cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looks like RTX got a big boost in one of their games

Anonymous
Not applicable
Not bad for early early access to the tech. Less than a few months of it out and already a 50% performance boost. Wait the stander 6 to 12 months and I wonder if RT is the way to go? I know they can increase performance another 25% with a few more tricks. That should put it back on par with running the game natively and more games to support RT in the future.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wy45bQe_XA
28 REPLIES 28

nrosko
Superstar
Good to see they make advances in the performance of rtx (for the tiny amount of games utilising it)but is still way too poor to want to use if you have a 4k monitor. 

Anonymous
Not applicable
To play flair - I don't see the 20x cards hold their value just yet. Right now - I just want to see how far we can push the eye candy. Going from all the places that show off any tech news - everyone was crying the RT was taking too much performance for little gains in graphics saying they couldn't actually tell the differences with it on or off. Then people came out with better pictures showing it off with clear details and then everyone move onto the FPS complaint. Now that FPS raise 50% or about 20-30 FPS with another 25% around the corner for 15 to 20 more FPS - it seems like everyone will just complain about the price and performance value for right now.

Personally - cost a side - I love Eye Candy. Seeing stuff like this is wonderful to me and I hope we see it more in the future. Flat games aside - VR actually could benefit from RT far more than any other platform for a lot of gains for realism and that sweet sweet eye candy goodness! I actually want RT to make it for other reasons as well. RT can be cause for sound - water effects - wind effects - and many other cool features in the future that would've been not possible with current generation of hardware. Plus there is the whole - I remember making my first game and bi^% about how silly/time it took to make a set spending so much time on getting lighting and other effects working. Having the ability to just turn it on and it just works is going to be amazing for getting the time it takes to make said sense and more time in creating other content will be nice change.

That's the only issue with the steam surveys for the small share hardware, I get the feeling the randomness of the survey requests is maybe too large to make the small figures accurate for individual months. The 4-6 month trends are probably the best measure to trust there.

Whatever the pros and cons of the cards vs cost... the thing to take away from this, for me at least, is that this tech will be on all our cards at some point, even the cheapest. I can't wait to get one, probably jump in at the very next series ti.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
I just wish Nvidia would drop the price of the Geforce 1080Ti, now that the new cards have arrived. They are still selling the Geforce 1080Ti for the price it was 2 years ago when released. I'm also hoping a Geforce 1080Ti will be good enough for Rift 2, but I think it will be, Fingers crossed..

Anonymous
Not applicable

RedRizla said:

I just wish Nvidia would drop the price of the Geforce 1080Ti, now that the new cards have arrived. They are still selling the Geforce 1080Ti for the price it was 2 years ago. I'm also hoping a Geforce 1080Ti will be good enough for Rift 2, but I think it will be, Fingers crossed..

Actually they stop making 1080Tis - so you are seeing just the stock cost at this point.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

That's the only issue with the steam surveys for the small share hardware, I get the feeling the randomness of the survey requests is maybe too large to make the small figures accurate for individual months. The 4-6 month trends are probably the best measure to trust there.

Whatever the pros and cons of the cards vs cost... the thing to take away from this, for me at least, is that this tech will be on all our cards at some point, even the cheapest. I can't wait to get one, probably jump in at the very next series ti.

Just tried the Lone Echo 2 Trailer again, and even pushing ss 2.0 the performance was awesome, I didn't notice asw. Moss works perfectly 90 fps ss 2.0 using a GTX 1080. Unless you have a very specific gaming focus, I don't see a great need for 2080 Ti in the majority of VR games that I play ( I'm not into sims or pancakes).

If you got some cash burning in your pocket, I'd recommend buying some original art instead - the eye candy is so much better, and tonight's the night  B)

http://www.comiclink.com/Auctions/allsub.asp?_SORT=YES&1=1&Focused=1&id=1399&TO=&FROM=&f1=a.MaxBid&O...

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

RedRizla
Honored Visionary

Mradr said:

RedRizla said:

I just wish Nvidia would drop the price of the Geforce 1080Ti, now that the new cards have arrived. They are still selling the Geforce 1080Ti for the price it was 2 years ago. I'm also hoping a Geforce 1080Ti will be good enough for Rift 2, but I think it will be, Fingers crossed..

Actually they stop making 1080Tis - so you are seeing just the stock cost at this point.

In that case, lets hope my Geforce 1080 is good enough for Rift 2. Falling that, it's Playstation 5 & VR 2 for me 😄

Anonymous
Not applicable

RedRizla said:

In that case, lets hope my Geforce 1080 is good enough for Rift 2. Falling that, it's Playstation 5 & VR 2 for me 😄

Honestly - there will be at least one more generation of cards before Rift 2. AMD coming out in 2019 - and I am sure the 20s will have a short life time - they're iching to get into the next shrink as well! The 20s cards I'm sure is costing Nvidia a pretty penny right now. Sell numbers are low and the cost to make said cards is much higher than making 10s cards right now. Plus you also have the yields to deal with as well on such a large chip. Shrinking down will save them in all areas in terms of cost - yields, chip space, and sell rates.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

Mradr said:

RedRizla said:

Honestly - there will be at least one more generation of cards before Rift 2. AMD coming out in 2019 - and I am sure the 20s will have a short life time - they're iching to get into the next shrink as well! The 20s cards I'm sure is costing Nvidia a pretty penny right now. Not because of the cost - but because in sells numbers. 

Owners of GTX 9xx may find RTX cards to provide an awesome performance boost, but as a GTX 1080 owner I find it more interesting to wait for 7nm cards too. I'd love a new high end card not requiring beyond 200 w.

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
I'm also waiting on the 7nm cards, which were even rumoured to be coming in 2019. I'm not sure how true that is though. I'm mainly looking to see what Rift 2 requires because I don't do much 2D gaming..