cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Aerofly FS 2 Robinson R22 Helicopter Released Today on Steam!

DrHotwing
Protege
For those of you who have been
patiently awaiting the release of the Robinson R22 helicopter the
wait is over! Today marks the release of the much anticipated R22,
the very first helicopter for Aerofly FS2.

cckhtefe2lx9.bmp
kkrr2lgdyiiu.bmp

And just because the R22 is the first
helicopter release for Aerofly FS2 doesn't mean that it will lack
quality, quite the opposite actually. The quality and craftsmanship
that was put into the development of the R22 surpasses anything ever
developed before.

The Robinson R22 also has physics that
are so precise you would swear that you were flying the real bird,
especially in VR. With an Oculus Rift and Touch Controllers you can have one of the best experiences ever seen in a flight simulator to date. 

The Aerofly FS2 R22 was designed with
the professional and novice in mind featuring both a beginner mode
that provides more stability and balance when you fly allowing you to
fly while enjoying the surrounding scenery, and a professional mode
that handles just like the real life counterpart. Whichever
mode you choose you can be sure that you will have the experience of a
lifetime.

1ur75m88u6a4.bmp

Along with the release of the R22 comes
an update which adds over 120 new heliports to the mix. You will find many new
helipads in various locations on the map. Two of these new locations,
Fort Jefferson at the Dry Tortugas, Florida and the Downtown
Manhattan Heliport, New York are two examples that truly complement
this new addition.

6s3afymeuz9z.bmp

csow6zctp0dz.bmp
qm22jcn2r9dt.bmp

We are confident that the R22 will add
many new hours of excitement and exploration. How will you spend your
time?

26 REPLIES 26

Chazmeister
Rising Star

ohgrant said:

Thanks, AFS2 is one of the first, if not the first VR apps I picked up when I was using my DK1. Just got the update and will try it soon. Nice looking flight decks but I agree, pretty mundane scenery. A chopper will be a welcome addition. 
 FSX is still great looking in 3D on the projector, can't really get it to look as good in VR even with VorpX 
 Some really great looking flight sims right now in VR. I saw a pretty close to photorealistic video on youtube of a guy playing DCS World in VR. Going to have to try that real soon. Downloading XPlane 11 now, thanks for the tip.
 Some other VR flight sims that are SSD drive space worthy are: 
 VTOL., touch supported so that your hands are in the game needing to do everything from flicking the toggle to turn on the battery and APU to handling the flight stick and throttle. I do really love that level of touch support and salute the devs that deploy that. 
 I also salute the devs that support HOTAS and direct input joysticks for flight sims.
Worlds at war is another one I'm really warming up to that I've been playing with my Thrustmaster. 
A big disappointment with some current game franchises, like EA's Battlefield and SW Battlefront, are so dependant on X-input, that it's next to impossible to configure either of my joysticks even with emulators for those games. The last thing I want to do is play flight sims with an X-box controller or mouse and keyboard. 
Great to see VR move in a different direction.  

Have you by any chance tried Combat Air Patrol 2 yet? That's another one I've got my eye on. It's early access on Steam currently. I've yet to go for it myself as I'm waiting on a bit more development time first. https://www.combatairpatrol2.com/

ohgrant
Superstar
Thank you, sir, I will give it a try when I get a chance 
Gigabyte  AB350 Ryzen 2700x, 32gb ddr 4 3200, 2080ti. HP Reverb G2, Index controllers, Quest 1 and 2x Quest 2. 65" 3DTV HD3D DLP projector.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary

Have you by any chance tried Combat Air Patrol 2 yet? That's another one I've got my eye on. It's early access on Steam currently. I've yet to go for it myself as I'm waiting on a bit more development time first. https://www.combatairpatrol2.com/

This seems to have come along way since I saw it over a year ago. Does this have a dynamic campaign like F16 Falcon?

Chazmeister
Rising Star
Not yet as far as I can tell, but it's on their road map, which is why I'm holding off buying it for now. In fact at the moment I don't think there's anything as far as missions go etc, it's just a fly about and enjoy the scenery type deal right now. Although it has air to air refueling in it.

The grand plan, from what I can make out, is a dynamic campaign, where you don't just fly the missions, you also direct it on a strategic level ordering the fleets about and so on. I'd just keep an eye on it for now though, as that could be quite a long while in coming I think. 

DrHotwing
Protege
We fixed the NL windmill bug. 

Jeff (IPACS Development Team) 

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee
I like the whole concept of VTOL VR - the only problem is that I find I have real problems using the virtual joystick, I'm all over the place with it.

I think I read somewhere that you can now use a proper HOTAS, so I'll have to look into that.

Regarding CAP 2 - my advice would be to wait and see what happens with it. Development has been excruciatingly slow and the dev's priorities seem to be, well, strange.

I bought it and yes, it can be fun, but there are glaring bugs in it. When I flew low over the built-up areas I could see that most of the buildings were actually underwater. When following directions given to find a certain object or target, which was to follow certain roads - I couldn't even see the roads, because they were under water, too!

At that point I got a refund and decided to wait and see what happens. I'll happily buy it again if it turns out well - but only as a finished product. There were other bugs and pretty important things were missing, but it was a few months ago and I can't remember everything now.

i5 9600k @4.5GHz; 16GB DDR4 3200; 6xSSD; RTX2080ti; Gigabyte Z390D Mobo
Rift CV1; Index; Quest; Quest 2

MowTin
Expert Trustee
I own Aerofly FS2. My biggest complaint--and it's a huge one--is you can't crash. If you fly your plain into the ground or into a building it just resets you. 

For me the fun of flying is the danger or crashing. 

Another big gripe is no cold starts. I'm just obsessive about the idea of knowing how to start the real plane. 
i7 9700k 3090 rtx   CV1, Rift-S, Index, G2