything in Windows Defender.
  3. Remove every downloaded OculusSetup.exe file from the following folders: C:\OculusSetup-DownloadCache, C:\Program Files\Oculus, %AppData%\..\Local\Oculus and if your unsure that everything got removed go back to C:\ and type into the search field Oculus and delete every file/directory that's shown.
  4. Download OculusSetup.exe from https://www.oculus.com/setup/
  5. Download the latest version of the Intel Software Developer Emulator from https://software.intel.com/en-us/protected-download/267266/144917/step2 (Windows version).
  6. When it has finished downloading open it with 7zip (https://www.7-zip.org/). Then open the extracted folder again with 7zip.
  7. Move the OculusSetup.exe into the extracted folder sde-external-8.16.0-2018-01-30-win (your name could be a bit different but it's without the .tar or .bz2 file ending).
  8. Open the Windows Editor and copy these lines of code into it:
    @echo off
    :loop
    sc.exe config "OVRLibraryService" obj= "LocalSystem" || goto loop
  9. Save the file as workaround.bat and be sure it has the .bat extension
  10. Open the workaround.bat file. You will probably see a lot of messages popping up. Don't close it!
  11. Run the Cmd.exe as Administrator and change the directory to the sde-external-8.16.0-2018-01-30-win folder (you can type: cd C:\Users\Administrator\Downloads\sde-external-8.16.0-2018-01-30-win).
  12. Type in the Cmd.exe: sde -- OculusSetup.exe
  13. Click through the installer (as usual).
  14. Now you should have two Cmd.exe windows open and the Oculus Installer window open which downloads the software and hopefully installs it. Now you have to be very patient because it will take a pretty long time to download and install (for me it was about 1 hour). The Cmd.exe window with the ton of messages probably will close during the installation.
  15. If you are lucky and everything installed successfully don't open Oculus Home right away from inside the installer and instead close the window. You can be sure that it installed properly if you have the Oculus App (Alias) on your Desktop. Close all Cmd.exe windows and open Oculus Home. From now on everything should hopefully work!
I really hope that this will solve your issues as it did solve mine and if it did be sure to leave a comment down below so others know this could be a solution.

Nr. 8 -> openservice error 5 access is denied

Are you running this with the Administrator account?

Taibot
Protege
Already wrote with the support but they wasn't very helpfull
First they asked things like - have you tried turning off firewall? etc.

The last email they send me was this:

Hi Taibot,

There was previously a work around that some customers were using to install the Oculus software using a saved version of our older installer. We do not support this, and since the Oculus software has updated this is no longer working.

I do understand the inconvenience that this causes, however as we are not able to resolve this through regular troubleshooting as the computer is not capable of running the Oculus Rift with a CPU that falls under the minimum requirements to run the Oculus Rift.

Respectfully,

Chrissy
Oculus Support

They do say that since the software updated it is no longer possible to install it correctly with our old cpu.

Taibot
Protege

BennyOculusRift said:
Are you running this with the Administrator account?

I tried both. Start as an admin and start normally.