cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Microsoft secures $480 million HoloLens contract from US Army

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
I've been defending Microsoft's AR/VR efforts for some time, and I wondered if and when they would finally step up. Seems that time is now.

The US Army has awarded Microsoft a $480 million contract to supply the military branch with as many as 100,000 HoloLens augmented reality headsets for training and combat purposes

“This new work extends our longstanding, trusted relationship with the Department of Defense to this new area.”

According to Bloomberg, the military-grade headsets would vary extensively from the existing HoloLens design. They would include thermal sensing and night vision and be used in both training and on the battlefield. Microsoft would be expected to provide at least 2,500 units of the headset to the military branch within the next two years.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/11/28/18116939/microsoft-army-hololens-480-million-contract-magic-leap

In a hilarious spin on the story, Magic Leap was competing for the same contract. But MS and HoloLens won.

19 REPLIES 19

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
And apologies in advance to Mr. @snowdog - but I called this back in May, buddy!

Zenbane said:

snowdog said:

I find it difficult to believe that Microsoft are STILL releasing HoloLens bullshit videos all this time later lol

Embrace the love. If MS HoloLens had only one meme, it would be this:

❤️

Richooal
Consultant
The next big US Army contract will be from a shoe manufacturer.
With Microsoft on board, some "rebooting" will be required.
i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - Rift CV1 + 3 Sensors - 1 minor problem
Dear Oculus, If it ain't broke, don't fix it, please.

Digikid1
Consultant
I hope they’ve VASTLY improved the Hololens then. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Digikid1 said:

I hope they’ve VASTLY improved the Hololens then. 

I predict we are going to see massive personnel changes at many companies after this news.  Decades ago I worked at IBM and the boca Raton operations were shutdown and personnel were required to move to armonk ny or rtp nc, etc.  IBM lost a lot of good people because they refused to leave sunny Florida, nice beaches, fishing, golf courses etc for colder climates.

Last night at a meeting with magic leap I heard the same.  Many tech people contemplating a career change requiring a move to Washington state perhaps, amzn, msft, valve etc but was leaving sunny Florida worth it.  (Remember magic leap is in florida)

Having lost several military friends to suicide because of seasonal affective disorder caused by dark cold Washington winters I have temporarily left Bellevue for Florida and am considering a permanent change from mcchord afb to macdill in tampa.  Walking out on Clearwater beach seeing beautiful college girls in bikini is just a gift from God you dont get in Washington;)

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
"I predict we are going to see massive personnel changes at many companies after this news."
"Last night at a meeting with magic leap I heard the same."
"Having lost several military friends to suicide because of seasonal affective disorder caused by dark cold Washington winters"

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
@zenbane IKR.  :open_mouth:

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.

SkScotchegg
Expert Trustee
Awesome, I hope in the future we see the benefits of this technology as usually the military fund projects that later benefits the rest of society, like GPS for example.

Imagine one day when our Rift has Hololens technology inside it too, that will be cool, perhaps that will be Rift CV5 or CV6 lol. (I'll still be here happily buying Rift HMD's in 2030's & 2040's etc) 🙂
UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Rift CV1 & Rift S - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
Reminds me of Dreamfall Chapters (released in 2014) where the characters brought up holographic menus with their eyes:

Morgrum
Expert Trustee
Damn that post got dark quick.
Try spending time in Elmendorf during the winter. F that.
Personally I think thats why Alaska really pays its residents.... Winter!
WAAAGH!