cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't install Software - Exiting with code 18

Taibot
Protege
Hello,

A few days ago everything worked fine and i was able to play with my Oculus Rift.
But today i had to reinstall the software and now i can't install it anymore.

I already turned of any software like antivir and my firewall and windows defender aswell.
Also i reinstalled my windows.

[Debug] [11.11.2018 16:41:44] Installing oculus-runtime.
[Error] [11.11.2018 16:41:46] Librarian exited code 18
[Debug] [11.11.2018 16:41:46] Install 'Dawn.Setup.InstallPackagesStep' failed.
[Warning] [11.11.2018 16:41:46] Rolling back installation.
[Debug] [11.11.2018 16:41:46] Uninstall 'Dawn.Setup.InstallPackagesStep' succeeded.

I hope this section from the log helps.
108 REPLIES 108

proutos
Explorer

Just got my rift 2 days ago, impossible to install the software. I got like 10 message with the support and nothing they make me tried work. Why the hell they dont go back to the previous version if that one sux? My cpu pass the test no problem but every time i download the program, it stop before reaching 4.5 Go. I close it and resume and impossible to install the program it ask me to restart my cpu. This is my last try today and if it doesnt work, i return it to Amazon!

Here is the text from support:

Hi Remi,

The link here includes a download for the Rift software as well as information about where to download the companion app for the Go. The Rift download is on the left-hand side of the page.

I have a personal Oculus Rift (and we also have one here at the office), and I have downloaded and installed the software several times without difficulty. After one update a few weeks ago, I did have some issues but was able to fix them by doing a manual uninstall just as Martin described.

The current version of the Oculus software is 1.32. However, we are testing a beta version, 1.33, in the Public Test Channel. You could try enrolling in that and see if 1.33 works better for you.

Thanks for the new setup log. I'm still seeing some files being re-used; did you make sure to remove any Oculus files from C:\OculusSetup-DownloadCache ?

If so, please check that your network connection is strong and reliable. If you can try a different network, please do and see if that works better. If not, it would be helpful to look at the Windows Event logs.

I will wait to hear from you.

Elspeth
Oculus Support

Remin 7

Nov 29, 5:42 PM PST

forgot that one

Remi Nadeau
2550 ST-Georges
Quebec, Quebec
G1E 4B8
418-660-1118

Envoyé : 29 novembre 2018 20:03
À : Remin 7
Objet : [Oculus Support] Re: IMPOSSIBLE TO INSTALL THE LOGICIEL

Attachment(s)
OculusSetup.log

Remin 7

Nov 29, 5:42 PM PST

Like always, it stop and need to close and restart the download to see the installation fail and restart cpu window

Remi Nadeau
2550 ST-Georges
Quebec, Quebec
G1E 4B8
418-660-1118

Attachment(s)
event.evtx
system.evtx

Remin 7

Nov 29, 5:30 PM PST

Maybe it was uncommon but now, it is common. Have you try to download the game file from your site? It ALWAYS stop before the end, alway at 100%. I asked 2 friends to test and they have the EXACT same problem.
2- the link you gave me to download is for the oculus go and not the rift. I know where to take the rift. My last option will be to download it from somewhere else. What is the version of the program right now?
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.google.ca_search-3Fsource-3Dhp-26ei-3DY4QAX...

Remi Nadeau
2550 ST-Georges
Quebec, Quebec
G1E 4B8
418-660-1118

Elspeth (Oculus Support)

Nov 29, 5:03 PM PST

Hi Remi,

I realize this is a frustrating situation, but problems like this are pretty uncommon. We can try a few more things to get this working for you.

Could you also check C:\OculusSetup-DownloadCache and remove any Oculus files from there, then try the installation again?

If that does not help, please gather a new setup log so I can see the latest state of your system. As well, could you gather and send the Windows Event logs by following these steps:

1. Click the Windows start menu
  2. Type Event Viewer then press enter.
  3. Once it opens, click the > next to Windows Logs
  4. Click Application
  5. On the right side panel, click Save all Events As.. and save it.
  6. Next, click System
  7. On the right side panel, click Save all Events As.. and save it.

I will look for your reply.

Elspeth
Oculus Support

Remin 7

Nov 29, 4:15 PM PST

Oh and btw, i cant use control panel to uninstall the program because the program have never been installed so it is not there.

Remi Nadeau
2550 ST-Georges
Quebec, Quebec
G1E 4B8
418-660-1118

Envoyé : 29 novembre 2018 19:04

Remin 7

Nov 29, 4:11 PM PST

Everytime i download the file, it stop before reaching 4.75. EVERYTIME and i downloaded it like 8-9 times and this is also a problem with almost all users now. Look at the unnoficial forums. There is a serious problem. I uninstalled everything he told me. there was nothing in users but local. Nothing in LocalLow and Roaming.

Remi Nadeau
2550 ST-Georges
Quebec, Quebec
G1E 4B8
418-660-1118

Envoyé : 29 novembre 2018 19:04

Elspeth (Oculus Support)

Nov 29, 4:04 PM PST

Hi Remi,

Thanks for the screenshot. There shouldn't be any difficulty installing to the C: drive since it is a basic partition.

There were some errors that suggested network problems while downloading the files. It's likely that some files got corrupted during the process, and repeated attempts to reinstall are re-using those old files.

It looks like some of those files are still being re-used, which means that not all the old files were manually removed by following the instructions that Martin provided.

Could I ask you to try again, and also check for any Oculus files that might be in other locations on your computer and remove them all? Then please download a fresh copy of the installer program and try the installation again.

Please let me know if this gets things working for you.

Best regards,

Elspeth
Oculus Support

Remin 7

Nov 29, 3:01 PM PST

Remi Nadeau
2550 ST-Georges
Quebec, Quebec
G1E 4B8
418-660-1118

Envoyé : 29 novembre 2018 17:56

Attachment(s)
1.jpg

Elspeth (Oculus Support)

Nov 29, 2:56 PM PST

Hello Remi,

I am following up on your conversation with Martin about problems installing the Oculus software.

We want to get things working properly for you. The logs you sent show some errors relating to the installation drives. Are they formatted to NTFS, with a basic partition? The software will not install properly on a dynamic partition.

If you're not sure, please send a screenshot showing your Disk Management menu. This can be opened in the Start menu, or you can open the Run window by pressing the Windows key and the R key at the same time, then type in disk management.

I will look for your reply.

Elspeth
Oculus Support

Remin 7

Nov 29, 2:05 PM PST

I have done EXACTLY what you wrote and EXACT same result, it doesnt work an error and i need to restart the cpu. There is a LOT of peoples with the same problem. I dont understand what Facebook is waiting for to correct the problem!

Remi Nadeau
2550 ST-Georges
Quebec, Quebec
G1E 4B8
418-660-1118

Envoyé : 29 novembre 2018 13:04

Martin (Oculus Support)

Nov 29, 10:04 AM PST

Hey Remi,

Thank you for the quick reply.

I'd like you to manually uninstall and then reinstall Oculus Home. Please follow these steps to do so:

1. Disconnect the computer from the internet.
  2. Back up necessary content, click here for the instructions.
  3. Reboot the computer into Safe mode.
  4. Uninstall Oculus Home using the control panel.
  5. Delete all Oculus folders from C:\Program Files
  6. Remove any Oculus folders from here:
    • C:\Users\ClientMD\AppData
    • C:\Users\ClientMD\AppData\Local
    • C:\Users\ClientMD\AppData\LocalLow
    • C:\Users\ClientMD\AppData\Roaming
  7. Restart the computer into Normal mode.
  8. Reconnect to the internet.
  9. Reinstall the Oculus Home.

Please note that this will affect your eligibility for refunds on any software purchased within the last 14 days.

After manually uninstalling Oculus please click here for the instructions on downloading the newest version of Oculus Home. I would also recommend that you run the installation as an administrator.

Please let me know how it works out for you.

Kind regards,

Martin
Oculus Support

Remin 7

Nov 28, 6:50 PM PST

Here are all the file you asked me for

Remi Nadeau
2550 ST-Georges
Quebec, Quebec
G1E 4B8
418-660-1118

Envoyé : 28 novembre 2018 20:55

Attachment(s)
Sans titre.png
OculusCompatibilityResults.html
OculusSetup.log

Martin (Oculus Support)

Nov 28, 5:55 PM PST

Hello Remi,

Thank you for reaching out to us today.

I understand there is an issue to install Oculus app on your computer.

Are you using a desktop or laptop? Can you attach a screenshot of the error message for us to review? Please click here to run the Compatibility Tool and provide us a result page.

To ensure that your antivirus software isn't causing any conflicts, please update the antivirus software and add Oculus as a trusted program. If you are using McAfee antivirus, could you try turning off "Real-Time Scanning" setting on it?

Please provide us with Oculus Setup Log so we can investigate into your issue:

1. Open the run window (Windows Key + R)
  2. Enter and run : %LOCALAPPDATA%\Oculus\
  3. Locate the "OculusSetup.log" and attach it to your email

I look forward for your reply.

Regards,

Martin
Oculus Support

Taibot
Protege

Hi Remi,

The link here includes a download for the Rift software as well as information about where to download the companion app for the Go. The Rift download is on the left-hand side of the page.

I have a personal Oculus Rift (and we also have one here at the office), and I have downloaded and installed the software several times without difficulty. After one update a few weeks ago, I did have some issues but was able to fix them by doing a manual uninstall just as Martin described.

The current version of the Oculus software is 1.32. However, we are testing a beta version, 1.33, in the Public Test Channel. You could try enrolling in that and see if 1.33 works better for you.

Thanks for the new setup log. I'm still seeing some files being re-used; did you make sure to remove any Oculus files from C:\OculusSetup-DownloadCache ?

If so, please check that your network connection is strong and reliable. If you can try a different network, please do and see if that works better. If not, it would be helpful to look at the Windows Event logs.

I will wait to hear from you.

Elspeth
Oculus Support

At least they have referred to your answers

With me they have only tried their standard solutions and when all did not work, they said that I probably can not play with the cpu anymore...

traumelot
Explorer

Hi Taibot,

There was previously a work around that some customers were using to install the Oculus software using a saved version of our older installer. We do not support this, and since the Oculus software has updated this is no longer working.

I do understand the inconvenience that this causes, however as we are not able to resolve this through regular troubleshooting as the computer is not capable of running the Oculus Rift with a CPU that falls under the minimum requirements to run the Oculus Rift.

Respectfully,

Chrissy
Oculus Support

Well, then Facebook/Oculus should be resolving this through irregular troubleshooting - namely providing us a method to install the previous software version, and to prevent future updates until we own a newer processor. We should not be bullied into buying things.

Anonymous
Not applicable
I use Xeon Quad Duo 3GHz and the OculusSetupSSEBypass worked fine before last month when I did a System Restore. It is highly wrong for a Supplier to alter our property without notification. It has cost me about 10 days of trying new OS installs to start all over. That is a kick in the teeth to customers of the Rift and for their Software Games/Apps!
I really needed my Workstation to operate all PCIe cards I run plus all the drives and USB connections. Trying to find a replacement now means having to split it on 2 PCs. I detest this a lot!

I tried Safe Mode with Networking and it does install the files into OculusSetup-DownloadCache Folder but zipped. What would get this to work I wonder from this? Interesting that they wanted you to delete it's contents!
Do we need another consumer HACK? Oculus could simply let us run our own systems and add a remove compatibility message too!!! I and we feel bullied to be a throw-away society and that makes me really sick!!!

joey.carlini
Honored Guest
If the Oculus Home software itself will not run with incompatible hardware, could we try renaming the processor in the registry to see if we can fool the Home Software?

Taibot
Protege

If the Oculus Home software itself will not run with incompatible hardware, could we try renaming the processor in the registry to see if we can fool the Home Software?

Nope i've tried already

mm0zct
Protege
Judging from the error I had before I tried to "repair" (which actually uninstalled all of my games...), and trying to install again now, I'm guessing the Librarian service now depends on some new instructions, or there's something else it doesn't like about my PC.

Everything was fine 2 weeks ago, I go to run it today, and bam, everything in this thread.

While it was installed I got the "Oculus may be updating" problem, but looking at the windows services it was the librarian service which instantly reverted to "stopped" if I tried to start it.

Now doing the setup the error is:

[Debug] [04/12/2018 21:42:27] Installing oculus-runtime.
[Error] [04/12/2018 21:42:28] Librarian exited code 18
[Debug] [04/12/2018 21:42:28] Install 'Dawn.Setup.InstallPackagesStep' failed.

I've been running my Phenom 1055T with Oculus happily since the Kickstarter, so yes I know it's a bit long in the tooth, but with it's 6 cores, 8GB of RAM and an Nvidia 1060 (6GB) everything was great! I had no real incentive or desire to invest in a new processor RAM, and motherboard at the moment, especially not just for the sake of Facebook/Oculus's whim to disable the runtime on my PC.

Why, if everything could work happily for over 2 years, did it have to just break now (right before Christmas too...)? Why couldn't we just be left with the old runtime? The new "home" even worked fine.

If anyone has figured out any ideas, or Oculus support would like to chime in with an "oops we've fixed it" I would love to hear it. I would try running the installer with the SDE but I think I'd e back in the original situation.

Jake_Dragon
Adventurer
[Warning] [04/12/2018 21:43:26] Exception deleting 'C:\Users\the_c\AppData\Local\Temp\OculusSetup-930876a6-9a38-4532-a33d-6d84a509a1d6':
System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path 'libeay32.dll' is denied.
   at System.IO.Directory.DeleteHelper(String fullPath, String userPath, Boolean recursive, Boolean throwOnTopLevelDirectoryNotFound, WIN32_FIND_DATA& data)
   at System.IO.Directory.Delete(String fullPath, String userPath, Boolean recursive, Boolean checkHost)
   at Dawn.Mixins.ReallyDeleteDirectory(String path)
[Debug] [04/12/2018 21:43:26] Scheduling delete of 'C:\Users\the_c\AppData\Local\Temp\OculusSetup-930876a6-9a38-4532-a33d-6d84a509a1d6' on next reboot.
[Debug] [04/12/2018 21:43:26] Exiting with code 1.

Try this, boot your PC into safe mode and in the run box type this and open the temp folder.
%temp%
Delete everything in the temp folder and reboot the machine and try the install again.
also make sure that the C:\OculusSetup-DownloadCache folder is deleted.
Something is locking the files so it is not able to clean up after itself.

Temp files are bad 🙂 they are not cleaned up when they should be. You can safely remove them this way. 
There may be some files that are in use but for most of them just delete them and ignore the ones it wont let you remove.
If you have any problems removing the Oculus setup files post back as there is something else going on.
You can also use Disk Clean up 

Disk Cleanup (cleanmgr.exe) is a computer maintenance utility included in Microsoft Windows designed to free up disk space on a computer's hard drive. The utility first searches and analyzes the hard drive for files that are no longer of any use, and then removes the unnecessary files.

Anonymous
Not applicable
So you're suggesting we try this after the failed Install right but for me nothing is installed at all except if I try to install via SafeMode (AV=OFF) and it simply produces the files in hidden AppData and creates that folder C:\OculusSetup-DownloadCache which I never see if trying Normal Mode.
Perhaps it only needs Hidden Admin made viewable at Login. I'll try after a month's break away.

Jake_Dragon
Adventurer

MAC_MAN86 said:

So you're suggesting we try this after the failed Install right but for me nothing is installed at all except if I try to install via SafeMode (AV=OFF) and it simply produces the files in hidden AppData and creates that folder C:\OculusSetup-DownloadCache which I never see if trying Normal Mode.
Perhaps it only needs Hidden Admin made viewable at Login. I'll try after a month's break away.

Yes I would suggest you clear any and all temp files before trying to do the install again.
Any time you have a failed install it could leave temp files that are corrupt and could be the issue that caused it to not install in the first place.  
Its a good idea to keep an eye on temp files and clean them up after any install just to be safe. Future installs can find the existing temp files and try to use them instead of downloading the most current files. 
I have been in IT for a while and have seen temp files cause issues, worse case I have seen is the hard drive was low on space and there were gb of temp files not being used and just taking up space.
Good luck I hope it works out for you.