Post your Skyrim VR reviews and impressions and discussion here. - Page 36 — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Post your Skyrim VR reviews and impressions and discussion here.

Comments

• RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 2,309 Valuable Player
    Brixmis said:
    Sorry, can't help you! I read through the entire thing to find out everything (hint hint!)

Actually I can't help cos I've got a hospital appointment to go to.... seeya! :D

Thanks - I'll start reading  o:) 

Good luck with the appointment! wishluck
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz boost, 11 Ghz ram); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Oculus Rift CV1 - nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
  • PhoenixSpyderPhoenixSpyder Posts: 216
    Nexus 6
    i7 8700k @ 5ghz, Asus Rog Strix Z370-E Gaming, MSI 1080ti Gaming X @ 2050Ghz + 11.4Ghz ram, 32 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2666 Ghz, Adata SX900 SSD, Adata SX6000NP M.2 SSD, Adata SU650 SSD, Toshiba 3TB HD, Oculus Rift, Odyssey Plus, Windows 10 Pro 1803
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz boost, 11 Ghz ram); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Oculus Rift CV1 - nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

Nexus 6
    edited December 2018
    RuneSR2 said:
    I just bought Skyrim VR for something like $23 (€20) - I think it'll be good for my VR education  o:)

Unfortunately this thread is depressingly long - and I know absolutely nothing about modding Skyrim VR. I'd greatly appreciate some help  :)

Are there any Skyrim VR mods for the Rift that are must-haves? (And where can I find them?) Thanks! 

(BTW, also just got Overload (=Descent4) for $12/€11 - I'd be happy to share links inf needed)

Welcome to Skyrim VR,

I posted some of the links to modding Skyrim VR again (previous comment). Make sure to use MO2 as your mod manager as it is the most streamlined and popular presently. Don't use NMM as it is no longer supported and is very difficult to recover from if something goes wrong. Vortex is another option, but many still have issues with it. Follow any of the guides posted and you will get excellent results. Modding Skyrim VR comes down to personal taste. With your system, you should be able to do quite a lot of modding. Definitely ask questions as they come. I would suggest working initially on visual mods, then continue on with other types as needed. Also, only install mods designed for Skyrim SE, don't install mods from Oldrim (Skyrim original). Use the web site below for searching for top mods.

Don't forget to use LOOT to sort your mods.

Enjoy!!!

i7 8700k @ 5ghz, Asus Rog Strix Z370-E Gaming, MSI 1080ti Gaming X @ 2050Ghz + 11.4Ghz ram, 32 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2666 Ghz, Adata SX900 SSD, Adata SX6000NP M.2 SSD, Adata SU650 SSD, Toshiba 3TB HD, Oculus Rift, Odyssey Plus, Windows 10 Pro 1803
  • Jake_DragonJake_Dragon Posts: 99
    Hiro Protagonist
    Then you can find almost everything you need here
    https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition
    Most of the mods I have are from past experience. Texture updates that make the world look better.
    Then People they look better now.
    You want nice looking armor if you have pretty people so that is included.
    Then a few good followers
    Read the description as some of them don't play well together.
  • NorseMonsterNorseMonster Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    Love Skyrim, one of my all time favorite games, but I cannot play this game more than 15 minutes without feeling extreme nausea.
  • JD-UKJD-UK Posts: 2,289 Valuable Player
    edited December 2018
    Yeah, the appointment went okay, thanks! Bloody typical - suffering for weeks and on the day of the appointment, I feel fine. Sod's law.

Anyway, I still thinks it's worth at least browsing through and stop where you see any links. These will be to decent mods (and the poster will normally outline any special tasks required to get them working well) and/or links to useful info elsewhere. Also, this diagram (in case you're a lefty, you need the other one):

Hiro Protagonist
    Love Skyrim, one of my all time favorite games, but I cannot play this game more than 15 minutes without feeling extreme nausea.
    Sorry to hear that. I couldn't wait to buy this game. Being in Skyrim was why I purchased my Rift.
    That said after moving to my new home I don't have as much room so I play sitting down. 
    https://www.reddit.com/r/skyrimvr/comments/89qb4a/how_to_play_skyrim_vr_whilst_sitting_down/
    After standing for an hour I feel it in my legs and after 2 hours I feel it the next day.
    That's a good point, actually. @NorseMonster - do you play standing or sitting? Could make a difference.

I normally struggle with locomotion in games like this (not sims, though) and I did initially with this game, too. Now I'm fine, though. I play sitting down - don't have a choice - but when I was able to play standing, it was a lot worse.
    Against the suggested flow, I use smooth locomotion and smooth turning and have no issues. I did increase the comfort effects for smooth turning, though. I think it's around the 40% mark.

It's worth having a play around with the settings, if you haven't already.

• nroskonrosko Posts: 954
    Neo
    RuneSR2 said:
    I just bought Skyrim VR for something like $23 (€20) - I think it'll be good for my VR education  o:)

Unfortunately this thread is depressingly long - and I know absolutely nothing about modding Skyrim VR. I'd greatly appreciate some help  :)

Are there any Skyrim VR mods for the Rift that are must-haves? (And where can I find them?) Thanks! 

(BTW, also just got Overload (=Descent4) for $12/€11 - I'd be happy to share links inf needed)
    One option is to go through a mod list instal guide, these are good because they are already tested that the mods work well together and look right together. I used septim, it layers many textures from different packs but there are others. Just don't install anything that's not compatible with skyrim vr version.  
    https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/categories/82/?BH=0
    edited December 2018
    Don't think you have to install everything, either - my list of mods is quite short for my first playthrough, and I'm very satisfied with it, now it's all squared away and working nicely.

Had some hiccups, but luckily, with MO2 it's very easy to sort things out, and sometimes just uninstalling, reinstalling and letting LOOT sort them again will fix a non-working mod.

PS - not knowing what the hell is going on seems about par for the course for a while. I would strongly recommend one of the guides as a back-up, or one of the guide sites, for when you need to know something quickly. I'm still nowhere near into the nitty gritty of the guide I'm reading - it's 660 pages, but very informative.

IGN do a guide of over 1,100 pages - it's basically a copy of their website guide, but I found it a bit unhelpful when trying to find specifics on something.

The Prima guide is what I'm reading:

see pm ;)

also, the gamepressure guide has been very useful, using the margin links to find whichever quest I need help with:

https://guides.gamepressure.com/theelderscrollsvskyrim/

Use this interactive map to your benefit:

https://srmap.uesp.net/

Guide compendium on Reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/skyrimvr/comments/936596/the_skyrim_vr_guide_compendium_a_collection_of/

Thank you all for the awesome support and suggestions - I'll give the game a go later tonight just to get a feel of the unmodified vanilla version first, hopefully the game will have fewer problems today than when this video was made May 3...  ;)

Hiro Protagonist
    Now if we could get this combat system to work in Skyrim 

Blade & Sorcery

edited December 2018
    Had an enjoyable time in Skyrim yesterday. I'm not new to Skyrim, I did play the pancake version, but I'm new to the VR version. Then again it's something like 6 years since I played the pancake version, and it's not like I remember every step and story 100%. 

Touch controls did work fine, but it did take me some time to adjust (the Steam keyboard didn't work the first time, so I had a hard time writing the my character's name - eventually I gave up, closed the game and restarted it, then suddenly the Steam keyboard worked - viola...). I don't seem able to remap buttons. The biggest problem is that I'm left-handed, and I'd like to hold my sword/weapon in my left hand, while I have smooth turning on my right thumb stick. But in Skyrim weapon hand and smooth turning can't be separated, so my brain needs a lot of rewiring before I get used to smooth turning on the left thumb stick and full locomotion on the right thumb stick. Otherwise I'm using HMD-directed movement, works perfectly like in Doom VFR and greatly facilitates immersion.

I did crank up visual settings to the max, including super sampling, the game still performed 90 fps or close indoors, but it was kinda overkill with maxed out super sampling, so I lowered it to about 75% which gave me nice 90 fps outdoors. Textures are the main problem in Skyrim, although Skyrim isn't much about graphics - it's about the amazing content, stories and game-play. 

I had a nice time watching a bee - it flew just in front of me - and watching ants moving across a path. This may seem boring, but such attention to details is what really makes Skyrim a living and breathing world, unlike any other in VR (for now). And it really felt like I was truly present in Skyrim - for the first time. 

Some textures on boulders are still quite nice, I do remember that they looked close to photo realistic computer graphics back in 2011, but time has passed - and in VR you really get close. It's a bit sad that Bethesda didn't redo all textures to greatly increase details, but using a high level of super sampling does help a little. BTW, compared to the graphics issues showed in the "Skyrim VR is a nightmare" video I didn't experience any - some moving character are still floating an inch above the ground, but they did that in 2011 and a game this size is bound not to be perfect.  

I don't mind having to press X to interact etc - but of course Touch controls like in Mage Tale would have been better. Still these are minor issues compared to the massive content in Skyrim. 

Now after these first impression I guess I'm ready to start reading about modding and more  :)

And this was my post number 1,000! That's 8% of @Zenbane's post count, I guess he now can feel me breathing down his neck  :D

• nroskonrosko Posts: 954
    Neo
    The game is really quite ugly without mods. I'm going to start again in the NY & follow this guide http://www.predcaliber.com/skyrimsetut just need to gather the necessary motivation to do it.  
    Nexus 6
    RuneSR2 said:

Now after these first impression I guess I'm ready to start reading about modding and more  :)

Wait till you have done some visual modding... prepare to be blown away!!! I'm now 530 hrs into heavily modded Skyrim VR and I am still in awe at what I keep seeing. I still get that 'Oh wow' happening all the time. I probably wouldn't get it that much if I didn't mod.

Oh yes, once you have begun to mod, I highly recommend using OpenComposite instead of SteamVR. One particular user who has written modding guides (and has over 600 mods installed) began using OpenComposite and literally gained about 25fps average just by switching to it. SteamVR is a performance pig.

Have fun!!!

This does look awesome - but it's the pancake version and if a 1080 Ti is already struggling to keep up 60 fps... I'll probably mostly be hunting for mods to increase image quality without decreasing performance.

My 1060/6 is holding up very nicely.

Hiro Protagonist
    RuneSR2 said:
    This does look awesome - but it's the pancake version and if a 1080 Ti is already struggling to keep up 60 fps... I'll probably mostly be hunting for mods to increase image quality without decreasing performance.

I have a 1070 and its holding up very well. 
    I haven't been playing as much lately but perhaps its time to rid Skyrim of these Stormcloaks or better yet Ulfric and put things back in order :) Haven't played through the Civil war on the Empire side yet.
    Nexus 6
    edited December 2018
    RuneSR2 said:

I currently have my Skyrim VR looking quite like this video with my 150+ mods installed. While I don't have an ENB installed (due to performance robbing), I'm quite satisfied with the lighting that my mods do. Other than the Rift not being able to have the same quality of detail that a monitor can do, it's about the best experience I can have with current gen VR. Using OpenComposite allows me to run Skyrim VR looking like the video at mostly 90fps (45 ASW) outdoors and 90fps (always) indoors.

The user of this video is only using an i7 4790k, which is still fine but a bit outdated (in processor life terms). Your i7 7700k will be quite a bit better in Skyrim as Skyrim is more CPU bound than GPU bound.

Good luck!!!

• RattyUKRattyUK Posts: 667
    Neo
    edited December 2018
    A screenie from my slightly modded SkyrimVR - only around 60 mods, mostly textures/characters..

Not too shabby :)

ETA: the arrow is in the other eye...
    PC info: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, Asus ROG Crosshair VII Hero, 16GB Tforce Pro Dark DDR4 3200, Gigabyte GTX 1080, Samsung 870 Pro M.2, 2x 240GB SSD, 3TB WD Green HDD & 4 TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, Corsair Modular 750w PSU, custom watercooling loop. (Win 10 Pro & Opensuse Leap 15 Linux) 32" AOC 4K Monitor.

Laptop: Aorus X5 V6-CF1 (I7-6820HK, GTX 1070, 2* 256GB M.2 NVME, 1TB 7200 HDD 3K screen)
    edited December 2018
    Talking of which - there's nothing more hilarious than shooting 3 or 4 arrows through the eye slots of some duffer's helmet, whilst they are fighting my followers, and watch them keep on fighting with the arrows sticking out of their heads!

Hiro Protagonist
    edited December 2018
    Divine Punishment for Mention of Arrows in the Knee
    I have not tried this but it cracked me up when I read the description
    Yay! Finally got my first house - and most rooms fitted, too. Lots of places to stash goodies and my own little alchemy table.
    Was really surprised to find out how much my amateur potions will sell for. Also noticed how many nice comments I'm getting from "de lidies" as my speech skill goes up.

Nexus 6
    Seeing the Aurora Borealis in Skyrim VR is just like the seeing the real thing. Absolutely incredible!!!

edited January 1
    I tell you what, guys, Skyrim is the best game I've ever come across as far as varied gameplay goes - i.e. each time the game is played it plays differently.

Yes, there are the same quests, locations, etc, but I've done the first 2-3 hours 4 times in the last month - twice in pancake and twice in VR, and each time I have come across different events and ended those couple of hours in different economic states and learned different things in each one, without deliberately intending to do so. That's quite impressive.

oh - I wanted to take screenshots several times, but unfortunately, I'm sat too far away from my PC (in order not to thump anything) to be able to reach the keyboard. S'pose I could use a vocal command, but seems a bit of a waste setting it up just for that. Last noight, during a fight with a dragon at Riverwood, I spun so many times in my office chair that the cable was in a right tangle by the time I finished. Must take more care - these cables are not cheap.

Hiro Protagonist
    System button + Trigger 
    So the button that you push on the left controller to bring up the steam interface and the left trigger at the same time will take a screen shot. Then you can view them in steam and it will let you open them on your local desktop.
    I will say that most of the content I have done. But every once in a while I find a new place and its very cool.

• LuciferousLuciferous Posts: 1,948 Valuable Player
    I like the VR body Mod very good.
    Hiro Protagonist
    I like the VR body Mod very good.
    I like it too just wish the arms were handled better. 
    edited January 4
    System button + Trigger
    I tried it, but doesn't seem to work. I probably need to set something in Steam options? I normally use external programs for screenshots and recordings in games, so if this is the Steam screenshot function, I'm guessing it isn't set up correctly.

Just had a look:

I've no idea what that is in the screenshot key box :/