cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't install Software - Exiting with code 18

Taibot
Protege
Hello,

A few days ago everything worked fine and i was able to play with my Oculus Rift.
But today i had to reinstall the software and now i can't install it anymore.

I already turned of any software like antivir and my firewall and windows defender aswell.
Also i reinstalled my windows.

[Debug] [11.11.2018 16:41:44] Installing oculus-runtime.
[Error] [11.11.2018 16:41:46] Librarian exited code 18
[Debug] [11.11.2018 16:41:46] Install 'Dawn.Setup.InstallPackagesStep' failed.
[Warning] [11.11.2018 16:41:46] Rolling back installation.
[Debug] [11.11.2018 16:41:46] Uninstall 'Dawn.Setup.InstallPackagesStep' succeeded.

I hope this section from the log helps.
108 REPLIES 108

fitzy898
Protege

Taibot said:

Already wrote with the support but they wasn't very helpfull
First they asked things like - have you tried turning off firewall? etc.

The last email they send me was this:

Hi Taibot,

There was previously a work around that some customers were using to install the Oculus software using a saved version of our older installer. We do not support this, and since the Oculus software has updated this is no longer working.

I do understand the inconvenience that this causes, however as we are not able to resolve this through regular troubleshooting as the computer is not capable of running the Oculus Rift with a CPU that falls under the minimum requirements to run the Oculus Rift.

Respectfully,

Chrissy
Oculus Support

They do say that since the software updated it is no longer possible to install it correctly with our old cpu.

This is so frustrating, they may not want to support older processors but it's totally unacceptable to break something that has worked flawlessly up until now. Any update that breaks compatibility should be optional, and the customer needs to be told of this and given an option to stay on the currently working version. My CPU may be 10 years old, but it performed perfectly, no lag, no stuttering or anything else - this is an incredibly capable system I am running here despite it's age and as I said already, it worked fine before until they decided to force this update on us. 
2008 Mac Pro 3,1: Windows 10 LTSB, Dual Xeon E5462, 32GB DDR2, Nvidia 1060 6GB, 2x 256GB Samsung 850 Pro.

HalliCrazy
Honored Guest
Same issue for me, Looks like the Oculus is going back in the box for the foreseeable future... maybe until Oculus see sense and roll back this awful update.
Its ridiculous there's not even a way to rollback manually as they don't have offline installers  :s 

Taibot
Protege

fitzy898 said:

This is so frustrating, they may not want to support older processors but it's totally unacceptable to break something that has worked flawlessly up until now. Any update that breaks compatibility should be optional, and the customer needs to be told of this and given an option to stay on the currently working version. My CPU may be 10 years old, but it performed perfectly, no lag, no stuttering or anything else - this is an incredibly capable system I am running here despite it's age and as I said already, it worked fine before until they decided to force this update on us. 

I can totally agree

St3v3n93
Explorer
😞
I just want to play Beat Saber again...

Taibot
Protege
Yes... i hope they fix it or give us an opportunity so play games without this software

Pavel419
Explorer
judging by the silence of technical support in this topic - no one will give us anything ...

Taibot
Protege
At the beginning they also tried to find a solution but the normal routines answers did not bring anything

So i think they decided to give up on this and ignore us completly

BennyOculusRift
Honored Guest

Taibot said:

But then the message appeared: "We're having trouble starting Oculus..."

Ok maybe this could help you: https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/64196/were-having-trouble-starting-oculus-bug

Taibot
Protege
I already read all of these posts but none of them helps 😕

St3v3n93
Explorer

Taibot said:

At the beginning they also tried to find a solution but the normal routines answers did not bring anything

So i think they decided to give up on this and ignore us completly

I would like to see a reaction from the Oculus Staff or at least an explanation