cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Talos Principle VR - the very best (or close) VR puzzle game?

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

One of my favorite games just arrived in the Oculus Store:

https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/1962004113896614

I already bought the game on Steam, so I haven't tried the new Oculus version. 

The game has gotten several amazing reviews, some examples:

2e913s3803mn.jpg

Some shots from the VR version:

ss_febd695bf452d610f7cc1d3bf2e3e224356d4a88.1920x1080.jpg

ss_112cb99cfeb947025a8b233ff69880334cefda78.1920x1080.jpg

ss_8fa626bc978994a8568c04d80845dcf428b4c414.1920x1080.jpg

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

21 REPLIES 21

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

Zenbane said:

Oculus already uses price cuts with the Rift itself at $350 compared to $500-$1000 for its competitors. Steam is simply using the one trick it has in its toolshed, prices on its digital store. Go spend $1000 on the Vive Pro and see if that $6 for this game makes your wallet feel better
😛

The Oculus Store always ends up putting titles on sale. We should know that by now after 2+ years. It would be foolish for Oculus to monitor Steam prices and follow their lead.

I'm sure Oculus does keep an eye on pricing in order to compete, which is why Oculus is doing so well in both the commercial and consumer market. What Oculus should not do, however, is let the competition dictate Oculus' roadmap for success. You don't become a Leader by being a Follower. Suggesting that Steam should lead and Oculus should follow when it comes to Software Pricing is silly.

Of course you could be right - I was more under the impression that it's the developers who decide on the price cuts, so I was just wondering why Croteam only would reduce the price on Steam and not the Oculus Store.

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
It can't really work that way. Think about the fact that Steam literally has hundreds of millions of games on its platform. Over 400 million have been bought and played to-date.

Do you really think that someone at Steam coordinates with hundreds of millions of Dev's and is like, "hey bruh's, putting your stuff on sale today. That aight?"

Nope. As a developer, you choose to upload your property to Steam. You give a price. And then Steam takes over from there.

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
I'm pretty sure that Steam developer partners can set pricing and discounts.  Not sure if this is the same with Oculus?
https://partner.steamgames.com/doc/store/pricing

i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
I didn't realize that this was an older game that was ported to VR. I haven't been following close enough. The vanilla version has been available on Steam for quite some time, so it makes sense that the VR port would get a price cut on that platform.

Dev's can set prices on Steam, including discounts, but this was something that Valve added several years ago. Valve is still able to control discounts themselves:
Curated
The following discount types are created and managed by Valve. When selecting titles to fill these front-page promotional slots, we try to be as fair as possible and select titles that we feel customers are most interested in and will result in the most happy customers. While there aren't strict rules, as a base guideline we tend to focus on the top 10-20% selling games on Steam that are well reviewed and have otherwise proven to be successful. If your title qualifies for an upcoming curated slot, we will contact you with details.

Daily Deal

These promotions run for 48 hours, starting at 10am Pacific time. Daily Deals are featured on the Steam homepage for 24 hours

Weekend Deal

Weekend Deals run from Thursday at 10AM Pacific time until Monday at 10AM Pacific time, and are featured on the Steam homepage during that time.

Midweek Madness

Midweek Madness promotions run from Tuesday at 10AM Pacific time to Friday at 10AM Pacific time. Midweek Madness deals are featured on the Steam homepage from Tuesday 10AM Pacific time to Thursday at 10AM Pacific time.

Seasonal Sales

There are several sale events per year, which you may have the chance to participate in. Some of these, like the Summer Sale or Winter Sale, are open to all partners. Some may be only open to products of a certain category, like Anime or VR. You will receive announcements about these events ahead of time, as well as instructions for submitting discounts for your products.

https://partner.steamgames.com/doc/marketing/discounts

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
So how does it work with Oculus?  Thanks
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

wbenjamin1966
Explorer
The Steam version works great with a Rift, provided you set the launch parameters properly.

The level puzzles can get a little tedious, but the ones for the stars are interesting.
I started the bonus game you get as well and so far it's similar but a little more involved to solve the puzzles.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

TomCgcmfc said:

So how does it work with Oculus?  Thanks

I'm pretty sure that the process is less sophisticated on OH compared to what Steam allows lol

Steam is quite a few years ahead of Oculus Home as a storefront.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Talos Principle - and more from Croteam - is on sale again:

https://store.steampowered.com/bundle/5145/CROTEAM_VR_Bundle/

85 % off is a great sale! 

ploog
Protege
Can anyone verify if the Oculus Store version of Talos Principle VR allows picking up a connector without losing the existing source/target links?  The Steam version was supposedly patched some time after Nov. 2017 to enable this feature via a "grip+trigger combo."

https://steamcommunity.com/app/552440/discussions/0/2381701715714022985/

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee

RuneSR2 said:

Talos Principle - and more from Croteam - is on sale again:

https://store.steampowered.com/bundle/5145/CROTEAM_VR_Bundle/

85 % off is a great sale! 

I bought it a few days ago, on Steam, for £2.24

tvz8u4cvftwz.jpg

so a bit of a saving on $40 (£31)  😉

i5 9600k @4.5GHz; 16GB DDR4 3200; 6xSSD; RTX2080ti; Gigabyte Z390D Mobo
Rift CV1; Index; Quest; Quest 2