cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recurring Bricked Rift Headset Issue - No HDMI connection error

Metcaslix
Sightseer
Hey there. I was curious if anyone else has an issue like me. I'm running a GTX 1080.
Basically, I've owned the Rift since July. Since then, it has bricked three times. I will further elaborate what I mean.

The first headset, I had for about a month. Around the middle of August, the HDMI stopped being recognized by my graphics card. The USB was still recognized, and sound would play through the headset's headphones, and sound could be recorded from the headset's microphone. However, if I were to cover the sensor on the headset, the light would change from orange to nothing, instead of going to white. It would change back to orange when I would uncover the sensor.
I troubleshooted with Oculus through a support ticket. This had happened during a firmware update to the headset, so I believed that may have been the reason. We reinstalled my drivers via DDU/GeForce Experience, tried rolling back to certain drivers; no fix. Disabled power management to all USB ports; nothing. It was determined my headset was faulty, so I sent it back to them. Within 3 weeks, I got a refurbished unit.

It is now September, so I get to use the headset for about two months now. Then, at the end of October, the same problem occurs. This time, it doesn't happen for any update reason. No updates had recently occurred. My conclusion THIS time was that I left it plugged in AFK for too long (4-5 days, this was the longest I left it unused at one time with the PC running as well.)
After going through the same troubleshooting process, Oculus recommended I reinstall Windows. I was hesitant, so I brought the headset to a friend who also had a PC/Rift. We plugged my headset in... my headset's serial was there, USB was recognized; but SAME issue. HDMI was not recognized. He plugged his Rift back in and it worked no problem. So Oculus agreed to replace the headset again (THANKFULLY.)

I finally got the headset after a month (I took a while to ship it, then it got held a bit thanks to UPS). This was a week ago from today, basically.
It works like a charm, like the last replacement. This time, I elected to leave it unplugged whenever not used. I didn't mind connecting it prior to gaming, just having to wait a few mins for the thermo to kick up.
I played Subnautica for the first time (AMAZING IN VR) and gamed for three ~1.5-hour periods throughout the day yesterday. I unplugged it before bed. Plugged it in this morning... HDMI ERROR. New record. Not even three days of actual use!
I then went through my usual troubleshooting, to no avail!

Could my graphics card be killing Rifts?! lol I don't understand. Every other device I plug into my HDMI ports performs just fine, and shows no long-term "damage" or "wear" as a result. I understand the HMD is sensitive, but I didn't know it'd be this bad...
Everyone else I know hasn't run into this problem.

I have tried restarting my OVR service numerous times as well. No difference.
USB is recognized for the headset, but HDMI simply reports an "Error: No HDMI connection."
All physical connections were checked and reseated numerous times.

Here is my full PC build so you have a full image of what we're dealing with:

Motherboard - ASUS TUF X299 Mark 2 
CPU - Intel® Core™ i7-7800X Processor (6x 3.50GHz/8.25MB L3 Cache)
RAM - 16 GB [8 GB x2] DDR4-3000 G.SKILL Trident Z RGB Memory
Graphics - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 ASUS STRIX RGB 8GB
PSU - Thermaltake Toughpower Grand RGB 850W 80 PLUS Gold, Full Modular
Cooling - Corsair H60 Liquid Cooling, 3x [White] 120mm LED Case Fan
Storage - 256 GB ADATA SX6000 Series M.2 PCIe NVME SSD, 2 TB WD Black Hard Drive -- 64MB Cache, 7200RPM, 6.0Gb/s
2 REPLIES 2

Thmoas
Rising Star
Either you are unlucky or your gfx card is indeed killing the Rift or the connector. With my first Rift I also had HDMI connection issues, not the same though. The HMD would lose HDMI connection when touching/grabbing it in a specific way. After troubleshooting Oculus send me a replacement which had exactly the same issue. I send it in again and the 3rd one worked fine. I can believe some people are more unlucky then me and receive 3 bad ones in a row 😛 It just happens, it's a numbers game.

But it could also be your gfx card.

Metcaslix
Sightseer
Thanks Thmoas.
Yeah, perhaps. I'd love to believe it may be the headset at fault. However, given it's the exact same issue, and the fact that my headsets work fine AT FIRST... I can't help but conclude my PC is the common denominator, and thus the cause.
Worst part is, I don't want to perform any extensive troubleshooting now (like reformatting my PC) if this headset is already bricked. From my past experience, once it's bricked, I'm screwed until I get a replacement. Which will suck (but hey, since my warranty isn't even halfway done yet, I'm sure they'd probably send me ANOTHER, right?)