cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus sensor disconnects when connecting the Rift

KRekter
Sightseer
Hello helpful community forum from Oculus,
my last hope is currently going to the forum of Oculus itself, as their customer support
Apparently consists of 2 people and need to answer a ticket a felt week.
Actually, I expected more from a sub-company of Facebook, I hope this is understandable ...

To my request. If I connect my sensors to the Alienware Laptop 15 R4, then they will be flawless
marked with a green tick during setup. The problem here is the Rift. When I connect the Rift, an error only appears
the rift on and then the sensor. The error always pops up on the same sensor, no matter if I change it, it's always
the same sensor.

P.S: The Rift has worked properly before an update of Windows 10, without any problems.

CONNECTIONS:
- Rift connected to Type-C via Dongel
- 2x sensors connected via USB Type-A

ALREADY TESTED:
- "Computer can turn off the device to save energy" set in the Device Manager at each USB port
- Driver updated (GeForce graphics card, Alienware update, Oculus driver updated)
- HDMI port on the Rift cleaned and checked for loose contact
- (Video)

At the link you will find again the live presentation of the error I just explained here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIAwHj5guNc&;

I am very grateful for any help. (also from Oculus itself :))

12 REPLIES 12

LZoltowski
Champion
"Computer can turn off the device to save energy" set in the Device Manager at each USB port

Did you do that for both the sensors and all the controllers?

1irmqdh0th67.jpg
Also in Power Plan settings:

515h2exq48fo.jpg

Also, make sure the rift can see both sensors and that there is nothing obstructing it's view, when you click on the sensor with the error in the Oculus App, what does it say?

Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

WilliamVR
Protege
@KRekter - Looking online, I see that laptop is limited to 1 USB-C and 2 USB. I suspect that a Powered USB-Splitter would help with this. Since this could be an issue with power, or bandwidth the splitter will address both.

KRekter
Sightseer
Thanks you for your replys

@LZoltowski - I already set those settings everywhere i could in the usb and battery managment.
@WilliamVR - I tried a 3.0 USB-Hub, but without any success. You might be right with the powered USB-Splitter, but why the oculus rift worked fine since the windows was updated?

LZoltowski
Champion

KRekter said:

Thanks you for your replys

@LZoltowski - I already set those settings everywhere i could in the usb and battery managment.
@WilliamVR - I tried a 3.0 USB-Hub, but without any success. You might be right with the powered USB-Splitter, but why the oculus rift worked fine since the windows was updated?

Could be that Win 10 has a more sensitive power management.I had something similar when trying to plug in the 4th sensor into my motherboard, a powered USB Hub helped. What is the error displayed when you click on the sensor in the Oculus App?
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

KRekter
Sightseer
Could be that Win 10 has a more sensitive power management.I had something similar when trying to plug in the 4th sensor into my motherboard, a powered USB Hub helped. What is the error displayed when you click on the sensor in the Oculus App?
@LZoltowski - When i plugged it into the USB-Port, the Rift was for a moment error and then my sensor went to error. My sensor also has sometimes poor tracking quality, even with USB 3.0 which doesn't make any sense.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIAwHj5guNc&;

You can see the error also in the video which i linked before.

LZoltowski
Champion
@KRekter

No, sorry I meant, once you see the error on the sensor, click on the box, this will show more details on the left hand side, could you screenshot that and upload here?

11pz20kzqbsd.jpg

6gaqfuq5cciw.jpg

Be kind to one another 🙂

KRekter
Sightseer

@KRekter

No, sorry I meant, once you see the error on the sensor, click on the box, this will show more details on the left hand side, could you screenshot that and upload here?

I will send you a screenshot when i receive my powered USB-Hub on Thirsday, then i will connect everything again, because i think the powered USB-Hub will solve the problem. The brightness of my Alienware Laptop is always going up and down when i connect the both sensors and the rift. I already thought about that might be the issue for the error and now i have ascertained with the comment from you and @WilliamVR

WilliamVR said:

@KRekter - Looking online, I see that laptop is limited to 1 USB-C and 2 USB. I suspect that a Powered USB-Splitter would help with this. Since this could be an issue with power, or bandwidth the splitter will address both.

Seriously, it took me just 2 hours for the support and to solve my problem. Maybe your Oculus Staff is more active in forums then in the Costumer-Support. Anyways, thanks a lot to you both guys @LZoltowski - and @WilliamVR - i really appreciate your help, really big thanks to you.

LZoltowski
Champion
@KRekter  You are very welcome

Be kind to one another 🙂

WilliamVR
Protege
@KRekter as you can imagine, we're very busy this time of year. The team is working hard to stay on top of things. Glad you were able to get it sorted 😉

Thanks for being awesome, @LZoltowski