cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

So, I bought an XBox One

MowTin
Expert Trustee
I'm looking to switch my 1080p projector to a 4k projector. I needed a 4k Bluray player. PS4 failed to deliver this so I replaced by old PS3 with an XBox One X. Only choice if you're a Home Theater enthusiast.

So, why do I bring this up in a VR forum? Well, I decided to play some Call of Duty Advanced Warfare. It looked great on my massive 133" screen and all but...moving around a controller to aim? Pancake console gaming just feels so primitive now after getting used to holding guns in your hands and pointing and shooting. I can never go back to fiddling around with a thumbstick. 

First person shooters in 2D are totally dead to me now. But third person games (I bought Red Dead Redemption 2) still feel good. 

But of course, flat games have so much more content than most VR games. I can't wait for the day when ports are more common and we have full AAA VR games.

Has VR affected your ability to enjoy certain 2D games you used to enjoy? I'm always thinking, "Boy I wish this were in VR." 
i7 9700k 3090 rtx   CV1, Rift-S, Index, G2
23 REPLIES 23

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
@SkScotchegg - I'm so glad I got my Projector and I think some people underestimate them. Watching a film on my Projectors 100 inch screen is something else. Now if I try to watch a film on my Tv, it's like watching it on a mobile phone. I used to think Projectors were a gimmick, but I would never be without one now.

I also agree that the 4k ones aren't worth it, but some are only enhanced 4k Projectors and not proper 4k ones. I'm pleased to see some of the 4k ones still have 3D though, because I'd hate it if they got rid of 3D on Projectors. The 3D on a Projector is on a par with VR Imo.  

MowTin
Expert Trustee

Mate I would highly recommend you don't go 4k for projectors, a lot of people including me can't tell the difference and I'm afraid you will make this purchase and then regret it and feel you have wasted your money.

I would stick to 1080p for projector if I was you. 

And regarding games, I haven't been effected by that, I play Battlefield 5 on PC with keyboard and mouse and I love it, and I play Read Dead Redemption 2 and Spiderman on PS4 and love that too. 

And of course VR is amazing but it hasn't taken anything away from standard 2D gaming for me personally. I enjoy gaming on all platforms.

One thing I did notice, after playing Fifa on my projector for past 5 years, when I tried to play it on my PC monitor which is 35" I couldn't play it, it just didn't feel right, it felt too small, but this is an exception, Fifa is the only game I have to play on a massive projector screen over 120". Everything else I'm happy to play on my 35" monitor or my 55" 4k TV.

Well, 1080p looks great on my 133" screen except for some long shots and dark scenes. For example, "The Hateful Eight" was shot in Ultra Panavision 2.76:1 aspect ratio. So it's only using about half the 1080p veritically. It looks blurry at times. 

Also, in Kill Bill the sword fight in the snow and dark. The long shots don't look crisp @1080p and 133". 

I guess I'll go check out 4K at Best Buy before I buy. 

Were you disappointed by your 4K projector? 
i7 9700k 3090 rtx   CV1, Rift-S, Index, G2

SkScotchegg
Expert Trustee

MowTin said:

I guess I'll go check out 4K at Best Buy before I buy. 

Were you disappointed by your 4K projector? 

Not me personally mate, I only have an Optima 1080p 3D DLP projector and I love it, I've had it 5 years now. I was thinking of upgrading to 4k but after reading the reviews on AVforums which is the hard core forums for all things projector, a lot of the users on their that have gone 4k have said they were greatly disappointing and didn't notice much difference if any at all.

For me personally when I watch a blueray on my 1080p projector the quality is perfect and I've never really watched something and thought this could be better. 

And I agree with you that 3D is amazing on projectors at home, I showed my parents Avatar in 3D and my mum was like "why is there flys in your room?" and I was like, "mum, that's the film, they're in a jungle scene so the plants and insects are coming out the screen" to which she replied "wow this looks amazing!!".

I really liked Titanic in 3D also.
UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Rift CV1 & Rift S - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!

OmegaM4N
Expert Trustee
^^I have the Viewsonic 1080 3D DLP that is 4 years old, and it is fantastic on my 110in screen, and you are right about 4k, at this time  it is way too costly for a 4k projector, 1080p projectors still have a good few years left before 4k comes down to a price that makes them more popular and we see more competition bring their prices down and with more features. 😉
CV1/Vive-knuckles)/Dell Vr Visor/Go/Quest II/ PSVR.