cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rifter from day one, technical problem, bad support experience

RTZR
Protege

Hi Rifters,
Today I would like to share my exp with you. It was the first time I had to contact customer service and it was really disappointing. 

Here is my story: 
  • I preordered the Rift for 700 € to Germany, preordered Touch for 200 and I am running a setup with 3 sensors.
  • Two weeks ago I upgraded my video card to a rtx 2080. I made a win 10 fresh install and reinstalled oculus,too. Connecting the card via hdmi to a monitor works. 
  • When setting up my rift i noticed black lines on the right eye. I reseated my cables but it was still there. 
  • I contacted Oculus and after some support routines "reinstall", "check hardware requirements" and so on. Finally I sent in my log files. 
  • One week later the customerservice offered me a refurbished hmd for "a reduced price" of 299€ with a limited warranty of 6 months because warranty for the preordered rift is over of course. 
  • A new  touch bundle in Germany is currently offered for 379 with full warranty of two years. I think you got it. 
  • I wrote back and asked if i can send in my device for testing it. I offered to pay for this kind of service. I mean if only the cable or a connector is broken i do not need a complete new hdmi. 
  • The support told me there are no other options after the warranty is over and closed the case.

After spending more than 1300 € over the last two years I think it is a very sad story. I am really thinking about leaving the oculus family now. 

What do you think about this ? Do you have made a similar experience?  

Cya
Nicolas

2xrp4gb9szgl.pngyv5ha32m9umt.png

11 REPLIES 11

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
I think 299£ for a refurbished headset is a joke tbh. But it's the same with any hardware that breaks after warranty. If you purchased a PlayStation for example, then you would have to buy another PlayStation if it broke after warranty. They can't give you an unlimited warranty and just like some other manufactures they don't offer a repair service..

You didn't spend 1300 € just on the Rift either. You spent some of that on other hardware that has nothing to do with Oculus..

LZoltowski
Champion
Did you try putting the old GPU in if you still have it and see if the issue persists?

• I wrote back and asked if i can send in my device for testing it. i offered to pay for this kind of service. I mean if only the cable or a connector is broken i do not need a complete new hdmi. 
They would not have had any way of processing that payment, who would it go to? There is no official "test and repair" department. I think the refurbs are processed by a separate company as well. 
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

ohgrant
Superstar
 As a fellow VR enthusiast, I do feel for you and hope you get back in the game as quickly and as inexpensively as possible. As far as how I think they handled your support case. I admit I'd be scratching my head a bit and wondering if they came up with the solution of selling you another HMD, was because they saw something in the log that confirms you have a faulty unit. I do think it would be great if VR headsets were so commonplace that you could just go to your local VR repair shop and get it tested diagnosed and repaired if necessary. Unfortunately, we live in a disposable world now and it's almost always just cheaper and better to replace than repair. When you think about it, a PC monitor or new TV can have a short lifespan and we are left with one choice if the warranty has expired. Time for a new one. I don't expect Oculus to provide extended warranty support that the big manufacturers don't do themselves. I guess it's really up to you to decide if you were ill-used. Do you think 300 is too high a price to pay? 

I do think it unlikely that your HMD is really the issue if nothing happened to it and was working before your GPU upgrade. First thing I would suspect is the PSU and if it has enough voltage to drive the new video card with all the other VR voltage requirements.           
Gigabyte  AB350 Ryzen 2700x, 32gb ddr 4 3200, 2080ti. HP Reverb G2, Index controllers, Quest 1 and 2x Quest 2. 65" 3DTV HD3D DLP projector.

RTZR
Protege

RedRizla said:
You didn't spend 1300 € just on the Rift either. You spent some of that on other hardware that has nothing to do with Oculus

^^ I spent it but in fact it doesn´t matter. But think about 700€ for the Rift, 200€ for the Touch Contorllers, 70 € for the third sensor and more than 300 bucks for games in the oculus store.  

RTZR
Protege

ohgrant said:

I do think it unlikely that your HMD is really the issue if nothing happened to it and was working before your GPU upgrade. First thing I would suspect is the PSU and if it has enough voltage to drive the new video card with all the other VR voltage requirements.           

I will check this indeed. That is a good thought, my be quiet bronze psu has 600 watts only. Thank you. 

And you are absolutely right it is one big challenge for mankind that we all live in a world where the production of new goods is cheaper than repairing the existing ones. Anyway I was expecting that there is at least a possibility to try out another cable.  

Maybe i will go with a new touch bundle before xmas. Everyone from Europe interested in having a third sensor or touch controllers?

RTZR
Protege

Did you try putting the old GPU in if you still have it and see if the issue persists?

• I wrote back and asked if i can send in my device for testing it. i offered to pay for this kind of service. I mean if only the cable or a connector is broken i do not need a complete new hdmi. 
They would not have had any way of processing that payment, who would it go to? There is no official "test and repair" department. I think the refurbs are processed by a separate company as well. 

Unfortunately I sold my old msi 1070 to my neighbour quickly to compensate some of the money which I spent for the rtx. But maybe he will give me the chance to try my rift on his PC. I will definitively ask him the next time.  

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
Did you try a different Graphics card driver just to see if that did anything and a different port on the Graphics card? 

RTZR
Protege

First of all I have to say thank you for all your good suggestions. Maybe I was a little bit sad that my HMD broke down and the CV2 is still not announced officially.    

Anyway I tried another PC in the meantime with the same result. So I can delete PSU and GPU from my list.  

Now I have ordered a new HDMI cable from Oculus. This is the only part which had to struggle with wear over the time . The HMD itself was never transported. 

I would like to test it again like this:

1. Unplug the rift
  2. Delete and fresh install of Oculus SW
  3. Change HDMI cable of rift
  4. Go to oculus setup and connect the rift

If it still does not work, I need a new HMD and can sell a cable (only used one time) for a fair price via ebay to another Rifter who might want to track down an error, too. And if it works I saved more than 200 bucks.

I´ ll keep you posted.  

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

RTZR said:

Unfortunately I sold my old msi 1070 to my neighbour quickly to compensate some of the money which I spent for the rtx. But maybe he will give me the chance to try my rift on his PC. I will definitively ask him the next time.  

That's what I'd try too - do check if your Rift works on another PC, especially testing on your old GTX 1070 would be perfect. 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

Get Help
Did this answer your question? If it didn’t, use our search to find other topics or create your own and other members of the community will help out.

Check out some popular posts here:
Getting Help from the Meta Quest Community
Tips and Tricks: Charging your Meta Quest Headset
Tips and Tricks: Help with Pairing your Meta Quest
Trouble With Facebook/Instagram Accounts?