cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wish Power Btn Turned off Rift & HDMI Both

xanderdavis
Honored Guest
Request:

Instead of turning the Rift off, I wish the power button turned the HDMI + Rift off. The reason for this is I have to unplug the HDMI cable to reset my screen res. I worry I'm wearing out the HDMI port or something. Unless there's a better way around that...

Hopefully this could be added via a firmware update via the USB connection?

I assume there's a reason it's currently set up like this-- if so, please share. Is it for a dual monitor type set-up, so you could work in the game engine at full res, then switch on the HMD to test quickly on the second monitor space (which is already live since the HDMI is already plugged in), then switch off to go back to working quickly... all while leaving the HDMI in? Just a theory; I've not tried that yet.
Remote Consulting to Clients Worldwide in UI / UX / VR: http://www.xanderdavis.com
5 REPLIES 5

xanderdavis
Honored Guest
On Mac, I can go up to the task bar and select Turn Off Display Mirroring / Turn On Display Mirroring to toggle, while having the HDMI always in. However, I'll always have a second screen space now though, which probably is fine and helpful for active development and testing in-editor.
Remote Consulting to Clients Worldwide in UI / UX / VR: http://www.xanderdavis.com

cybereality
Grand Champion
Can you give a little more info about your setup and what you are trying to accomplish?

Here at work I always have the Rift plugged in, and it doesn't seem to be a problem (w/ a large 30" screen and the Rift in extended desktop mode). At home I have a 1080P monitor and have the monitor and Rift duplicated with the same 1080P image. In both cases I do not have a need to turn the Rift off or unplug the HDMI cable.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

xanderdavis
Honored Guest
For your Rift, is the video feed left on all the time? I ask since you mention you don't turn it off.

For me, I'll turn the Rift HMD off out of a anxiety over not wanting to burn out the screen and then I'll have to unplug the HDMI to restore my monitor's correct resolution... unless I always have dual monitors on / mirroring off. Then I can turn off the Rift. Any time the Rift box is plugged in via HDMI, my iMac automatically adjusts its resolution, including in Windows 7 via BootCamp. So maybe it's different on Apple devices?

cybereality
Grand Champion
Yes. In my case the display of the Rift will be on all the time, but I haven't found this to be a problem. You can always press the power button on the control box if you feel better turning it off.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

xanderdavis
Honored Guest
Yep, that's what I do, but it leaves the screen resolution still at 1280x800 with the HDMI in. So that's why I was thinking having the power button also switch off the HDMI would be handy, so my computer resets to normal screen res without having to actually unplug the HDMI from the Rift box.

I currently get around this by letting my computer think it should pipe out a dual monitor signal with mirroring off, even though no display is actively showing it. That way I can turn off the Rift, but the HDMI is still kept plugged into the Rift box and my iMac's screen stays at default res (2560x1440)... the only downside is there's a second monitor space floating off to the side that I'm not using or even capable of perceiving unless I turn the Rift back on. In the Mac's task bar, I then toggle Mirroring back on to automatically switch my iMac's display back to 1280x800 to use the Rift then without fiddling with plugs.

So yeah, if just a button could handle this that'd be easier! 😛