cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Export setting for larger scenes and multiple layer batch export

meler101
Explorer
Hi, I am a developer who really loves using this application for conception spaces for both art direction and level design.

This tool from my current perspective, is chiefly focused solely on single asset creation such as a prop or character. Environment conception however, is an incredible use case (even if it is just a sketch). The kickback in my current pipeline is how slow the export process takes for large scale scenes I create. I have learned that breaking a scene up into layers is the best avenue to keep the export/decimation fast and as accurate as possible. The drawback here is having to over-wright my FBX or OBJ each time I export a layer, as there is no current way to have multiple exports and only one file can be written. This means I have to remove the headset each time in order to drag the file out of the export folder and rename it. Exporting a single file can be very heavy, what I would love as an addition is the option to export each layer as an individual file, with Medium moving through my layer stack one at a time, auto turning off all other layers as it goes. Similar to a batch script in other programs such as Photoshop. 

If anyone knows how do do this already I would love to know how, or if others have a similar but better pipe, I would appreciate your input.

Furthermore, I would gladly share samples of my work, or provide further elaboration.

Thanks,

-Marcus
4 REPLIES 4

Anonymous
Not applicable

meler101 said:

Hi, I am a developer who really loves using this application for conception spaces for both art direction and level design.

This tool from my current perspective, is chiefly focused solely on single asset creation such as a prop or character. Environment conception however, is an incredible use case (even if it is just a sketch). The kickback in my current pipeline is how slow the export process takes for large scale scenes I create. I have learned that breaking a scene up into layers is the best avenue to keep the export/decimation fast and as accurate as possible. The drawback here is having to over-wright my FBX or OBJ each time I export a layer, as there is no current way to have multiple exports and only one file can be written. This means I have to remove the headset each time in order to drag the file out of the export folder and rename it. Exporting a single file can be very heavy, what I would love as an addition is the option to export each layer as an individual file, with Medium moving through my layer stack one at a time, auto turning off all other layers as it goes. Similar to a batch script in other programs such as Photoshop. 

If anyone knows how do do this already I would love to know how, or if others have a similar but better pipe, I would appreciate your input.

Furthermore, I would gladly share samples of my work, or provide further elaboration.

Thanks,

-Marcus

I don't think there is currently a way to do that.  You might want to put this post in the stickied suggestions thread, so it doesn't get lost in the shuffle.  Pretty sure the devs read through that from time to time and mine ideas, and may be more likely to see it there, if they miss this post.

As far as your work, would love to see it.  Always interesting to see how other people use the program and see what they build with it.  If you're interested in sharing some of your work, consider starting a sketchbook thread and post a few images, so we can see what you're up to!

P3nT4gR4m
Consultant
I'm confused - Medium export preserves layers as separate meshes. What package are you loading them into? You get the option to name the file every time you hit export so, if you really need individual .obj's per layer why you need to rename anything outside medium? 

meler101
Explorer
@DreamShaper
Cool Ill start an art thread, that sounds sick! Oh ok, you mean the main thread on the front page? wasnt sure which would be better.
@P3nT4gR4m
Its more about the speed and control I am looking for. Imagine doing this A LOT. For an entire game. You can name exports, but that takes too long imo. The nested layers are exported yes, but I find Medium cant really handle this well within the context of a large scale. The decimation gets confused and has less quality with longer export times, than exporting out each layer. Sometimes, I do merge layers and export them as single FBX files to then do a Separation in Maya, but again, this isnt great for decimation control. Most of these problems are solved if decimation is skipped, but then the mesh is heavy in external apps, and it isnt ideal. Sometimes I do the decimation in Zbrush to save more time bc as it can handle larger complexity well.
It be great to batch export groups with nested layers so as to help divide up the process if even further. Terrain group, Rock group, Tree group, etc. Even further, If Medium could recognize instancing of same brushes being used (with single stroke applied), so as to export only one tree, and then populate based on the instance locations. This makes it so that all the reused assets remain the same. Though in this context, they are usually proxy meshes that wont be final. It would just further speed up the process and decimate properly.

Let me know if Im not being very clear, or more elaboration is necessary, or the aformentioned images. I can document my workflow if you will find it helpful to identify my problems, should it be difficult to visualize what I am describing.

Thanks

Anonymous
Not applicable

meler101 said:

@DreamShaper
Cool Ill start an art thread, that sounds sick! Oh ok, you mean the main thread on the front page? wasnt sure which would be better.

I'd suggest starting a new sketchbook thread, several examples on the front page right now.  Creates a one stop place to check out your work, and makes it easier for people to view your progress/previous work.

The "what are you working on right now" thread tends to get posted with current projects, in progress or completed, if you want to show whatever you're doing at the moment.  It's good for keeping track of things, but makes it harder to find the pieces later, and isn't as well suited for putting together a viewing collection.