New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Nvidia to release GTX 11 series cards?? Rumour...

PhoenixSpyderPhoenixSpyder Posts: 225
Nexus 6
Looks like Nvidia is going to release the GTX 11 series after all???

i7 8700k @ 5ghz, Asus Rog Strix Z370-E Gaming, MSI 1080ti Gaming X @ 2050Ghz + 11.4Ghz ram, 32 GB Corsair Veng DDR4 2666 Ghz, Adata SX900 SSD, 1TB M.2 SSD, Adata Su800 SSD, Adata SU650 SSD, BarraCuda 2TB HD, Oculus Rift, Odyssey Plus, Windows 10 Pro 1903
"Presently developing a VR project (outside of my profession) due to the lack of availability of what I would like to experience" Details in a year or two...

Comments

• RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 3,738 Valuable Player
    Looks like Nvidia is going to release the GTX 11 series after all???

That could be interesting - I'd love 2080 Ti performance for the same launch price as a GTX 1080 (or 1080 Ti), truth told I don't care much about ray tracing (with its current performance impact) but I'd love to get more performance in several current VR games. 

Also we need more performance per $, Nvidia maintaining 2016 prices for GTX 1080 (Ti) brings everything to a stand still - more GPU power per $  would mean that more users can adopt and enjoy PC VR. 
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
  • SkScotcheggSkScotchegg Posts: 1,241
    Wintermute
    Yeah I heard Nvidia lost billions recently? is this true?

I like my Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB and I run all my games in ultra settings and run VR just fine but I'll definitely upgrade my GPU for Rift 2 whenever that releases.

I just hope prices come down a lot. Regular people can't afford to spend £1000 on a GPU,.They must know that most regular people spend £200-£300 on a GPU and that's it.
    UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!
  • PhoenixSpyderPhoenixSpyder Posts: 225
    Nexus 6
    IMO, I think Nvidia is preparing to counter AMD's new releases of their cards for average gamers who don't want to spend a fortune on a card. I don't think they will release a GTX 11??ti to replace the 1080ti (anytime soon) as it would probably cannibalize RTX series high end cards. Looks to me like they are anticipating a large % of gamers not wanting/needing Raytracing (due to $$$) and addressing it accordingly with entry/mid level GTX cards.
    i7 8700k @ 5ghz, Asus Rog Strix Z370-E Gaming, MSI 1080ti Gaming X @ 2050Ghz + 11.4Ghz ram, 32 GB Corsair Veng DDR4 2666 Ghz, Adata SX900 SSD, 1TB M.2 SSD, Adata Su800 SSD, Adata SU650 SSD, BarraCuda 2TB HD, Oculus Rift, Odyssey Plus, Windows 10 Pro 1903
    "Presently developing a VR project (outside of my profession) due to the lack of availability of what I would like to experience" Details in a year or two...
  • JD-UKJD-UK Posts: 2,289 Valuable Player
    So are we thanking ATi/AMD yet again for bringing down the spiralling costs of decent graphics cards?

As they did with the HD4870 series. Wow - took a few years for that effect to wear off and I could certainly live with that again.

• snowdogsnowdog Posts: 7,113 Valuable Player
    The 4870 was awesome, particularly if you had the 2GB VRAM version.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
    Nexus 6
    It's always good to have competition, it keeps everything in check. Love em' or hate em' though, Nvidia has always been in my systems (apart from 3DFX...which Nvidia bought anyway)...though I did have an AMD cpu at one time...just can't remember when.
    It's always good to have competition, it keeps everything in check. Love em' or hate em' though, Nvidia has always been in my systems (apart from 3DFX...which Nvidia bought anyway)...though I did have an AMD cpu at one time...just can't remember when.

Probably some time in the 90s I would have thought for the AMD CPU, there was a period in the 90s where Intel CPUs were useless. During that time I saw a PC badge on sale at a Computer Fair that said 'Intel Inside Idiot Outside' lol :D :D :D
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Nexus 6
    snowdog said:

Probably some time in the 90s I would have thought for the AMD CPU, there was a period in the 90s where Intel CPUs were useless. During that time I saw a PC badge on sale at a Computer Fair that said 'Intel Inside Idiot Outside' lol :D :D :D

LOL...yes, that sounds about right!! :D :D
    edited December 2018
    I still remember my good ol' X800XT  :'(  I had the super-silent HIS Excalibur X800 XT IceQ II.

Actually that was my last AMD/ATI card, been with Nvidia ever since  o:) I really do hope AMD can perform some 7 nm magic soon - we really need a comeback, so I can upgrade to a less expensive high-end Nvidia cards soon   B)
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

• kojackkojack Posts: 5,625 Volunteer Moderator
    The Radeon 5870 was awesome for the time, introducing Eyefinity (ultrawide triple monitor gaming). I was playing games like Arkham Asylum at 5040 x 1050 (triple 22" monitors).

I'm running Threadripper on my current PC. Very cool (I actually do things that use all the threads).
  • Techy111Techy111 Posts: 6,494 Volunteer Moderator
    The HD5970 got me gently into VR with my dk2 but upgraded to a 980 OC quite quickly after peeps here telling me i needed more oompf.
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

Nexus 6
    edited December 2018
    Still have all my old cards from the past (except all my 3DFX cards)...including boxes. Here is a shot of my old 7800 GT from that era.

edited December 2018
    Still have all my old cards from the past (except all my 3DFX cards)...including boxes. Here is a shot of my old 7800 GT from that era.

Awesome - I still got my Gainward 7800GS+ card, it's a 7900GT in disguise - probably still the fastest AGP card on the planet  :D  

I still have a PC with 2 x Voodoo 2 in SLI - real Glide still works in dos (combined with Matrox Mill 2 AGP) + 200 Mhz Pentium + 64 MB ram + Creative Labs AWE32 sound card. I think I have a 3dfx Voodoo Graphics card in a box somewhere too. But I rarely use that machine - the 21" Trinitron monitor still works too. I have the original dos glide Tomb Raider + Doom 1-2 (dos) + Descent 2 (dos glide) + System Shock (CDrom-version) + Bioforge + Day of the Tentacle and much more still working like they were made originally (21" is a bit large for 320x200 though). 

Suddenly I got the feeling I lost my focus in this thread  :( - but fun to think back, how it all began ;)

Nexus 6
    RuneSR2 said:

Awesome - I still got my Gainward 7800GS+ card, it's a 7900GT in disguise - probably still the fastest AGP card on the planet  :D  

I still have a PC with 2 x Voodoo 2 in SLI - real Glide still works in dos (combined with Matrox Mill 2 AGP) + 200 Mhz Pentium + 64 MB ram + Creative Labs AWE32 sound card. I think I have a 3dfx Voodoo Graphics card in a box somewhere too. But I rarely use that machine - the 21" Trinitron monitor still works too. I have the original dos glide Tomb Raider + Doom 1-2 (dos) + Descent 2 (dos glide) + System Shock (CDrom-version) + Bioforge + Day of the Tentacle and much more still working like they were made originally (21" is a bit large for 320x200 though). 

Suddenly I got the feeling I lost my focus in this thread  :( - but fun to think back, how it all began ;)

Nice!!! I would have still had all my stuff from the 3DFX era...including games with boxes, but went through a divorce at the time and everything disappeared... Still have a couple of old monitors as well though, plus a huge amount of old hard drives, cdrom's, floppy's, etc.... Those were the days...

Yes, I guess we should back on focus to the thread.... o:)

• RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,709 Valuable Player
    edited December 2018
    It doesn't say what Graphics card the Geforce 11 would be equivalent to regarding performance? Are we talking a performance of a Geforce 2080Ti? Or will this sit somewhere between a Geforce 1080 Ti & a Geforce 2080 Ti when it comes to performance? If it does do either of these two then the Geforce 11 GTX is a bit pointless, isn't it?
    Nexus 6
    As it is we don't know, but all bets are that it'll be in the area of a GTX 1070...so it doesn't intrude on the RTX series.
    edited December 2018
    As it is we don't know, but all bets are that it'll be in the area of a GTX 1070...so it doesn't intrude on the RTX series.

But what's the point then if it was just like having a Geforce 1070? Why not just get a Geforce 1070? I'm not sure I understand the point of bringing out a Geforce 11 GTX card? Why not just make a Geforce card with the performance of a Geforce 2080 Ti, but without RTX attached to it? 
    Nexus 6
    I agree, but AMD has nothing presently to compete with RTX (and prob won't for some time). Nvidia will stop making the GTX 10 series, but will want to still compete with AMD in the entry/mid market with the GTX 11 series.
  • TwoHedWlfTwoHedWlf Posts: 2,234 Valuable Player
    RedRizla said:
    It doesn't say what Graphics card the Geforce 11 would be equivalent to regarding performance? Are we talking a performance of a Geforce 2080Ti? Or will this sit somewhere between a Geforce 1080 Ti & a Geforce 2080 Ti when it comes to performance? If it does do either of these two then the Geforce 11 GTX is a bit pointless, isn't it?
    I'd make a guess that the chipset and performance will be roughly similar to the 2080 series, minus the the RTX bits so at a bit lower price point.  2080=1180 and so on.
    edited December 2018
    TwoHedWlf said:
    RedRizla said:
    I'd make a guess that the chipset and performance will be roughly similar to the 2080 series, minus the the RTX bits so at a bit lower price point.  2080=1180 and so on.

That would make sense because there's a lot of people in need of an upgrade, but who are now stuck between a rock and a hard place right now. I would say £1000 for many PC gamers is a stretch to far. I'm guessing lots of collage students who prefer PC gaming will find it difficult if not impossible trying to find £1000 plus. I work and even I find it impossible to come up with that amount of cash tbh. Even parents wanting to buy their kids these cards as a present for Christmas will no doubt be put of by the price.

So were does all that leave PC gaming for some people and more so where does it leave PC-VR? I just hope the next Oculus VR headset doesn't require a beefy card, because I'm not going to pay the same price for a 2 year old Geforce 1080 Ti, and I can't afford £1000 plus for a Geforce 2080 Ti, to get the performance that everyone looks to get from a Graphics Card when they are upgrading..

What I find more worrying is that the old cards like the Geforce 1080 Ti, they are roughly the same price today as they were 2 years ago now. If this Geforce 11 is on a par with a Geforce 2080 Ti without RTX, I wouldn't mind paying around £650 tops for it..
  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 5,223 Volunteer Moderator
    edited December 2018

A decision like that could lead to a very sluggish adoption of ray tracing by games devs.

From what I'm hearing, people who haven't experienced a ray-trace game are way more likely to go for plain and simple FPS gains over their current card as a justifier for upgrading. Which is understandable I guess.

That in turn would mean RTX remains a small market for nvidia which would make it difficult to bring the prices down for those cards, unless they start to subsidise the early RTX cards from the sales of non-RTX cards.

I see RTX being niche for a couple more generations of cards if they do this, and for those that have bought into RTX, it would probably mean a lot fewer enabled games than hoped for.

I really like the tech and what it can do for games but as for putting my money where my mouth is and getting a 2080ti... well I'm having trouble justifying it.

Intel 5820K [email protected], Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1903 (18363.476)
    Nexus 6

I really like the tech and what it can do for games but as for putting my money where my mouth is and getting a 2080ti... well I'm having trouble justifying it.

I totally agree with you, hard to justify the price presently when games supporting the tech are too far away. I foresee myself still using my 1080ti till 7nm 2nd gen cards are available. At that time 2nd gen cards should be at least 50-75%+ faster than 1080ti at rasterization.

Btw, sick Windows 95 system you got there.... :p
    You never forget your first..... PC 😜
    Intel 5820K [email protected], Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1903 (18363.476)
    edited December 2018
    Seems like RTX 2060 is coming - but then it's hard to understand why Nvidia would continue GTX... Well, unless the RTX specific parts of the GPU can be disabled in case of errors, and the card sold as a normal GTX... Hmmm.... 

https://www.techradar.com/news/nvidia-geforce-rtx-2060-6gb-4gb-and-3gb-models-confirmed-in-eec-filing

Guess we'll know sometime next year  B)

edited December 2018
    It's like when DX10 cards were flooding the market and hardly any games at all supported it. Why buy it if you can't use it?
    That's why I stuck with my X1950XTX while people were falling over themselves to buy the 8800's. Mind you - that X1950XTX was the last red card I bought until the 4870.

For me, green was the only way to go, up until I was browsing PC World one day and spotted a red card on the shelf - don't remember which one, but it had two BIOS on board and you had to switch them with a shorting thingy (can't remember what they are called now) - of course, I had it on "Turbo" BIOS all the time, plus overclocking it was brilliant and cost a fraction of the then popular GeForce cards. Had an X800XT Multi Media version after that - another good card, especially for video editing. Think that was around £200. Then £300 for the then top of the range X1950XTX, which performed extremely well (overclocked and with a custom cooler fitted) and lasted me over 3 years, before I went back to green (GF6600 I think), very briefly, until that awesome HD4870 came out and made me smile - a lot!

PS - I'd be interested in a GTX11xx card, as long as it gave an increase in performance and wasn't overly expensive.

Brixmis said:
    you had to switch them with a shorting thingy (can't remember what they are called now)
    Jumper, or if you bought it at this time of year, a Christmas jumper
    Yeah, that's it! For an electrician, forgetting that is pretty baaad! :(

I loved the 4870, when I got mine I got the 2GB version which meant I didn't have to upgrade it for YEARS. There weren't that many of those about but it was worth its weight in gold, I think Powercolor were the only company that made them, at least I can't remember seeing any other manufacturers doing them.

Probably my favourite GPU I've owned so far I think.