New to the forums? Click here to read the How To guide. -- Developers click here.

The Time Has Come

Comments

• LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,429 Volunteer Moderator
    RedRizla said:
    Cybereality, last active 5 days ago. Does this mean he hasn't even visited the forums in 5 days?
    That account is now locked to avoid confusion. 
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)
  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 4,051 Valuable Player
    Ah yes, we can rule out the latter! Mind you, we can't rule out he's visiting the forum incognito.
    Gateway 2000, Pentium II 300 Mhz CPU, 64Mb RAM, STB Velocity 128 AGP Graphics Card with 4MB SGRAM, 6.4Gb Hard Drive, US Robotics 56.5kbps Internal Modem, 12/24x CDROM Drive, Ensoniq AudioPCI, Windows 95.
  • kevinw729kevinw729 Posts: 4,039 Valuable Player
    Ah yes, we can rule out the latter! Mind you, we can't rule out he's visiting the forum incognito.

Hope he manages to do that before the revamp  B)
    P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
  • Techy111Techy111 Posts: 5,010 Volunteer Moderator
    RuneSR2 said:
    Zenbane said:

The first lesson learned as an inmate...
    And don't use the dropped soap  o:)
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.
    And FlyInside Forum Admin.
    Flyinside Flight Simulator is coming !!!!! (In Beta)
  • kojackkojack Posts: 4,650 Volunteer Moderator
    edited December 5
    RedRizla said:
    Cybereality, last active 5 days ago. Does this mean he hasn't even visited the forums in 5 days?
    That account is now locked to avoid confusion. 
    the least you could do is ban it ;)
    Moderators can't ban admins (so the new forum staff are safe from us). We can mass delete all 26156 posts he's made, or issue a warning, but not ban. :)
    (Although... if I warn him a few times the auto-jail feature might kick in)

• snowdogsnowdog Posts: 5,367 Power Poster
    He's probably boycotting the forums in protest because I haven't got his Forum Admin rights yet. Quite right too, thanks for the support @cybereality B)
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • vannagirlvannagirl Posts: 1,872 Valuable Player

It's probably either a condition of leaving Oculus/Facebook's' employ, a condition of joining another company's employ, self imposed to avoid any chance of breaking NDAs or conflict of interest.... or he's having a break.

Take your pick, depending on personal preference/thickness of tinfoil hat. I'd say 5 days is too early to rule out the latter.

I have a feeling he will be back, he is too into VR and still a founder of VR to stay away. We will probably see "Andres Unlocked"  :p
    Look, man. I only need to know one thing: where they are. 
  • vannagirlvannagirl Posts: 1,872 Valuable Player
    Also

This forum migrated to an FB group

Calling it now :P
    Look, man. I only need to know one thing: where they are. 
  • Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 3,171 Power Poster
    edited December 5
    Back on topic. Cybereality is a bit of a legend (generally) and I am wondering with all the changes going on will this place be the same now? It seems there has been some seismic movement (ok slight exaggeration there)  with personnel but not with VR progression from team Oculus.  I mean, even Zelator doesn't post as much anymore. And several people who used to don't either (myself included). 

What's happening guys? Is the lack of general Oculus excitement simply being mirrored here? Is this just the status quo until something new is released?

System Specs: RTX 2080 ti , i7 4790K CPU, 16 GB RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.
  • hoppingbunny123hoppingbunny123 Posts: 354
    Nexus 6
    I remember the mod who left from a vr forum he was a mod at too. way back before oculus was a company before facebook even before the doom guy carmack got involved. people like that made vr what it is today. 
    vannagirl said:

This forum migrated to an FB group

Calling it now :P

Too late, last year I called the Facebook VR name change and forum update!

B) 
    P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 5,049 Valuable Player
    Back on topic. Cybereality is a bit of a legend (generally) and I am wondering with all the changes going on will this place be the same now? It seems there has been some seismic movement (ok slight exaggeration there)  with personnel but not with VR progression from team Oculus.  I mean, even Zelator doesn't post as much anymore. And several people who used to don't either (myself included). 

What's happening guys? Is the lack of general Oculus excitement simply being mirrored here? Is this just the status quo until something new is released?

Yeah the Oculus VR forum seems to have turned into a forum about different things unrelated to VR. The only time I see anything mentioned about the Oculus VR headset is if someone has a problem or needs support now. I guess it's up to Oculus to get use exited about VR on their forums, but they don't say a great deal or give much away. Oculus Quest doesn't arrive until next spring, so apart from a few new games and apps there's not a lot to talk about tbh. 

I would love to hear more about Rift 2 and talk about that, but god knows when that's going to happen..
    I remember the excitement of Rift 1 and order numbers, tracking numbers, delivery dates prices and numerous "first" reviews lol I agree though, this forum is flat now as the tech we are using is over 2 years old and there really isn't much worthwhile to add is there ? :( I for one will disappear if the forum goes full facebook but until then it has been a blast here. Would love to meet up with a lot of you for a good old 2D christmas party kneesup ;)
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 910
    3Jane
    vannagirl said:

It's probably either a condition of leaving Oculus/Facebook's' employ, a condition of joining another company's employ, self imposed to avoid any chance of breaking NDAs or conflict of interest.... or he's having a break.

Take your pick, depending on personal preference/thickness of tinfoil hat. I'd say 5 days is too early to rule out the latter.

I have a feeling he will be back, he is too into VR and still a founder of VR to stay away. We will probably see "Andres Unlocked"  :p

Maybe, but it'll probably be awhile. He just left the company - if that was me I wouldn't try to go back and continue my old job for free - like helping Oculus users and answering/writing forum posts ;) Actually I'd stay as far away as possible from that. 

Probably better to look for him on Twitter:

https://twitter.com/cybereality?lang=en
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz boost, 11 Ghz ram); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Oculus Rift CV1 - nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR" ;-)
  • Doum76Doum76 Posts: 80
    Hiro Protagonist
    Techy111 said:
    Page 3 will be the start of the conspiracy theories... mark my words.
    The earth is round !!! Ooh wait......flat I mean......or rectangle.......cyber left because Nintendo head hunted him.
    No entirely wrong my friend, Earth in flat in non-VR and round in VR. ;)
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 5,367 Power Poster
    Of course the world is flat, you crazy fools. :o :D
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • dburnedburne Posts: 1,634
    Project 2501
    Yep this forum has definitely changed...
    Don

EVGA X-79 Dark MB | I7 [email protected] GHz | EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |16GB Corsair Platinum 2133MHz | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals |
    RedRizla said:
    Yeah the Oculus VR forum seems to have turned into a forum about different things unrelated to VR. The only time I see anything mentioned about the Oculus VR headset is if someone has a problem or needs support now. I guess it's up to Oculus to get use exited about VR on their forums, but they don't say a great deal or give much away. Oculus Quest doesn't arrive until next spring, so apart from a few new games and apps there's not a lot to talk about tbh. 

I would love to hear more about Rift 2 and talk about that, but god knows when that's going to happen..

Yes, a forum can be judged by its most prolific posters and by its moderation.
    Well we would all love to see a return to a more even keel posting style and maybe encourage back (from the FB forum) some of the more opinionated posters to start open debate - but again the policing of the forum and if FB really wants this to be a "open" discussion group will all play their part.
    P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    Open debate is fine Kev....I would welcome that....but the opinionated posters who are not here are banned for a reason and its not because of heated or polite debate, some for open hostility and others for personal attacks, I for one would not welcome them back.
  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 4,051 Valuable Player

I think the forum has evolved in sympathy with Oculus users... in the DK days it was all about the relatively very small number of enthusiast, the early adopters and tinkerers. Now we're well into the CV era and the forum users just reflect that... they're (we're) all consumers.

So it's natural for proportionately larger number of posts to be about problems they're having, consumers tend to look to a forum in the first instance for that purpose. The early enthusiasts tended to visit to share what they were doing or see what the latest development were to a much greater extent, that still happens of course but in proportion with the change to consumer use.

The non-VR posts I think are just a reflection of the length of time for new VR hardware to come to market (I'm talking PC VR really). Looking back, developments seemed to be moving at a very fast pace. Big PC VR hardware developments are now limited to a large degree by things like PC drivability and software developer involvement. In the DK days the apparent rapid iterations were partly because there was a big gap to be filled between what was available at the time and what could be done.

Gateway 2000, Pentium II 300 Mhz CPU, 64Mb RAM, STB Velocity 128 AGP Graphics Card with 4MB SGRAM, 6.4Gb Hard Drive, US Robotics 56.5kbps Internal Modem, 12/24x CDROM Drive, Ensoniq AudioPCI, Windows 95.
    I agree with both point - and especially those banned should stay banned just to avoid further fuel on the fire.

Regarding the maturing of the debate - I wanted to see more VR discussion, but there seems to have been an issue with some to seeing none OVR discussion.

I hope with Quest we will see a new calibre of poster - I was surprised we did not see that with Go, but I understand that the penetration may not have been as wide as previously hoped.
    P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
  • kzintzikzintzi Posts: 1,024 Poster of the Week
    but if we improve the calibre of the posters, @snowdog will get all whiney and start hiding in the walls again, and you know how long it too to get him out last time :smiley:

I'm not sure we even have that picture of @vannagirl's Avatar anymore...

Though you are more than slightly incoherent, I agree with you Madam,
    a plum is a terrible thing to do to a nostril.
    I don't think perma-banning everyone who has been banned is productive - if nothing else it makes the forum less alive, and we don't get the debate and discussion that brings us back...

I like the new Oculus Rift sub-category, as it seems to be moving a lot of the Rift-specific stuff out of the general forum and making it easier to wade through when the debate is at it's most robust.
  • LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,429 Volunteer Moderator
    GO is really a mainstream casual consumer, non-technical, etc, I don't see them using a forum.
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)
    hey, wait... I never got my T-Shirt for poster of the week.. d#mn it, now he's gone I'm never going to get it :disappointed:

that's friken hilarious :smiley: