cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Post your Skyrim VR reviews and impressions and discussion here.

LZoltowski
Champion
rmbxnynm6ib6.jpg

Hello all, the big one is launching very soon. Rather than having a billion threads on it, lets all share and discuss in this thread to help others make an informed purchase!

Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂
1,137 REPLIES 1,137

PhoenixSpyder
Rising Star

rh_galaxy said:

Maybe I'm wanting too much, but I'm seeing small stutters/hickups during turning. I wan't to know if others are seeing the same... note that you must be a very observant person to see this...

It seems it's not a frame rate problem, have no frames lost and a lot of headroom with my 1080ti. Also there are never hickups while just looking around with my head and not moving the character with the thumbsticks.

What happens is that turning-movement (and maybe walking movement also, but that's not as noticeable) is not totally smooth, perhaps once every 1-3 sec while holding the thumbstick in a slow constant turn, there is a hickup, like it moves too much or too little during a single frame, then it gets smooth again, until the next hickup.

I'm using xbox controller, but it is the same with oculus touch.

This is annoying, and I'm just wondering if others are noticing the same thing, and I'm hoping for a fix. There was a bug before patch 1.4 that turning sometimes in some places was way worse than what I describe here, but maybe they didn't fix it entirely...

If you try a slow constant turn, do you notice any hickup?

Are you playing with Steam VR with Skyrim VR? If so, I highly recommend getting OpenComposite for running Skyrim VR instead.

I switched to openComposite and my performance skyrocketed, without hickups or glitches.

i7 8700k; 5ghz (water cooled), Asus Rog Strix Z370-E Gaming, Corsair 270R case, EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra, 32 GB Corsair Veng DDR4 2666 Ghz, Adata SX900 SSD, 1TB M.2 SSD, Adata Su800 SSD, Adata SU650 SSD, BarraCuda 2TB HD, Toshiba 3tB HD, Rift (dead), Rift S, Win 10 Pro 2004, Inateck KT4006 USB3.0

Luciferous
Consultant

Are you actually running a 780ti for VR? Didn't think it possible. Or is it a 980ti?

Yeah seems to work fine, struggles a little when outside with Skyrim and Fallout VR. Still complexly playable though. I am due an upgrade though got this one when the Rift first came out. I am just was waiting for 2080TI price to come down a bit and a new headset to launch. 

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee
...and to win the lottery... 😛

I hadn't noticed any kind of stutter during turning (with Touch) but I'll keep an eye out for that now you mentioned it.

i5 9600k @4.5GHz; 16GB DDR4 3200; 6xSSD; RTX2080ti; Gigabyte Z390D Mobo
Rift CV1; Index; Quest; Quest 2

rh_galaxy
Heroic Explorer
I was running through steamvr. I have now switched to OpenComposite, and problem solved... Seems it was a performance issue anyway, but not indicated as frame drops on steamvr frame timing charts when i tried that. steamvr should really fix this, the nr one most important thing is to never have glitches like this (when it is not a hardware performance issue), but seems people are having far worse problem than this with current steamvr...

nrosko
Superstar

rh_galaxy said:

Maybe I'm wanting too much, but I'm seeing small stutters/hickups during turning. I wan't to know if others are seeing the same... note that you must be a very observant person to see this...

It seems it's not a frame rate problem, have no frames lost and a lot of headroom with my 1080ti. Also there are never hickups while just looking around with my head and not moving the character with the thumbsticks.

What happens is that turning-movement (and maybe walking movement also, but that's not as noticeable) is not totally smooth, perhaps once every 1-3 sec while holding the thumbstick in a slow constant turn, there is a hickup, like it moves too much or too little during a single frame, then it gets smooth again, until the next hickup.

This is annoying, and I'm just wondering if others are noticing the same thing, and I'm hoping for a fix. There was a bug before patch 1.4 that turning sometimes in some places was way worse than what I describe here, but maybe they didn't fix it entirely...

Are you playing with Steam VR with Skyrim VR? If so, I highly recommend getting OpenComposite for running Skyrim VR instead.

I switched to openComposite and my performance skyrocketed, without hickups or glitches.

Great tip. Just try it in DCS & il2 & seems to work ok. Not sure if there is a performance boost but got rid of those annoying steamVR loading screens that pop up in some games. Only was a bit confused about the openapi.dll when i dropped it  into the game folder il2 did not load but when i put the original back it loaded but without steam vr. So this has me confused if it's actually necessary. 

PhoenixSpyder
Rising Star

nrosko said:

rh_galaxy said:

Great tip. Just try it in DCS & il2 & seems to work ok. Not sure if there is a performance boost but got rid of those annoying steamVR loading screens that pop up in some games. Only was a bit confused about the openapi.dll when i dropped it  into the game folder il2 did not load but when i put the original back it loaded but without steam vr. So this has me confused if it's actually necessary. 

Good to know. You should post your issue on Reddit page for OpenComposite so the Dev can look into it.

i7 8700k; 5ghz (water cooled), Asus Rog Strix Z370-E Gaming, Corsair 270R case, EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra, 32 GB Corsair Veng DDR4 2666 Ghz, Adata SX900 SSD, 1TB M.2 SSD, Adata Su800 SSD, Adata SU650 SSD, BarraCuda 2TB HD, Toshiba 3tB HD, Rift (dead), Rift S, Win 10 Pro 2004, Inateck KT4006 USB3.0

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee
Do you have IL-2 from Steam? I have the one from 1C store page and it uses SteamVR anyway, independantly of Steam. I'd like to be able to cut that out so I downloaded OpenComposite, too. I'll try it in the week (been fiddling with admin stuff all weekend and it's time to do some gaming, dammit!).

i5 9600k @4.5GHz; 16GB DDR4 3200; 6xSSD; RTX2080ti; Gigabyte Z390D Mobo
Rift CV1; Index; Quest; Quest 2

nrosko
Superstar
Yes I have the steam version. DCS is not steam version though & that uses steamvr regardless so this little app fixes that. 

rh_galaxy
Heroic Explorer
nrosko said:

It should be named openvr_api.dll, and you have to try both 64 and 32 bit versions if it doesn't work/start with the first. Maybe that is why it failed but have no idea how it could work any differently with the original put back, you sure you didn't mix up the files?

PhoenixSpyder
Rising Star

rh_galaxy said:

nrosko said:

It should be named openvr_api.dll, and you have to try both 64 and 32 bit versions if it doesn't work/start with the first. Maybe that is why it failed but have no idea how it could work any differently with the original put back, you sure you didn't mix up the files?

What I do with my original and modded openvr_api.dll is add (backup) (with brackets) to the file name of the original. If I need to go back to the original then I instead just add backup (without brackets) to the modded version so I know the difference. Also, if you hover over the original with your mouse it will show you 'Company: Valve' in the details while the modded one doesn't show any company info. That way you will know what is the original and what is the modded one.

Hope this helps!!