cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Post your Skyrim VR reviews and impressions and discussion here.

LZoltowski
Champion
rmbxnynm6ib6.jpg

Hello all, the big one is launching very soon. Rather than having a billion threads on it, lets all share and discuss in this thread to help others make an informed purchase!

Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂
1,137 REPLIES 1,137

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee
Well, I got my first problem already last night - I tried to start a second instance of MO2 for Skyrim SE and now I can't get back to the VR version (in MO2).

I'll have a play around later, see what I can coax out of it.

I used to have a cast iron stomach, too, but with the nerve damage and the amount of hefty meds I'm on (without which I can't do anything) it all went pear-shaped. I first found out when I went on a simple fairground ride in 1997, having had no issues ever with anything and within minutes I was throwing up all over the joint. Now it's just a suck it and see approach to everything.

i5 9600k @4.5GHz; 16GB DDR4 3200; 6xSSD; RTX2080ti; Gigabyte Z390D Mobo
Rift CV1; Index; Quest; Quest 2

Luciferous
Consultant
That is a shame, I know on the rare occasion I have felt ill, it is something you cannot push through and takes a while to recover from.

You may want to check your fps in Skyrim (whilst outside) . It may be worth investing in a better graphics card if it is low, as mentioned before.

Personally I do not want to lose any of my mods. I have a 780TI and my fps can be bad at times depending on where I am in the game but luckily I am pretty good with motion sickness. I am trying to hold out as long as possible to get the best card when the new headset generation comes out.

I have though recently been tempted with upgrading to a 1080TI.

PhoenixSpyder
Rising Star

Brixmis said:

Well, I got my first problem already last night - I tried to start a second instance of MO2 for Skyrim SE and now I can't get back to the VR version (in MO2).

I'll have a play around later, see what I can coax out of it.

I used to have a cast iron stomach, too, but with the nerve damage and the amount of hefty meds I'm on (without which I can't do anything) it all went pear-shaped. I first found out when I went on a simple fairground ride in 1997, having had no issues ever with anything and within minutes I was throwing up all over the joint. Now it's just a suck it and see approach to everything.

Sounds like you may have accidentally used the same Profile for both installs. Make sure you always setup a different profile for each game. You can actually have different/multiple profiles for the same game if needed, to try out different mod combinations...etc

i7 8700k; 5ghz (water cooled), Asus Rog Strix Z370-E Gaming, Corsair 270R case, EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra, 32 GB Corsair Veng DDR4 2666 Ghz, Adata SX900 SSD, 1TB M.2 SSD, Adata Su800 SSD, Adata SU650 SSD, BarraCuda 2TB HD, Toshiba 3tB HD, Rift (dead), Rift S, Win 10 Pro 2004, Inateck KT4006 USB3.0

PhoenixSpyder
Rising Star

That is a shame, I know on the rare occasion I have felt ill, it is something you cannot push through and takes a while to recover from.

You may want to check your fps in Skyrim (whilst outside) . It may be worth investing in a better graphics card if it is low, as mentioned before.

Personally I do not want to lose any of my mods. I have a 780TI and my fps can be bad at times depending on where I am in the game but luckily I am pretty good with motion sickness. I am trying to hold out as long as possible to get the best card when the new headset generation comes out.

I have though recently been tempted with upgrading to a 1080TI.

Are you actually running a 780ti for VR? Didn't think it possible. Or is it a 980ti?

i7 8700k; 5ghz (water cooled), Asus Rog Strix Z370-E Gaming, Corsair 270R case, EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra, 32 GB Corsair Veng DDR4 2666 Ghz, Adata SX900 SSD, 1TB M.2 SSD, Adata Su800 SSD, Adata SU650 SSD, BarraCuda 2TB HD, Toshiba 3tB HD, Rift (dead), Rift S, Win 10 Pro 2004, Inateck KT4006 USB3.0

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee
Mine's a 1060 6GB. There will be no opportunity for me to upgrade for the foreseeable future. In 5 years my mortgage is finally paid off - maybe then. I only have a crappy pension as income.

A short while ago I was offered a used 1080 - but even used, it was well beyond what I could pay and was actually more than I have ever paid for a new card. Most I've paid was £300 for an XT1950XTX, not long before the 8800 came out. Did serve me well, though, for several years, until the fabulous and incredibly good value HD4870 came out. Was so much better than my 1950 and yet cost £100 less.

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee
Wow, guys, something very weird just happened with MO2.

I decided to have another look and try running two instances. It had basically ditched my SkyrimVR modding set-up and was now doing SkyrimSE instead. It showed the list of mods I'd had installed in VR as "archived". So, not wanting to waste space, I went and deleted the archive folder with all those mods in it (I checked that was all that was in it).

I then made a second instance of MO2, for SkyrimVR.

I still didn't know how to run a particuler one - SE or VR and there was only one version shown in the drop-down menu (where LOOT is as well). So I double-clicked on the desktop shortcut and Windows tells me that program is no longer at the stated location. I went to look, and MO2 has completely disappeared from my PC. I slowly checked all 6 installed hard drives and it's nowhere to be found! Gobsmacked. 😮

I don't mind starting from scratch with a fresh install of MO2, but wtf happened? Also, I'm hoping there won't be any dregs to mess up future efforts.

Edit: Look what I just found in appdata:

kjvtvgsws5ho.jpg

Both folders have full profiles in them. Think I'll simply reinstall MO2 and I'm sure it will find these (well I hope so, anyway). Wish me luck!

**after starting a new copy of MO2 portable, it's all working perfectly for both SE and VR versions :smiley:

PhoenixSpyder
Rising Star
That is very strange, glad you got it sorted. It's probably a bug.

PhoenixSpyder
Rising Star

Brixmis said:

Mine's a 1060 6GB. There will be no opportunity for me to upgrade for the foreseeable future. In 5 years my mortgage is finally paid off - maybe then. I only have a crappy pension as income.

A short while ago I was offered a used 1080 - but even used, it was well beyond what I could pay and was actually more than I have ever paid for a new card. Most I've paid was £300 for an XT1950XTX, not long before the 8800 came out. Did serve me well, though, for several years, until the fabulous and incredibly good value HD4870 came out. Was so much better than my 1950 and yet cost £100 less.

You should be okay with the 1060, but I would recommend minimizing your Skyrim VR mod count to about 40 or so to be safe (texture mods should be fine for you if you always choose the 2k version at most). You're nauseous feeling is most likely what I mentioned earlier...fps is varying to much...and you being much more sensitive to it now.

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee
I'll try and get an FPS counter up to give it a check in VR. My SE game is working very well - especially with all the mods.
Unfortunately, as I didn't know the key controls, I found myself twice jumping back to the last autosave, which was a bit frustrating, but I got a keyguide now, so I can set my gaming mouse profile up.

I started as an Elf this time - cos it said they are good archers. I did take a screenie of my character, but can't find it anywhere.

I seem to be left-handed in the game, but can't find where to change that. The game is also playing in a full screen window, and I don't seem to be able to change that either - I'll see what Google comes up with.

rh_galaxy
Heroic Explorer
Maybe I'm wanting too much, but I'm seeing small stutters/hickups during turning. I wan't to know if others are seeing the same... note that you must be a very observant person to see this...

It seems it's not a frame rate problem, have no frames lost and a lot of headroom with my 1080ti. Also there are never hickups while just looking around with my head and not moving the character with the thumbsticks.

What happens is that turning-movement (and maybe walking movement also, but that's not as noticeable) is not totally smooth, perhaps once every 1-3 sec while holding the thumbstick in a slow constant turn, there is a hickup, like it moves too much or too little during a single frame, then it gets smooth again, until the next hickup.

I'm using xbox controller, but it is the same with oculus touch.

This is annoying, and I'm just wondering if others are noticing the same thing, and I'm hoping for a fix. There was a bug before patch 1.4 that turning sometimes in some places was way worse than what I describe here, but maybe they didn't fix it entirely...

If you try a slow constant turn, do you notice any hickup?