cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm considering buying my first sailboat, help/advice appreciated from experienced sailors!

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Got an offer from a seller today - maybe not the best offer ever, but still... The offer stands for only a few more hours. So has anyone got some experience with such boats? Is it worth it? Is sailing fun?

My focus is simply to relax and get some sun  o:) (turning up a nearby radiator and using a large fan to create warm Caribbean winds should do the trick  B) )

Thanks in advance!

BTW, it's this boat:

https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/1958452074228276/?intern_source=blog&intern_content=releases...

https://youtu.be/kc7HZupsPb4

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

11 REPLIES 11

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Of course I couldn't dream of bumping this thread, instead I'd just like to share the first song on my playlist when I'm on the boat  o:)

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Compared to my usual preferences for action, being on a boat may seem somewhat boring. I'm considering contacting to devs and get them to implement new gaming modes - like the ability to do extremely stupid things, like shown in this trailer  😄

https://youtu.be/yYSFHaKmAFs

Then again, to really make it an awesome experience being on a boat, I think the devs need to work much more on putting exciting stuff in the water, like this  😉

https://youtu.be/udm5jUA-2bs

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
Are those films any good? As for sailing the boat, I think I'll give it a miss unless I can do some fishing. It might float someone's boat though 🙂

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

RedRizla said:

Are those films any good? As for sailing the boat, I think I'll give it a miss unless I can do some fishing. It might float someone's boat though 🙂

I'm waiting for the Meg Blu-ray 3D, over here it's available Dec 18, so I have to wait a few days more. Open Water 2 is 5.1 on IMDB, not sure it's worth seeing - although I really like the concept  >:)  The Meg is also just 5.8, but that movie's budget is more than 100 times Open Water 2 😉

I just bought Regatta. I thought it could be fun to expand my comfort zone, and maybe my 6-year-old son can have some fun sailing, unless the controls are way too complicated (which they probably are). Also Regatta requires 3 sensors - I thought that could be fun to test too. 

Yeah, it would be awesome if we at least can be allowed to sail into other boats and sink them!  😄

There's also this one - never tried it, maaaybe if it comes down to $10...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgomgO2aeOQ

Anonymous
Not applicable

RedRizla said:

The first one was excellent, didn't realise that they had done a sequel. I'm definitely going to check it out.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
My review from the Store, I awarded it 5/5 stars. Thus I was pleasantly surprised, the game/sim it quite polished:

"It really feels like sailing in your own sailboat, amazing! I played sitting in a couch, and sitting left or right affected the boat, like tilting to the left if I sat om the left side. I don't know why the devs recommend a GTX 1070, using a GTX 1080 I cranked up super sampling to 2.0 and never experienced less than 90 fps. Using a GTX 970 or better this sim may work perfectly even using high levels of super sampling! 
Textures are great, but with 8GB on my video card less pop-in would be appreciated. Also I found a killer whale floating in the air - getting more life in the sea would be much appreciate, right now there're some birds but no fish, dolphins and killer whales etc would be awesome. And the the ability to sail elsewhere, maybe in the arctic? 
Sound is great, love the voice in the tutorial, you really feel like being taught by an experienced supervisor. Touch controls work flawlessly, even kids should be able to steer the boat. 
I do feel that the polygon levels could be improved, maybe by fish in the sea, but maybe even more detailed surroundings (the robe on the boat looks too flat etc.) These are minor complaints, congrats to the devs for the best sailing sims on the Rift - it's an awesome experience!"

So that was like "been there, done that" 😄  but definitely a keeper in my collection. Like Ultrawings I think Regatta is nice for relaxing and stress reduction (in VR). And now I just bought Technolust - looking forward to try that experience tomorrow, downloading now  o:)

SkScotchegg
Expert Trustee
Posh git!

I hope you sink with the Titanic!! lol

jk mate, good luck :wink:
UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Rift CV1 & Rift S - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!

SkScotchegg
Expert Trustee
Posh git!

EDIT: So did you buy a boat yet? And I was thinking, perhaps you would need lessons first? I'm no expert but I believe there's quite a lot too it, and obviously you and your family need to stay safe mate. I've thought about getting a boat some day too.
UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Rift CV1 & Rift S - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

Posh git!

EDIT: So did you buy a boat yet? And I was thinking, perhaps you would need lessons first? I'm no expert but I believe there's quite a lot too it, and obviously you and your family need to stay safe mate. I've thought about getting a boat some day too.

I did buy the game - or is it an app? 😉 Love the physics, so yes, I just bought my own VR boat  B) - The boat is reacting to your weight like in the real world, so the boat will tilt to the right or left side in the water if you're placed starboard or port, alright - admitted - I know nothing about boats and just googled these terms :blush: 

Image result for direction boat

VR Regatta feels like a mix of a sim and a game - I'm not much into racing, for now I prefer just to sail more or less aimlessly and explore - it's quite relaxing. The world feels somewhat barren, would be great if the devs added more animal life, and maybe other sailing locations (right now I think there's just one location where you can sail freely and explore).