Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rift not detected on Inspiron 15 7577

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello everyone, I have a Dell Inspiron 15 7577 and I recently bought an
Oculus Rift. After installing the Oculus app, it asks me to connect the
rift and the sensors but while the two sensors and the rift usb cable
get detected the HDMI doesn't. I tried updating the intel and nvidia gpu but nothing changed. Any
ideas?
5 REPLIES 5

RattyUK
Trustee
Does the laptop have hybrid graphics (Intel & Nvidia)?  It may be that the Intel chipset is connected directly to the HDMI port not the Nvidia.

If you have a MiniDP port on the laptop it may be worth getting an adaptor and trying that for the Rift as the DP should be connected to the Nvidia chipset.

ETA: You may also be able to set the Nvidia as primary chipset in the control panel, worth checking before you spend any money.
PC info: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - Sapphire 7900XTX - 32GB DDR4 4000 - 3 NVMe + 3SATA SSD - Quest 2 & 3

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi,
yes the laptop has Intel and Nvidia graphics but setting the Nvidia gpu as primary in the Nvidia control panel doesn't fix the problem. Unfortunately I don't have a miniDP, but I have a Thunderbolt 3 port so I was thinking about buying a Thunderbolt to HDMI converter but I don't know if that will fix it.

RattyUK
Trustee
Lilely to be an even better chance than MiniDP but you are in the VR & Laptop trap where VR Ready doesn't always mean Oculus ready.  I'd suggest trying the adaptor if you can live with the chance it doesn't fix it.
Not intentially negative, it is a bit of a minefield 🙂
PC info: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - Sapphire 7900XTX - 32GB DDR4 4000 - 3 NVMe + 3SATA SSD - Quest 2 & 3

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi,
I tried with the thunderbolt to HDMI but same thing...
I also read about somenome fixing it with a cheap powered HDMI splitter but that didn't work too.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi,
a couple of days ago I tried it again and now it turns on but without video and the HDMI is still undetected.

I attached a photo of the rift connected and one of the rift not connected so you can see the differences