cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

So, I bought an XBox One

MowTin
Expert Trustee
I'm looking to switch my 1080p projector to a 4k projector. I needed a 4k Bluray player. PS4 failed to deliver this so I replaced by old PS3 with an XBox One X. Only choice if you're a Home Theater enthusiast.

So, why do I bring this up in a VR forum? Well, I decided to play some Call of Duty Advanced Warfare. It looked great on my massive 133" screen and all but...moving around a controller to aim? Pancake console gaming just feels so primitive now after getting used to holding guns in your hands and pointing and shooting. I can never go back to fiddling around with a thumbstick. 

First person shooters in 2D are totally dead to me now. But third person games (I bought Red Dead Redemption 2) still feel good. 

But of course, flat games have so much more content than most VR games. I can't wait for the day when ports are more common and we have full AAA VR games.

Has VR affected your ability to enjoy certain 2D games you used to enjoy? I'm always thinking, "Boy I wish this were in VR." 
i7 9700k 3090 rtx   CV1, Rift-S, Index, G2
23 REPLIES 23

Anonymous
Not applicable
Have not played a 2d game since getting my Rift on Jan 15th 2017.
So yeah I guess it affected me for sure. 

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
Depends what game it is. I like games like Xcom 2, so some 2D games are good. I could also see myself playing Red Dead Redemption 2 in 2D and I like GTA V. But things like Flight sims, I couldn't go back to playing them in 2D. I have a 1080p Projector and heard the 4K ones aren't that much of a difference. I have the Optoma GT1080 Darbee and play 3D games on it. I would never watch a movie again on anything less then a 100 inch screen now 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable

dburne said:

Have not played a 2d game since getting my Rift on Jan 15th 2017.
So yeah I guess it affected me for sure. 

Same for me, flat games have been dead to me since 21st October 2016.

I'm also boycotting consoles for the first time ever this console generation. I don't agree with this pay to play online bollocks, even Nintendo are at it now so fuck them all. I'm a proud member of the PC VR Master Race and can't see that changing anytime soon. B)

ohgrant
Superstar
 2D games, not here, I gave those up ages ago. I play them in 3D with my projector with the Tridef driver for newer games and with the Nvidia 3D driver for old games. Some games that look best with the IZ3D driver I play on my IZ3D monitor. 
 One cool thing about you getting an X-box, There's an app that you can play your X-box games through Oculus.
 I can certainly understand your hesitation to game in flat 2D. I have no intention to ever purposely play in 2D with a controller or mouse and keyboard again. To each their own according to their own tastes. I agree with the rejection of the modern pay to play online only games. 
 Tonight I'm going to let Scraper update on my Oculus PC and install and play Mech warrior 4 and Vengence in 3D on my projector with my old Legacy build. May everyone find their choices as rewarding.         
Gigabyte  AB350 Ryzen 2700x, 32gb ddr 4 3200, 2080ti. HP Reverb G2, Index controllers, Quest 1 and 2x Quest 2. 65" 3DTV HD3D DLP projector.

Digikid1
Consultant
Great choice. The Xbox One X is the only true 4k gaming console out there. I love mine. 

OmegaM4N
Expert Trustee
Forza very much needs VR, i recently grabbed Driveclub VR and it is fantastic, GT Sport VR is also cracking for all there is of it, VR does driving and flying games so well it should mandatory on every format....you here me MS, support either WMR headsets or the Rift, i don't care which, just do it!
CV1/Vive-knuckles)/Dell Vr Visor/Go/Quest II/ PSVR.

MowTin
Expert Trustee

RedRizla said:

I would never watch a movie again on anything less then a 100 inch screen now 🙂

The funny thing is that it was watching a movie using bigscreen in VR that made me get a projector. Best purchase I ever made. Your own private movie theater that better in every way than going to the movies. 

Red Dead Redemption looks like I'm playing a movie. One annoying thing about flat games is when you have to press a button to grab someone's had or rapidly tap a button to punch. In VR you could grab someone's hand and punch like you do in real life. 
i7 9700k 3090 rtx   CV1, Rift-S, Index, G2

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
@MowTin - Where do you get the Tridef driver from for 3D. When I try to get it it says it's no longer available? Is there anything else that would work apart from Nvidia 3D vision, which I already have for some games?

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
Around this time of year I usually play through some 2D PC games. But no matter how good the game is (e.g. overwhelmingly positive reviews on Steam), I find it very difficult to enjoy for longer than 30 minutes at a time. It's a mental battle for me to play for over an hour.

Even all that extra content that comes from 2D games, compared to VR games, doesn't impress me. I've been gaming since the 80's (Atari, Sega, Nintendo, PlayStation, XBox, PC), so no matter how much content a game throws at me... I've seen it all at some point or another. I need the immersion, presence, and physical challenge that comes with VR. Thumbing around - literally - is a thing of the past.