cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No Web VR for Rift?

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee
I've been looking at the Mozilla and Firefox statements and reviews and so-on, about using a VR based browser. But despite many mentions of Oculus Rift, when I get to their own websites and recent posts, all I find is "Oculus" ready - and in the downloads it only has a download for Go.

This seems unbelievable to me. I've been a long-time Firefox and Mozilla supporter, for email and browsing (using Waterfox for general browsing and Firefox for everything else) since the late 90's, and I find it incredible that this browser isn't supported for use on the flagship Oculus product. In fact, if this turns out to be the long-term approach, I can see me ditching them.

i5 9600k @4.5GHz; 16GB DDR4 3200; 6xSSD; RTX2080ti; Gigabyte Z390D Mobo
Rift CV1; Index; Quest; Quest 2
8 REPLIES 8

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee
ermmm? OK, but what has that to do with my point?

i5 9600k @4.5GHz; 16GB DDR4 3200; 6xSSD; RTX2080ti; Gigabyte Z390D Mobo
Rift CV1; Index; Quest; Quest 2

Chazmeister
Rising Star
Nothing, "he" just copied and pasted it from here https://medium.com/scapic/webvr-is-still-not-easy-what-if-we-could-change-that-a1c1b5afd1ea. The other post from this account is utterly meaningless too. Spam bot trying to build up a post count? Or something like that anyway.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hey there,
While there are no Web VR "application" for the Rift, you can watch every VR content on the net with your Rift. You just have to launch them from the normal version of the browser.
Just try this: take any VR content on the web (a 360 video on YouTube, for example). Plug your Rift in the computer and play the 360 video, in VR mode. The video will launch in your headset.

You can also use the Oculus Dash function called Oculus Desktop to browse normally, and launch any VR content with it.

Basically, Web VR content is compatible with the Oculus Rift (and other PC VR headsets). It has no specific application, but it doesk work with the Rift.

Nekto2
Superstar
You could use Firefox or Chrome to view WebVR.
If it is off by default, then you could turn it On in Firefox "about:config", search for "vr".
And do not forget to turn On "third party applications" in Rift settings. Then start Firefox and you will see it in list of your Rift library applications.

jjj_programmer
Explorer
I've tried to enable every VR setting, but I can't get it to actually display on the rift.  It used to work, before Core update 2.0.  But, now it never switches from my home display to the webvr content.  The display on my monitor moves around when I move the headset, so the VR tracking is getting into Firefox.  But, what to display isn't getting to the headset, at least not in a VR version.  I can show my desktop, but that isn't fullscreen 3d, just a panel on my home, not what I want.

LynneHand
Honored Guest

I've tried to enable every VR setting, but I can't get it to actually display on the rift.  It used to work, before Core update 2.0.  But, now it never switches from my home display to the webvr content.  The display on my monitor moves around when I move the headset, so the VR tracking is getting into Firefox.  But, what to display isn't getting to the headset, at least not in a VR version.  I can show my desktop, but that isn't fullscreen 3d, just a panel on my home, not what I want.

Same thing is happening to me. I even installed the beta Nightly version. Still no go.  Did anyone figure out a fix for this?

CameraTricks
Protege
I've had very little luck getting WebVR to work properly also. I've tried to get it going using Chrome, Firefox, and Edge. I got it working once or twice but then it stopped again. I gave up in frustration.

walrusmcd
Honored Guest
same. i can't get webVR working from chrome (build 88+) on the rift.   anyone solved this ?