cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NVIDIA AI turns reality into virtual reality (one step closer to the matrix)

LZoltowski
Champion
Seems that an idea I wrote on the proverbial napkin a few years back that posed the following question:

"I wonder if you could get AI to look at GTA V game footage, and then after being trained what it should look like in real life, could the AI apply reality, onto the 3d game engine"

Well, folks, NVIDIA researchers are on it, after training AI on roads, buildings, cars etc they have managed to make the AI generate "reality" on top of a rudimentary Unreal Engine environment. This is all early stages, but the possibilities are endless, and a true precursor to the matrix future.

Just think about it, in the future there won't be ray tracing, raster or any other "traditional" graphics engines, or cuda cores, there will be Neural Networks that generate images indistinguishable from reality running on Tensor cores, 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayPqjPekn7g

https://www.engadget.com/2018/12/03/nvidia-ai-video-to-video-synthesis/
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂
25 REPLIES 25

Anonymous
Not applicable
AI is still a silly word to me. Don't get me wrong - I think AI is great - but some of what we call AI is really not AI - but just smart coding. Amazing work nonetheless - like wow!

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Mradr said:

AI is still a silly word to me. Don't get me wrong - I think AI is great - but some of what we call AI is really not AI - but just smart coding. Amazing work nonetheless - like wow!

I agree. It's a term for the average consumer though. The type of consumer who doesn't really care to know or understand the difference between a system based on Fuzzy Logic vs a Neural Network.

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee
Connection?

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/artifical-intelligence-tv-graphics-2019/4308340/

i5 9600k @4.5GHz; 16GB DDR4 3200; 6xSSD; RTX2080ti; Gigabyte Z390D Mobo
Rift CV1; Index; Quest; Quest 2

Anonymous
Not applicable
My input into this from my personal perspective as mainly a graphic designer (i do code and other things as well but my "skilltree" is highest on 3D graphic design) i would gladly take a step back if this technology became mainstream.

Of course youd still need graphic artists as not every simulation would be based in our realty, but personally working on an urban styled title myself for next year, id really like this tech lol

currently im doing a lot of texture trickery with materials to get an object looking good close and far but imagine seeing a building and walking up and inch from your eye seeing the imperfections in the bricks!

Sorry for the long post lol i geek out about stuff as cool as this lol

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hope this is allowed, this is a screen from a test i did, its really just a texture titled under a texture to create some kind of okay look when up close, but its flaw is its tiled, 

This tech could have every square foot of detail infinitely random. 

Anonymous
Not applicable
pc1311wt8k96.jpg

Luciferous
Consultant
I read Awaken Online this year in which a (fictional, real erm) AI was created to design and build a new kind of RPG. It was essentially every NPC, Tree, building and Animal.  A good read if you like light adventure stories. 

It made complete sense though that this is the way games will eventually go. It just takes way too long for humans to create complex detailed worlds. Imagine a real AI that could make new worlds like Skyrim with interactive NPC'S in weeks instead of years. In the book it also fully tailored each adventure to the player and was able to create a full history and memory for each NPC. Of course things go bad but what good book doesn't 🙂

Despite games looking slick and beautiful, the one thing I feel has not moved on is AI in NPC characters. I still think we had equally intelligent bots in Quake many moons back as we have today. I used to feel that way about flat screens but we have moved on now thanks to Oculus. 

LZoltowski
Champion
@Luciferous

Yes! NPC AI, doesn't seem to be in any widespread use at the moment, I wonder what the barriers are. I have seen some very convincing chatbots that can hold a decent conversation etc.

Perhaps computing cost is too great, I wonder if GPU's having Tensor Cores being more common in the future will really give us AI powered NPC's. 
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

kzintzi
Trustee
part of the problem with decent NPC AI is that people complain when it does the same things as a human - case in point, when the Thief remake came out, there was lots of complaining that the AI had been dumbed down, but then the Dev's released a statement/article that said they had to otherwise when the AI heard the character it waited for it and hunted him down too well and people complained that the AI was too good.

plus, a real decent NPC AI would be just the code you'd need for your hunter-killer robots when they take over the world!! :tongue:

Though you are more than slightly incoherent, I agree with you Madam,
a plum is a terrible thing to do to a nostril.

Luciferous
Consultant
I think though surely there could be options for that depending on players preference. I know games have level of difficulty but this just seems more enemies or more hits to kill them. plus with the standard AI upping the AI intelligence just equates to them having super human abilities like seeing you in a bush a mile off at night.