New to the forums? Click here to read the How To guide. -- Developers click here.

The Time Has Come

Comments

• DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 4,051 Valuable Player
    Snowdog, I can honestly say, that without question, you are in a calibre all your own.
    Gateway 2000, Pentium II 300 Mhz CPU, 64Mb RAM, STB Velocity 128 AGP Graphics Card with 4MB SGRAM, 6.4Gb Hard Drive, US Robotics 56.5kbps Internal Modem, 12/24x CDROM Drive, Ensoniq AudioPCI, Windows 95.
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 5,367 Power Poster
    Snowdog, I can honestly say, that without question, you are in a calibre all your own.

My Mum says I'm Special, I went to a Special School and everything. B)
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • kevinw729kevinw729 Posts: 4,039 Valuable Player
    edited December 5
    I hope with Quest we will see a new calibre of poster - I was surprised we did not see that with Go, but I understand that the penetration may not have been as wide as previously hoped.
    I hope you are not belittling current forum users by that statement @kevinw729 :)

Its a good point @LZoltowski - rather than calibre I should have said quantity - to be frank we hardly see Go posters, the Rift posters seem more focused in these general discussions. No criticism of the quality was intended.  B)

P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
    Bollocks. :D :D :D
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

• LuciferousLuciferous Posts: 1,512
    Wintermute
    edited December 5
    RedRizla said:
    Cybereality, last active 5 days ago. Does this mean he hasn't even visited the forums in 5 days?

Well he can still view the posts as a guest. So I am sure he is reading our kind wishes, conspiracies, struggles for power and I see currently we are at the turning on each other stage as forum society breaks down. I for one will be stockpiling games and tins of dog food for the inevitable VR apocalypse.
  • MradrMradr Posts: 2,705 Valuable Player
    edited December 6
    Zenbane said:
    When I joined this forum in 2016, both the Quality and Quantity were quite terrible. For example, anyone remember when this forum was damn near 90% Vive and 10% Oculus at best? It was so bad that poor Maxpare had to create a Vive thread asking everyone to keep the convo in one place:

Ok I am kinda of tired of seeing the Oculus forum flooded with VIVE threads, don't really get why people post about it here, but I am not going to try and stop anyone of doing so, but please use the a single VIVE thread for it, remember that this is an Oculus forum, and it's kinda of annoying when you want to talk about the Rifts and threads go on the second page because of out of topics VIVE thread... Talking about headset when both were just prototypes and all was cool but it would be nice to have separate forums now, it would also help the general mood. Anyway I am not a moderator but with both headset being released I believe this time has come... Hope Cybereality does something about it
    https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/30962/official-vive-thread/p1

I'm very happy to see the progress that this forum has made, especially in terms of the caliber of poster. Not everyone will be happy about how this forum has evolved, but those who are here for the right reasons are what make this community so awesome. And I, for one, and very happy about the friendships I've made over the last 2+ years.
    :)
    To play fair - at that time - Vive didn't really have a home/place to be. There was Oculus and Vive and everyone was holding their breath in what was going to be the best in terms of a platform and hardware. All in all - the forum was being used as a VR hot spot more than just Oculus forum.

I wouldn't say the changes to moving Vive threads help any but the fact of time moved everyone to their respected spots. Vive finally had their own official forum and a number of Vive users/customers moved to that forum instead. People found out the information they wanted and time curve the over all interest into what everyone wanted to know/want. For example, we now have https://www.roadtovr.com/ that wasn't really a thing yet - but now is a place you can go for news on upcoming VR related things.
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 12,279 Power Poster
    Mradr said:
    To play fair - at that time - Vive didn't really have a home/place to be.
    That is completely false. The Vive had at least two Facebook groups at that time, and a reddit page. It is actually because there were Vive communities everywhere that I ended up on this official forum. And it didn't surprise me at all that it was flooded with Vive users based on what I was already seeing on reddit and Facebook.

You are right in the sense that the Vive didn't have just... ONE home. It had many, and the Rift had none.

But that got cleaned up mighty fast ;)
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • MradrMradr Posts: 2,705 Valuable Player
    edited December 6
    Zenbane said:
    Mradr said:
    To play fair - at that time - Vive didn't really have a home/place to be.
    That is completely false. The Vive had at least two Facebook groups at that time, and a reddit page. It is actually because there were Vive communities everywhere that I ended up on this official forum. And it didn't surprise me at all that it was flooded with Vive users based on what I was already seeing on reddit and Facebook.

You are right in the sense that the Vive didn't have just... ONE home. It had many, and the Rift had none.

But that got cleaned up mighty fast ;)
    Well it had one.. ever so small it was lol. Not that surprising either at the time. Oculus was just coming out of a FB deal and was a small company compare to Vive + Steam backing them up at the time. If it wasn't for FB buying out Oculus - things would've been massively different when you think about it. Vive+Steam would've been the top dogs and with the backing/following of Steam users would've made a lot of sense why they was over many locations. Still funny - Oculus was still first to have their own forums and a place to communicate and share their thoughts and feelings for the future of VR:)

What we will have to keep an eye on now is Steam releasing their HMD next year. That is going to be a game changer power house to watch out for as they will have both a store to cut hardware deals with and offer more hardware for the same price. Plus they make game software controlling almost every drop of code that goes into it. I feel we're going to have a round two / repeat of what happen before once they give out more details on the HMD and the time gets closer to that news:)
  • MorgrumMorgrum Posts: 1,362 Poster of the Week
    edited December 6
    RedRizla said:
    Cybereality, last active 5 days ago. Does this mean he hasn't even visited the forums in 5 days?

Well he can still view the posts as a guest. So I am sure he is reading our kind wishes, conspiracies, struggles for power and I see currently we are at the turning on each other stage as forum society breaks down. I for one will be stockpiling games and tins of dog food for the inevitable VR apocalypse.
    Canned food and shotguns my friend canned food and shotguns! 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1JITC1fo2HA&feature=youtu.be
    WAAAGH!
  • Techy111Techy111 Posts: 5,010 Volunteer Moderator
    So what you're all saying is, Cyber is going to start off the zombie apocalypse? Off to Tesco to stock up on canned shandy and digestives.
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.
    And FlyInside Forum Admin.
    Flyinside Flight Simulator is coming !!!!! (In Beta)
  • kevinw729kevinw729 Posts: 4,039 Valuable Player
    Mradr said:
    What we will have to keep an eye on now is Steam releasing their HMD next year. That is going to be a game changer power house to watch out for as they will have both a store to cut hardware deals with and offer more hardware for the same price. Plus they make game software controlling almost every drop of code that goes into it. I feel we're going to have a round two / repeat of what happen before once they give out more details on the HMD and the time gets closer to that news:)

I have to agree @Mradr - from the reports of those that tried the Valve 1.1 headset it is a major game changer and that it has a must have content set in place makes it an interesting offering as an all-in-one VR solution. Its just that price point that could prove a hurdle, but time will change. Going to be a great GDC, hopefully a lot of the DK1 vibes can be "revived".

P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 5,049 Valuable Player
    Techy111 said:

I don't need one of those T-Shirts my double chins and beard looks a lot like that..
    Mradr said:
    Well it had one.. ever so small it was lol. Not that surprising either at the time. Oculus was just coming out of a FB deal and was a small company compare to Vive + Steam backing them up at the time. If it wasn't for FB buying out Oculus - things would've been massively different when you think about it. Vive+Steam would've been the top dogs and with the backing/following of Steam users would've made a lot of sense why they was over many locations. Still funny - Oculus was still first to have their own forums and a place to communicate and share their thoughts and feelings for the future of VR:)

The more I thought about it, the more I realized how many Vive communities were online at launch:
    • Vive subreddit
    • Two Vive Facebook Groups
    • Steam VR Forums
    Steam had two forums for the Vive, the VR Forum and the Vive Forum:

Going from memory:
    • The Oculus subreddit was filled with Vive users.
    • One of the Vive Facebook Groups turned in to an Oculus Rift group, so was filled with Vive users.
    • This official Oculus forum was filled with Vive users.
    Now the reason I remember everything so clearly is because I had just spent nearly $3,000 to invest in a new Oculus Ready PC plus the cost of the Rift at launch ($600), and a few hundred dollars on VR Software. After doing that, I was ready to collaborate with other Rift owners... only to find that there was nowhere to go. Again, look at Maxpare's 2016 post to get an idea of what it was like.

It's the very reason I dusted off the old Forum Warrior tights and went to town on all the "haters" that plagued this forum. It wasn't just about the money I had spent, but also about the time I was going to dedicate to VR; not just as a consumer but as a developer. Vivarians made a home of nearly every major VR Forum on the Internet (even the crappy AVForums); this place needed a proper cleansing. Enima, if you will.
    :p

Many people left during that cleansing. Some of their own accord, others against their will lol. But those who left because they didn't like how the forum was progressing were also the same people who sat idly by and practically relished in the chaos that Vive users were causing this community. And chaos it was considering that nearly every Vive user at that time would chastise Rift owners for "choosing a lesser product" or "promoting everything bad about VR" (walled garden, exclusivity, etc).

Fast forward to now and we have owners of multiple VR products from rival companies all getting together quite harmoniously. EvilEyes, for example, is a Vive owner who did a great job of providing SkyrimVR Mod information. inovator owns PSVR and provides good insight to that fairly often. ShadowMask has owned just about every worthwhile VR HMD available.

Speaking of which, I personally shipped ShadowMask a Samsung Odyssey in November! We're still talking over PM to make sure everything arrived in one piece.

But I digress. As I said earlier, those who are here for the right reasons are what make this community so great.
    Morgrum said:
    You had me at “Tights”.....

The last time I wore tights was in the 90s when I dressed as a turkey for a Christmas gig. Yellow tights with lines drawn across with a black permanent marker and a huge white t-shirt with scrunched up tissues glued to it. I wanted to stick a pink marigolds on my head to complete the look but it wouldn't fit on my head lmfao :D

• shadowfroggershadowfrogger Posts: 502
    Trinity
    Best of luck to you, thanks for all the years of great dedication to this place! Not to mention the professional restrain of not joining all the fun toll fights over the years! (which you should totally come and do under a new user name). Or have you already been posting as.. 🤔
    Visit my amateur homegrown indie game company website!
    http://www.gaming-disorder.com/
  • Digikid1Digikid1 Posts: 1,394
    Project 2501
    Hmm...perhaps he’s really @snowdog AND @vannagirl!

How diabolical!!!!!!  
  • SkScotcheggSkScotchegg Posts: 665
    Neo
    edited December 7
    Where you going mate? And did you get paid for working for Oculus? And if so how much? :)

Who's going to run the forums now?

Will things get out of control without a proper BOSS moderating these forums? Who's in charge now?

Who's going to reply when people post "my Rift broke" or "My ticket to support hasn't been answered?" lol

Erm, before you leave can I have admin rights? Thanks. :wink:
    No, you can't have Forum Admin rights, they're going to me. Obviously. Because I'm the only one here sane enough to handle the responsibility.

And if I don't get them soon Mr Zuckerberg is getting taken off my Christmas Card List and going right to the top of my Turd In A Box For Christmas List. So he'll be number one for a number two. B)

snowdog said:
    No, you can't have Forum Admin rights, they're going to me. Obviously. Because I'm the only one here sane enough to handle the responsibility.

And if I don't get them soon Mr Zuckerberg is getting taken off my Christmas Card List and going right to the top of my Turd In A Box For Christmas List. So he'll be number one for a number two. B)

Just be careful, he might think it's a Christmas pudding.
    edited December 8
    RedRizla said:

Well he can still view the posts as a guest.

Hmm, so Cyber hasn't been able to log in to his account in a week, and is lurking on the outside? Reminds me of my first banning. Doesn't feel very lovely, does it, mister?!!

JK. Miss you, Cyber. <3
    WilliamVR said:
    RedRizla said:
    So is @WilliamVR the new Oculus staff member that brings use news and is able to resolve support tickets? I've seen a fair few people on here that have needed @cybereality help to look into support tickets..
    I'll be keeping an eye on things for now, and help where I can. Eventually, I'll empower some of our support agents to provide quick answers and advice via these forums. Stay tuned!

Any idea when that might be?