New to the forums? Click here to read the How To guide. -- Developers click here.

Looks like RTX got a big boost in one of their games

MradrMradr Posts: 2,705 Valuable Player
Not bad for early early access to the tech. Less than a few months of it out and already a 50% performance boost. Wait the stander 6 to 12 months and I wonder if RT is the way to go? I know they can increase performance another 25% with a few more tricks. That should put it back on par with running the game natively and more games to support RT in the future.

Comments

• RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 910
    3Jane
    edited December 4
    Looks good - for the extremely few users who have a RTX card. The video may work more like a commercial for Nvidia...

Numbers just came in - the Steam Hardware Survey for November. Now we should be able to see the first RTX cards - but there're none - zippo - zero:

https://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/Steam-Hardware-Software-Survey-Welcome-to-Steam

Thus in November less than 0.15 % of Steam users had a RTX card (and there're about 100 video cards on the list). I'd be surprised to see that number increase greatly unless the price drops a lot. Unless Nvidia pays for it, as a developer it may not make sense spending a lot of time trying to optimize and implement RTX tech. 2c. 
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz boost, 11 Ghz ram); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Oculus Rift CV1 - nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR" ;-)
  • bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 3,467 Valuable Player

so looking like a decent 60fps at QHD.

had i of seen this 2 months ago i may have kept my 2080ti order in!.

I never doubted raytracing was the future of videogames but i am more hopeful now that 4k / 60 with RTX will be doable next generation.

Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 4,051 Valuable Player
    That looks so good.
    Gateway 2000, Pentium II 300 Mhz CPU, 64Mb RAM, STB Velocity 128 AGP Graphics Card with 4MB SGRAM, 6.4Gb Hard Drive, US Robotics 56.5kbps Internal Modem, 12/24x CDROM Drive, Ensoniq AudioPCI, Windows 95.
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 5,049 Valuable Player
    edited December 4
    Battlefield V is a totally shite game imo. They totally destroyed the Gameplay with each new version of Battlefield. But like @RuneSR2 said, they will have to drop the price of these cards at some point if they want devs to even bother with RTX. As we've seen in VR already, devs like to cater for the masses and not just the few. Anyways, I think full RTX games are 5 plus years away, so hopefully prices might have dropped by then and more people can afford these cards..
  • Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 3,171 Power Poster
    edited December 4
    Too many self-righteous Youtubers and writers talking much shit about stuff they only speculated or assumed, to a baying audience who couldn't afford the price of entry - can't afford it, so let's trash it mentality. Not willing to give things a chance to blossom, so many pathetic assumptions made. Unbelievable really. Next time go with your gut instinct then you will be happy, ignore the frigging noise out there. A lot of those naysayers really need to eat their words or stfu now or better yet just FOAD - that's fall over and disperse ;) . Credibility was low before, now it's zero. The mouthpiece of a generation of opinionated ignorant (cover your ears kids - deleted expletives).

>:) 

Disclaimer: I hold nothing against Youtubers and the like that offer an unbiased opinion, or even advice for a product. But the matter of fact dictation and their opinion is fact or absolute, which if you ignore then you are shit. Grinds my gears.  You can't sit there and tell people point  blank that they will be wasting their money. What kind of arrogant idiot are you to make such a claim when you don't even  have the full facts before you. Many of those people need to remove their egos and reassess whether they are prosumer or not or just out for clicks/hits/promotion for their Youtube channel/website.

System Specs: RTX 2080 ti , i7 4790K CPU, 16 GB RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.
    edited December 4
    RuneSR2 said:
    Looks good - for the extremely few users who have a RTX card. The video may work more like a commercial for Nvidia...

Numbers just came in - the Steam Hardware Survey for November. Now we should be able to see the first RTX cards - but there're none - zippo - zero:

https://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/Steam-Hardware-Software-Survey-Welcome-to-Steam

Thus in November less than 0.15 % of Steam users had a RTX card (and there're about 100 video cards on the list). I'd be surprised to see that number increase greatly unless the price drops a lot. Unless Nvidia pays for it, as a developer it may not make sense spending a lot of time trying to optimize and implement RTX tech. 2c. 
    I have an RTX 2080 Ti and was not asked to do the survey. I login to Steam daily.

• Techy111Techy111 Posts: 5,010 Volunteer Moderator
    Feel better mate?  :D I don't listen to their nonsense or watch them, I make up my own small little mind, so far "pig in shit" comes to mind. Love my 2080ti and it's the 1st TI I've ever ever owned ;)
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.
    And FlyInside Forum Admin.
    Flyinside Flight Simulator is coming !!!!! (In Beta)
    So you're enjoying your RTX card, so am I. That's two happy customers at least. So who are those people telling us how to spend? They think we're the spawn of Satan for doing so with Nvidia at the helm being the monopolising devil incarnate. 

I'll only feel better when people get a grip, admit they were wrong or misinformed, or premature and be honest with their listeners that they were simply jumping on the Nvidia hating bandwagon for the lols and traffic. 

I think there were some people out there (the good guys) who suggested the RTX 2080 Ti cards were:-  Really nice, but totally expensive and not worth their weight at present unless you were after 20% gains in normal games regardless of cost. Maybe better to hold off until more content is available which highlights the core features of the cards. Like wait until DLSS is available as well to see how that works out. So far we have one FFXV demo (DLSS) a Tomb Raider demo at 1080p and BFV to highlight the features. Not really much to go on. Now BFV has improved significantly and still there is more to come.  But still not enough to sway audiences on a budget. But there is hope and progress and that's a good thing. It's a waiting game. Buy in now at the expensive cost and be an early adopter and not look back. Or bide your time. Prices might not come down that much if at all, but at least more showcase content will be available.

Or 

Don't buy these useless overpriced wankers cards. You're part of the problem if you do. They suck, and are not worth it. EVER. Listen to me I am a tech GOD I tell you how to spend your money. It doesn't matter if Nvidia provides me with RTX cards to feature on my Youtube channel. I will send them back once I am done with them...honest.

• nroskonrosko Posts: 879
    Neo
    Good to see they make advances in the performance of rtx (for the tiny amount of games utilising it)but is still way too poor to want to use if you have a 4k monitor. 
  • MradrMradr Posts: 2,705 Valuable Player
    To play flair - I don't see the 20x cards hold their value just yet. Right now - I just want to see how far we can push the eye candy. Going from all the places that show off any tech news - everyone was crying the RT was taking too much performance for little gains in graphics saying they couldn't actually tell the differences with it on or off. Then people came out with better pictures showing it off with clear details and then everyone move onto the FPS complaint. Now that FPS raise 50% or about 20-30 FPS with another 25% around the corner for 15 to 20 more FPS - it seems like everyone will just complain about the price and performance value for right now.

Personally - cost a side - I love Eye Candy. Seeing stuff like this is wonderful to me and I hope we see it more in the future. Flat games aside - VR actually could benefit from RT far more than any other platform for a lot of gains for realism and that sweet sweet eye candy goodness! I actually want RT to make it for other reasons as well. RT can be cause for sound - water effects - wind effects - and many other cool features in the future that would've been not possible with current generation of hardware. Plus there is the whole - I remember making my first game and bi^% about how silly/time it took to make a set spending so much time on getting lighting and other effects working. Having the ability to just turn it on and it just works is going to be amazing for getting the time it takes to make said sense and more time in creating other content will be nice change.
  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 4,051 Valuable Player

That's the only issue with the steam surveys for the small share hardware, I get the feeling the randomness of the survey requests is maybe too large to make the small figures accurate for individual months. The 4-6 month trends are probably the best measure to trust there.

Whatever the pros and cons of the cards vs cost... the thing to take away from this, for me at least, is that this tech will be on all our cards at some point, even the cheapest. I can't wait to get one, probably jump in at the very next series ti.

Gateway 2000, Pentium II 300 Mhz CPU, 64Mb RAM, STB Velocity 128 AGP Graphics Card with 4MB SGRAM, 6.4Gb Hard Drive, US Robotics 56.5kbps Internal Modem, 12/24x CDROM Drive, Ensoniq AudioPCI, Windows 95.
    edited December 4
    I just wish Nvidia would drop the price of the Geforce 1080Ti, now that the new cards have arrived. They are still selling the Geforce 1080Ti for the price it was 2 years ago when released. I'm also hoping a Geforce 1080Ti will be good enough for Rift 2, but I think it will be, Fingers crossed..
    RedRizla said:
    I just wish Nvidia would drop the price of the Geforce 1080Ti, now that the new cards have arrived. They are still selling the Geforce 1080Ti for the price it was 2 years ago. I'm also hoping a Geforce 1080Ti will be good enough for Rift 2, but I think it will be, Fingers crossed..
    Actually they stop making 1080Tis - so you are seeing just the stock cost at this point.
    3Jane
    edited December 4

That's the only issue with the steam surveys for the small share hardware, I get the feeling the randomness of the survey requests is maybe too large to make the small figures accurate for individual months. The 4-6 month trends are probably the best measure to trust there.

Whatever the pros and cons of the cards vs cost... the thing to take away from this, for me at least, is that this tech will be on all our cards at some point, even the cheapest. I can't wait to get one, probably jump in at the very next series ti.

Just tried the Lone Echo 2 Trailer again, and even pushing ss 2.0 the performance was awesome, I didn't notice asw. Moss works perfectly 90 fps ss 2.0 using a GTX 1080. Unless you have a very specific gaming focus, I don't see a great need for 2080 Ti in the majority of VR games that I play ( I'm not into sims or pancakes).

If you got some cash burning in your pocket, I'd recommend buying some original art instead - the eye candy is so much better, and tonight's the night  B)

http://www.comiclink.com/Auctions/allsub.asp?_SORT=YES&1=1&Focused=1&id=1399&TO=&FROM=&f1=a.MaxBid&ODire1=DESC&f2=i.Publisher,+i.IssueNumber,+i.Genre&ODire2=ASC&f3=a.MaxBid&ODire3=ASC
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz boost, 11 Ghz ram); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Oculus Rift CV1 - nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

edited December 4
    Mradr said:
    RedRizla said:
    I just wish Nvidia would drop the price of the Geforce 1080Ti, now that the new cards have arrived. They are still selling the Geforce 1080Ti for the price it was 2 years ago. I'm also hoping a Geforce 1080Ti will be good enough for Rift 2, but I think it will be, Fingers crossed..
    Actually they stop making 1080Tis - so you are seeing just the stock cost at this point.

In that case, lets hope my Geforce 1080 is good enough for Rift 2. Falling that, it's Playstation 5 & VR 2 for me :D
    edited December 4
    RedRizla said:

In that case, lets hope my Geforce 1080 is good enough for Rift 2. Falling that, it's Playstation 5 & VR 2 for me :D
    Honestly - there will be at least one more generation of cards before Rift 2. AMD coming out in 2019 - and I am sure the 20s will have a short life time - they're iching to get into the next shrink as well! The 20s cards I'm sure is costing Nvidia a pretty penny right now. Sell numbers are low and the cost to make said cards is much higher than making 10s cards right now. Plus you also have the yields to deal with as well on such a large chip. Shrinking down will save them in all areas in terms of cost - yields, chip space, and sell rates.
    3Jane
    Mradr said:
    RedRizla said:

Honestly - there will be at least one more generation of cards before Rift 2. AMD coming out in 2019 - and I am sure the 20s will have a short life time - they're iching to get into the next shrink as well! The 20s cards I'm sure is costing Nvidia a pretty penny right now. Not because of the cost - but because in sells numbers. 
    Owners of GTX 9xx may find RTX cards to provide an awesome performance boost, but as a GTX 1080 owner I find it more interesting to wait for 7nm cards too. I'd love a new high end card not requiring beyond 200 w.

edited December 4
    I'm also waiting on the 7nm cards, which were even rumoured to be coming in 2019. I'm not sure how true that is though. I'm mainly looking to see what Rift 2 requires because I don't do much 2D gaming..
    edited December 4
    RedRizla said:
    I'm also waiting on the 7nm cards, which were even rumoured to be coming in 2019. I'm not sure how true that is though. I'm mainly looking to see what Rift 2 requires because I don't do much 2D gaming..
    Maybe nothing - but after the bad news and people leaving the company - it has damping my feelings that Rift 2 will be a big jump - but more of an update with 2k by 2k, 135 FOV, and maybe - if we been good - focal point adjustment for around 6-700 with controllers. That put it around 3k gaming hardware requirements or any 980ti + card ( we will be in the 30s by then) or a setting of ss 2.0.
  • Techy111Techy111 Posts: 5,010 Volunteer Moderator
    My upgrade from a 1080 for simming and some 2d games and my work with Flyinside was a huge jump in performance. As for VR at least I don't have to tweak anymore. Just set on high and go. Resolution is still the hurdle of course but everything else I wanted it for has been a joy.
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.
    And FlyInside Forum Admin.
    Flyinside Flight Simulator is coming !!!!! (In Beta)
  • falken76falken76 Posts: 2,613 Valuable Player
    Unless those cards become more affordable, no dev is going to waste their time doing this becaue they'll get absolutely no ROI on their effort.  There's no audience to cater to, nobody owns the damn cards because they're a ripoff.
    edited December 4
    falken76 said:
    Unless those cards become more affordable, I see little point in devs devoting their time doing this  because I assume they'll get absolutely no ROI on their effort.  There's limited audience to cater to, as comparatively few people own the damn cards because they're too expensive for most.
    FTFY.

• falken76falken76 Posts: 2,613 Valuable Player
    edited December 4
    falken76 said:
    Unless those cards become more affordable, I see little point in devs devoting their time doing this  because I assume they'll get absolutely no ROI on their effort.  There's limited audience to cater to, as comparatively few people own the damn cards because they're too expensive for most.
    FTFY.

Yes, which = Low priority in development because your ROI isn't there.  These cards are awesome, I'd like to get one, but I need to see more people buying them first so I know that devs are enticed to make use of their features.  Eventually when these are actually affordable to the majority, the games will make use of the features because there's someone to make it for.
    edited December 4
    I think these graphics card will eventually come down in price if there not selling like hot cakes. I think Oculus reduced the price of their headset for the same reason, which was to sell more headsets and get people into VR. Even Sony are selling their VR headsets now for a mere £170, because apparently the 3 million already sold isn't enough for them. We all know Sony rely on devs and games to make a profit though..

RTX will be the future for games I think because even the Playstation 5 is rumoured to be going have RTX. Also Playstation 5 is rumoured to be capable of 60FPS at 4k resolution. If any of these rumours are true, then the PlayStation 5 & PS VR 2, might just be worth a look at. That's if PC VR becomes to expensive and requires expensive graphics cards to use it.

I'll wait to see what Rift 2 requires before I make a decision on where to go next on my VR adventure..
    edited December 4
    RedRizla said:
    RTX will be the future for games I think because even the Playstation 5 is rumoured to be going have RTX. Also Playstation 5 is rumoured to be capable of 60FPS at 4k resolution. If any of these rumours are true, then the PlayStation 5 & PS VR 2, might just be worth a look at. That's if PC VR becomes to expensive and requires expensive graphics cards to use it.
    Unless they're switching from AMD - it won't have the true RTX. DX12/Vulkan offers RT in the API so that might be what you are hearing in terms of a rumour for it. If the consoles do get it - that be a big win for it coming to the rest of the market though and pressure on AMD to make a hardware solution as well. Right now their approach is software base, but isn't hardware driven so won't be as good - the awesome thing is that most of their high end cards actually already support it:
    https://wccftech.com/amds-open-source-vulkan-ray-tracing-engine-debuting-in-games-this-year
  • nroskonrosko Posts: 879
    Neo
    I think AMD next 7n m card is going into the ps but I don't think it's very fast in comparison to 2080. I think rtx is still some way off mainstream in pc so would be surprising for a console imo.
  • EvileyesEvileyes Posts: 260
    Nexus 6
    I'm really liking these numbers, its more then double my last card. :)