cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Post your Skyrim VR reviews and impressions and discussion here.

LZoltowski
Champion
rmbxnynm6ib6.jpg

Hello all, the big one is launching very soon. Rather than having a billion threads on it, lets all share and discuss in this thread to help others make an informed purchase!

Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂
1,137 REPLIES 1,137

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee
Yeah, I do too - and I know a number of the guys posting in this thread do (if you look back through it, they cover it a couple of times)

i5 9600k @4.5GHz; 16GB DDR4 3200; 6xSSD; RTX2080ti; Gigabyte Z390D Mobo
Rift CV1; Index; Quest; Quest 2

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee
I've seen recommendations to use SMIM LITE - but can't actually find a lite version anywhere. Is there an option in the main SMIM mod to have a 'lite' install?

Chazmeister
Rising Star
I just use the full SMIM mod. Works OK as far as I can tell.

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee
Ok ta - just been reading some more stuff on it (no wonder I've got such a friggin headache!) from one of the links posted above, and some guy on reddit was saying it slows the pooter down.

https://www.reddit.com/r/skyrimvr/comments/8gjnb6/smim_is_killing_fps_use_the_smim_lite_version/

I'll try it as is first.

Oh - anyone use this mod?

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/10926?tab=files

(Archery)

PhoenixSpyder
Rising Star
I did a performance test comparing SMIM full and lite on my system. For my system, I didn't see any difference performance wise between the 2 versions (I've always used the Full version). Other systems may vary though, so if one has lower end specs, they probably should use the Lite version just in case (if concerned). Be aware though, starting with the full version and then changing to the Lite version down the road may impact the game save files, which will then require a save game file cleanse using software designed for the solution. The opposite direction will probably have the same outcome too.

i7 8700k; 5ghz (water cooled), Asus Rog Strix Z370-E Gaming, Corsair 270R case, EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra, 32 GB Corsair Veng DDR4 2666 Ghz, Adata SX900 SSD, 1TB M.2 SSD, Adata Su800 SSD, Adata SU650 SSD, BarraCuda 2TB HD, Toshiba 3tB HD, Rift (dead), Rift S, Win 10 Pro 2004, Inateck KT4006 USB3.0

PhoenixSpyder
Rising Star

Brixmis said:

I've seen recommendations to use SMIM LITE - but can't actually find a lite version anywhere. Is there an option in the main SMIM mod to have a 'lite' install?

The lite version is chooseable in the SMIM install. Just download the SMIM package, install and make your choice at that time.

i7 8700k; 5ghz (water cooled), Asus Rog Strix Z370-E Gaming, Corsair 270R case, EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra, 32 GB Corsair Veng DDR4 2666 Ghz, Adata SX900 SSD, 1TB M.2 SSD, Adata Su800 SSD, Adata SU650 SSD, BarraCuda 2TB HD, Toshiba 3tB HD, Rift (dead), Rift S, Win 10 Pro 2004, Inateck KT4006 USB3.0

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee
The more posts I read, the more I'm finding the lite version recommended. I have a 1060 - most of the people having no issues seem to have a 1080 or -Ti.

I played for an hour or so earlier and my first gaming action was to steal a horse. Wow, is default riding crap or what! I've been looking for a horse mod - seems there are a few, but I'll wait and try one after I get the mesh and texture mods sorted.

I also ended up nearly puking - but I managed to get through it and actually felt better by the time I took the headset off. It was the closest I've come to actually throwing up - gagging away, suddenly feeling hot as chilli-pepper and sweating buckets. I kept playing because I wasn't entirely convinced it was down to VR - so in future I won't feel reluctant to play it again.

I did notice that those textures really do need the mods! So I'll do that in a mo, and have another play tomorrow.

I seem to have sparked off a spell at some point, but I've no idea what I did or what spell it was! Think I should head off to Winterborn ASAP and learn how to do it properly.

I used a save from a few months ago and something that's bugging me is that I don't know what kind of character I chose. I have a big sword, but I'm guessing everyone has one, but I also have a bow (and I think I would have chosen archer over anything else). I equipped the bow via the menu, but have not been able to get the thing to appear in my hands. Any tips on that would be appreciated. Folks in Whiterun are also constantly telling me about Norse personality traits - so I'm guessing I'm not Norse - or do they do that anyway?

PhoenixSpyder
Rising Star

Brixmis said:

The more posts I read, the more I'm finding the lite version recommended. I have a 1060 - most of the people having no issues seem to have a 1080 or -Ti.

I played for an hour or so earlier and my first gaming action was to steal a horse. Wow, is default riding crap or what! I've been looking for a horse mod - seems there are a few, but I'll wait and try one after I get the mesh and texture mods sorted.

I also ended up nearly puking - but I managed to get through it and actually felt better by the time I took the headset off. It was the closest I've come to actually throwing up - gagging away, suddenly feeling hot as chilli-pepper and sweating buckets. I kept playing because I wasn't entirely convinced it was down to VR - so in future I won't feel reluctant to play it again.

I did notice that those textures really do need the mods! So I'll do that in a mo, and have another play tomorrow.

I seem to have sparked off a spell at some point, but I've no idea what I did or what spell it was! Think I should head off to Winterborn ASAP and learn how to do it properly.

I used a save from a few months ago and something that's bugging me is that I don't know what kind of character I chose. I have a big sword, but I'm guessing everyone has one, but I also have a bow (and I think I would have chosen archer over anything else). I equipped the bow via the menu, but have not been able to get the thing to appear in my hands. Any tips on that would be appreciated. Folks in Whiterun are also constantly telling me about Norse personality traits - so I'm guessing I'm not Norse - or do they do that anyway?

To equip a weapon or bow, make sure it is highlighted with either L, R or LR in the menu. Use F to favorite it to the fav menu. On your controllers the left controller middle finger button is for sheathing or unsheathing weapons. To quickly use a weapon just pull the right trigger button. If you have a bow selected it should appear in your hands when you pull the right trigger, if not then it prob isn't selected properly in your weapons menu.

Also, make sure you have arrows in your weapons menu, If you don't have any arrows you prob can use the bow.

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee
Thanks - not sure whether there are arrows or not - I can't get the bow in my hands, so that's probably the issue.

Bugger, really - headed to the right at Whiterun on a track up the hill and came across a bandit camp. I killed the one who rushed me, but another had taken a higher position and was shooting arrows at me from there. I had to cower in cover and eventually give up and make a "tactical withdrawal".

Would I be okay to try and rush him in that situation. Maybe I could use a spell or something? The only thing I could think of at the time was having my own bow & arrows to knock him off his perch.

Also - how do I get arrows?

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee
Sorry, yet another question - I'm slowly going nuts with these damn mod downloaders. Tried Vortex - kept coming up with issues which I seemingly sorted but issues still showed.
Got rid and used NMM for a while, but was fed up of repeatedly being unable to log in to Nexus (and thus not getting any info and the mods remaining unsorted) and repeatedly finding and installing newer versions, only to find none of them fixed the issue. I had an exception for both outgoing and incoming entered in my firewall.

Got rid of NMM this morning and replaced it with MO2. Still can't frigging log in to Nexus. LOOT is running fine.

My question is - do I still need to check and copy over the plugins file when using MO2 and LOOT?

*I just checked the files and in SSE it shows:

# This file is used by the game to keep track of your downloaded content.
# Please do not modify this file.
*SkyrimVR.esm

whilst the one in SkyrimVR is empty - so the answer must be yes.

Another morning reading and piddling around instead of playing. Frustrating, it is.

PS: I see there is a sort option! D'oh! Even so - when I ran LOOT afterwards, it still wasn't happy and did it's own thing.

Anyway - now my desktop looks like this:

bhouaziztclo.jpg

:s I can't help it - I'm getting old!