cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

volumetric display and anti sde technology idea.

hoppingbunny123
Rising Star

you have a screen put over every pixel and shape the screen to take the light from the pixel and fill in the spaces visible between the pixels that make sde.

how you do this is using 4 things.

- measuring in tenths, you have a tube, the tube measuring 1 to 2. at 1 is the pixel, at 2 is the glass covering the total area of the end of the tube, in-between 1 and 2 measuring in tenths is the tube.

in-between the pixel and the tube at 1 on the tube is two lenses.

- the lens math for the double convex and double concave lens is, the light leaving the lens is equal to the shape of the light entering the lens, but inverted.

- double convex to magnify the light from the pixel, which removes the light scatter.

- a double concave lens, to take the focused collected light and make it all one color again and not focused.

now the screen is magnified which acts like the vr lens, but without the Fresnel lens.

- send the light from the pixel to the double convex lens,
- then from the double convex lens send the light to the double concave lens,
- then from the double concave lens send the light to the tube.
the tubes walls are painted white to reflect the light from the pixel. 
the top and bottom of the tube is not painted white for the pixel light to be able to enter and leave the tube.

the tube is larger at the 2 mark then it is at the 1 mark, at 2 the pixels on the display are nested together removing all sde.

to hold the tube in place, you have a mesh at at least two places in-between 1 and 2 on the tube and the tube being different sizes alone the length of the tube slots into the mesh.

on the bottom of the tube, the lenses can be stored in a separate tube, the container is fixed to the mesh.

volumetric display

you take the same principle for the pixel and use it for the entire display screen, all the pixels are covered by the 1 double convex lens, 1 double concave lens, and the tube is where the new idea is.

the tube has the white on the tube change from black to white, and the tenths on the tube have hundredths joining each tenth.

it might be in practice using hundredths is too much but its good to explain the idea.

starting from 1 you have a single hundredth mark. you light up the section on the tube white on the entire perimeter of the tube at that first hundredth mark.

the rest of the tube is black.

then keep that hundredth at 1 lit up and go to the next hundredth and light that hundredth up.

the rest of the tube is still black.

repeat this for every single hundredth in order from 1 to 2 to light up the entire tube.

now none of the tube is black.

ok now you can light up the tube, you go to the next step and add in panels of glass inside the tube, this panel of glass will capture the light from the displays pixels at that spot on the tube.

the entire area of the glass panel is lit up at that hundredth marker on the tube so the light from the panel reflects the light from the display on the lit up glass panel.

this can be so at 1 there is a glass panel, the light at the first hundredth lights up the glass panel and the picture is seen at that paint in the tube.

the person sees the display from 2 on the tube so the display at 1 shows the picture to be deep inside the tube.

the glass panel is lit up by both the light at that hundredth going into the glass perimeter, and second by the light in the tube in-between the glass in the tube and the double concave lens.

so if you want no light on the first glass panel at 1 in the tube you turn off the lights in-between 1 and the glass panel and at the glass panel and turn on the light for every hundredth after that up to and at the next glass panel,.

then coat the glass panel on the 1 side facing the lit hundredths with a anti-reflective coat, so the glass panel not lit up isnt seen reflecting light when it shouldn't.

then you have the display show a 3d image at a high frame rate and the picture matches a section of the tube, the frame rate is high enough the person sees the tube as one image but in volumetric 3d. with no sde.
33 REPLIES 33

hoppingbunny123
Rising Star
I tried to get half of the screen covered in the middle layer by half of the screen on the bottom layer, to increase the look of a hologram in the middle layer, but it looked really ugly, but it worked for some dark scenes too but not very noticeable over the ugly line in the middle of the screen.

so I had two options if I was going to try to make the middle layer look ok, I could either go for less of a pre-dominant visible line and have a line towards the bottom of the screen in the middle layer and hope it worked, or just erase all lines from the middle layer and that's what I did, I erased all line from the bottom layer that was visible in the middle layer.

I found it made the picture better in the bottom and middle layer too. now my home made crafted device is usable and fun, lol.

heres the new video and pictures of this second version of the augmented reality device;

https://youtu.be/Fa8r4lWCEKA

u9n64qixfdpo.jpg

78wwe5iq02w3.jpg

nec0elsbemb5.jpg

82kygqk5nh82.jpg

hoppingbunny123
Rising Star
after trying the craft ar out for a while I found some necessary things to improve;

the phone tilt, which meant the bottom layer had to be reseated.

I added a black trim to the bottom layer where the cd case was cut to not see the cut when im watching videos.

I added some black paper to the back of the second layer so the top layer didn't show the back of the cd case.

i filled in some more on the cloths pin the phone hooks on to get the new phone angle.

i taped on black paper to make the craft look better.

after watching the new blade runner short where Trixie dies i watched it in a dim lit room and i thought i was watching some far into the future technology from some movie like blade runner, the picture in the ar craft was mesmerizing.

so now i have a working model its all dolled up and good to behold and works i will shelve it, put it in my drawer alone with my earlier funnel craft which i redid too, it was ugly and inefficient so i redid it using crafting glue gun instead of a lot of duct tape.

if they make some ar device i will watch the blade runner short with Trixie again. i had fun making this ar device and using it, but now its time to put it away and wait for a professional model from some company like oculus to make one.

heres the videos showing the final ar craft i made.

https://youtu.be/-y9i4h8oumo

hoppingbunny123
Rising Star
one other thing, I thought you would take care to wear a face mask when using the glue gun but in case you don't know, wear a face mask to stop the flying bit of glue from being breathed in!

if for some reason you breathed in a small strand of hot glue gun glue and its messed up your breathing, heres what I did that fixed me up.

- boil some water, breathe it in for 5 minutes for 3 or 4 minutes at a time, 2 times spaced about 4 minutes apart.
- then added half a cup of white vinegar to the boiling water, wait for it to boil then take in about 5 to 10 breathes of the boiling vinegar, it will close up your lungs for a second so don't make the vinegar mix too strong, if it burns too much then dilute the mix with more water.
the vinegar will kill the germs in the lungs and dissolve the glue.

it will be sore in the lungs for a few hours, then it will clear up after a good nights rest.
this might help too if you have a cold that's stuffed up your lungs. bugs hate vinegar.

edit.
upon testing reflecting the video source onto a reflective surface, a cd case, then shining that reflective surface onto the three layers what I see is junk, you need the original source of video shining on the three layers, directly. or you could try something like a plane mirror that shines the light straight as the reflective surface then shine that surface onto the three layers.

hoppingbunny123
Rising Star
today I decided to try out angling another layer of cd case inside my ar craft to see if I could get another video source to be seen at a different angle and it worked but I didn't make it. then I saw if I layered cd cases I got a double picture that looked 3d, or more 3d, but it was ugly it worked only in one part of the picture so I didn't do that either.

then I looked at my craft and was unsatisfied it was good, so I reangled the bottom layer, then I replaced the bottom layer cd case cause I didn't want to see the bits of plastic covering the picture, it breaks the immersion I find a bit anyway. then I saw some marks on the second layer so I took that off too and put on a clean second layer, as clean as I had in my drawer of cd cases anyway, I want to go to amazon and get some new cd cases with no scratches next I think.

so I adjusted the picture on the second and third layers since they were taken off the craft, why not, and now the three layers looks better imho.

so here is a video I took showing my augmented reality craft 4, or version 4;

https://youtu.be/lDS6D1MvY_I

the only thing now is the lamp on the side doesn't work so good, it washes out the picture or lights it unevenly I find, so I might fix that next.

and I showed the pen flashlight showing the three layers like I did with my tunnel craft so you could see how this ar craft 4 compares to my previous tunnel or funnel crafts. its in the video I just linked too.

13e2e912p1j7.jpg
prov05jf6tfj.jpg
bsb9nlv5c9tp.jpg

edit.

after taping up the insides of the craft on both inside layers the flashlight on the right is partially hidden and now works to make the picture better and doesn't make the picture worse. so I will put it back in my drawer next to my redone funnel craft, maybe when I get new cd cases the picture will be good but right now the cd cases are scratched up.

hoppingbunny123
Rising Star
I drew a picture of the optics so a formula could be made up, I will attach the picture.

vdniba8x1w08.jpg

the goal of the thread was to reduce sde, and I did that if you look at the mirror effect that shrinks the image in the mirror tunnel;

http://www.mirrorhistory.com/mirror-facts/infinity-mirror/

I find the image on the second layer to be shrunk enough the visible pixel effect on the top layer is reduce to give the image a anti sde look, it looks better without sde.

look at my videos you can see the image on the third layer is smaller than the image on the top layer.

this optical logic diagram is from what I see and understand of my craft, I might come up with a better image and explanation in the future if I think hard about it, but right now this is all I have.

hoppingbunny123
Rising Star
edited into later post, this was rough draft.

hoppingbunny123
Rising Star
today I saw the oculus patent for a tilting mirror vr;

https://uploadvr.com/oculus-patent-human-eye-retinal/

what this is missing it occurred to me, was the variable depth of the display..
that's where my invention comes into play.

if you have the mirror tilt the image to the eye, the image being tilted by the mirror can be one of the three layers in my optical invention.

you show each layer by moving the contraption I made so the window the mirror sees is one of the three depths in my optical invention, the top layer, or middle layer, or bottom layer.

this way the eye sees the depth from the mirror.

and to have the variable focal range between 25 cm (~10 inches) to infinity, you have the distance from the mirror be increased or decreased using a mechanical spacer. I imagine the space between the top layer and middle or bottom layer being increased or decreased would have an effect on the perceived size of the object on that layer. so if the middle layer was at the distance of the bottom layer it would appear smaller and then the bottom layer being even farther would appear minuscule or very far away.

bmfid0ruyzq8.jpg

hoppingbunny123
Rising Star
thinking about the oculus patent and how to do it.

take two displays with the same resolution, same pixel density, but two different sizes, one larger one smaller.

the smaller display will be the picture on the outside. the larger display will be the picture on the inside.

here is a quote from the article:

"A steerable mirror and optical combiner then project this display into the lens, at the position the user’s eye is pointed. "

a "optical combiner" joins the two pictures together.

so the optical system I made has the second or third layer of my optical invention be the image seen in the center, where the foveated rendering works in the oculus patent.
this layer in my optical system is the same size as the smaller display seen on the outside.
and the size of the picture in the layer in my optical system the eye looks at is the size of the area you want in focus with foveated rendering.

the layer seen in my optical system is not the size of the entire picture, just the size the eye tracking sees the eye is looking at.

in my optical system, by the layer seen distance from the top layer, the layer seen in my optical system has a greater pixel density and so less sde.

you could also just show the entire picture with less sde and have the adjustable layer distance to adjust for the variable focal range but this would stop the foveated rendering eye tracking and data collection or $ so you decide whats best for you.

hoppingbunny123
Rising Star
It occurred to me that there could be two displays that work in the varifocal that uses my optical system 

They use the same technique i described for foveated rendering described in the oculus patent that uses my optical system 

The one display being smaller than the other is the surrounding display, the larger display followed by foveated rendering is the other display. 

The two displays work with foveated rendering so the eye tracking moves the varifocal display.

It would be big though but bring vr into the future.

hoppingbunny123
Rising Star
I thought I would add some pictures to show my idea in my posts regarding the oculus patent and my optical invention. the oculus patent would be the fourth picture, this is for one eye, for two eyes just repeat the mechanism for the other eye;

https://imgur.com/a/1YKC1t3

bhpx4ke7a2bw.jpgz5efctzxgjkl.jpgkpcdi3blad0a.jpgj80o9o0vuo9w.jpg