cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Post your Skyrim VR reviews and impressions and discussion here.

LZoltowski
Champion
rmbxnynm6ib6.jpg

Hello all, the big one is launching very soon. Rather than having a billion threads on it, lets all share and discuss in this thread to help others make an informed purchase!

Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂
1,137 REPLIES 1,137

nrosko
Superstar

rh_galaxy said:

nrosko said:

Great tip. Just try it in DCS & il2 & seems to work ok. Not sure if there is a performance boost but got rid of those annoying steamVR loading screens that pop up in some games. Only was a bit confused about the openapi.dll when i dropped it  into the game folder il2 did not load but when i put the original back it loaded but without steam vr. So this has me confused if it's actually necessary. 

It should be named openvr_api.dll, and you have to try both 64 and 32 bit versions if it doesn't work/start with the first. Maybe that is why it failed but have no idea how it could work any differently with the original put back, you sure you didn't mix up the files?

Yep i'm sure. I think actually you don't need to drop those files in at all if you run the app. I'm going to try it with raceroom. 

loki1944
Honored Guest
Worst thing I have ever played. Beyond the cruddy graphics, the movement is bad, the bugs are worse with the clipping, and the inventory is a straight up nightmare. Another VR dud.

PhoenixSpyder
Rising Star
You need to mod it to get it looking, playing great. Out of box vanilla version is not that pleasant.

i7 8700k; 5ghz (water cooled), Asus Rog Strix Z370-E Gaming, Corsair 270R case, EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra, 32 GB Corsair Veng DDR4 2666 Ghz, Adata SX900 SSD, 1TB M.2 SSD, Adata Su800 SSD, Adata SU650 SSD, BarraCuda 2TB HD, Toshiba 3tB HD, Rift (dead), Rift S, Win 10 Pro 2004, Inateck KT4006 USB3.0

Jake_Dragon
Adventurer

loki1944 said:

Worst thing I have ever played. Beyond the cruddy graphics, the movement is bad, the bugs are worse with the clipping, and the inventory is a straight up nightmare. Another VR dud.

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition

Luciferous
Consultant

loki1944 said:

Yeah that's what I thought when I first played the vanilla version. In the wagon on the way to get my head chopped off, I thought 'boy you is ugly'. I had Fallout 4 VR first and that was pretty slick looking out of the box and so was a bit of a shock. I thought there is no way I can play this.

Then I modded it and it was brilliant. The controls though just need getting used to. I think they are not that bad actually after a bit of practice.

So if you bought it, don't give up so soon. It really is worth a little effort to mod it.

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee
I've just taken over Fort Barrow. Is there any way I can make this mine now? I suppose I'd need followers to help me defend it?

I'm still really struggling for storage space - mostly because I'm carrying heavy, steel weapons and good armour. I've had to ditch all the stuff I wanted to sell. I've used a large chest in the fort to store a lot of stuff, so I'm hoping that can't be stolen or otherwise disappear. I am using the pouches etc mod, but when at the blacksmith's forge despite seeming to have the right materials the option to make them doesn't appear.

Two things are bugging me:

1- Do I need to look after my horse? I brought him into the fort and tried to leave him in the stables, where there was water available in a trough - but I couldn't dismount there, so left him next to it instead.

2- I'm having issues reading books. Most of them just lift up into the air - it can be a real pain getting them to actually appear in front of me in reading fashion.

On the positive side, I just had a good half hour session with no sickness. I think that is now the best way to play this in VR - half an hour(ish) at a time.

i5 9600k @4.5GHz; 16GB DDR4 3200; 6xSSD; RTX2080ti; Gigabyte Z390D Mobo
Rift CV1; Index; Quest; Quest 2

Luciferous
Consultant
1. Unlike red dead II you don't need to look after your horse.
2. Reading books should have a different option (button) when you hover over them for reading instead of picking up.
3. You wont need to defend the barrow. Once you killed it's occupant(s) it's all yours. Although you may get wandering creatures on the outside attacking.
4. You will probably need a mod that lets you set up home anywhere rather than just the original homes you have to purchase.
5. Nobody except you ever looks in chests so everything is safe and items do not disappear.

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee
1-5 thanks very much! 🙂

oh, forgot - I do get the option to read, but it just picks the books up like any other object. If I spam the A button and wobble the book around - throw it up and catch it again, it will sometimes go to read mode. Otherwise I just have to leave them.
Doesn't happen with every book - but does with most of them.

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee
Hey! I found a mod for @snowdog  😄

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/12556

Look at the screenshots!

PhoenixSpyder
Rising Star

Brixmis said:

Hey! I found a mod for @snowdog  😄

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/12556

Look at the screenshots!

LOL...just be aware, mods from original Skyrim may not work with Skyrim SE or Skyrim VR...unless they are ported over.

i7 8700k; 5ghz (water cooled), Asus Rog Strix Z370-E Gaming, Corsair 270R case, EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra, 32 GB Corsair Veng DDR4 2666 Ghz, Adata SX900 SSD, 1TB M.2 SSD, Adata Su800 SSD, Adata SU650 SSD, BarraCuda 2TB HD, Toshiba 3tB HD, Rift (dead), Rift S, Win 10 Pro 2004, Inateck KT4006 USB3.0