cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IL-2 Makes Me Giggle Like A Little Schoolboy...

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee
who has just planted a stink bomb in the headmaster's office!

Seriously, this has just got to be the best VR flight simulator out there - and when you can fly well-modelled aircraft and do things like this in them...

eoiqi1owmi4e.jpg

30uishgmn0fx.jpg

al5dhs2kzwil.jpg

94foti9ttd2q.jpg

mf7i9slhp5kt.jpg

qhir0ihp5p87.jpg

7v98dfo4zfuf.jpg

aiiytmsdslq5.jpg

t73npt269n78.jpg

You'll be laughing, too!

i5 9600k @4.5GHz; 16GB DDR4 3200; 6xSSD; RTX2080ti; Gigabyte Z390D Mobo
Rift CV1; Index; Quest; Quest 2
142 REPLIES 142

Chazmeister
Rising Star
Don't have Bodenplatte but have BoS, BoM and BoK.

As for the P-47D, is it a bubble top one or a razorback? Not too keen on the latter, but like the bubble tops. Although out of that pack, the main draw for me would obviously be the P-51D Mustang, as apart from the Spit, you don't get much more classic than that. The Tempest is a very nice one too, as it's basically an updated Typhoon, which is a very cool plane of course. I'm not very good at the ground attack stuff right now though, so I tend to shy away from that sort of thing at the moment. Need more practice.

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee
Yes, it's the bubbletop, not the razorback. I have a nice model of one knocking about somewhere - always liked them.

Found some pics:

hn85glwuxfkn.jpg

2dhrned63za6.jpg

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee
Found just the info I wanted on radio subtitles:

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/12846-please-add-option-for-radio-subtitles/

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee
Had a great time in the two Spitfires today. I thought I might regret buying the Vb collector plane, as I got the IX in Bodenplatte - but no, they are quite different and both are great fun! Was laughing and whooping as much as with the first post!
It wasn't until a while after the session that I stopped smiling, either! After my first kill in the Vb, I found myself singing "Another One Bites The Dust" 😄

Oh - and they sound just awesome. The minute I sat in the cockpit I just knew I was going to get the job done, and have loadsa fun doing it.

Uploaded the screenshots to an album, as there were too many to post here - starting with the Boston and missing a target that couldn't even be seen through the bomb aiming sight, by just a few feet, and moving on to the Spitfire IX and an attack on 3 tanks (they got away) and then in the Vb against 4 artillery positions (they didn't, though they tried to run away), followed by the landing.

You can tell them apart externally, by the fact that the IX has two large cooler scoops on the underside, and the Vb has only one. The guns look different, and the Vb also has a little window in the left side of the canopy - but you'd have to be very close to spot those.

LINKY

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee
If you're in two minds about shelling out for Bodenplatte, let me reassure you that it's well worth the outlay.

In recent days I've tested the Spitfire, Airacobra and Thunderbolt and they are all outstanding pieces of simulated machinery. A huge difference from their Soviet counterparts. Those who are not keen on all the tweaking as you fly the MiGs and Ilyushins will love these planes - especially at low level, where you don't even need to worry about the supercharger, though you'll want to head for higher altitudes if A/A combat is your thing.

Here's a few happy snaps from my test flights - all A/G sorties.

This is the P-39 Airacobra..

kf1pmryardus.jpg

jwywitavd25k.jpg

rxea8x6ydf0d.jpg

It's the easiest plane to land, by some margin, too...

hvaibcfuz1ez.jpg

It has an array of machine guns, for which you can take extra ammo that adds up to plenty of killing time. The bombing is fun, too - it carries one under the fuselage. It's very agile and just loadsa fun. The cannon in the spinner (sticking out of the nose) is fantastic. It fires at a very slow rate, which makes it seem real "badass", but it makes it more difficult to get more than one or two rounds on target - though that's usually all it takes to do the job.

The Juggernaut is another matter, entirely - though it's also mega fun, it really needs some respect. Lots of weight and that engine can't always pull you out of those sticky situations - especially if you are also heavily loaded with bombs, rockets and extra MG ammo - all at once!

Yes, this thing is a flying gunbus!

xqqhcgk6e4h8.jpgu120iqzge0hf.jpgsdfev2ifmulq.jpgjvvfb5vur18q.jpgzfdr81ajtnt9.jpg

Lawn mower?7rwwm4m2sbhu.jpg

...Or hairdresser?
tdlvt883ukux.jpgbkqjawl42h6z.jpg

This thing is just a barrel of laughs - but not for the Hun!

PS - Ever wondered what would happen if you clipped a tree in these things?

This:

c2f1db43kdd5.jpg

😄

Chazmeister
Rising Star
Is it just the angle you're sitting at, or have they put the gun sight right slap bang in front of the altimeter and compass in that P-39?

Techy111
MVP
MVP

Is it just the angle you're sitting at, or have they put the gun sight right slap bang in front of the altimeter and compass in that P-39?

No mate, brix is a little fella and has booster cushions 😉
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee
Yeah, it's all perfectly visible from the seat - I was just hopping up and down in excitement (or standing up so I didn't squash the mess when I shit myself) 😄

You may have to dip down on the odd occasion, but I didn't notice any problems.

You can tell I'm at a raised position from the angle of the gunsight lamp.

**having said that, I just checked and yes, it is a bit in the way - but you just move your head slightly to one side or the other to view the instruments.

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee
News:

https://il2sturmovik.com/news/450/dev-blog-214/

Chazmeister
Rising Star
Nice! Looks like I'll have to get around to investing in Tank Crew at some point when they do that. Been thinking about getting Tank Crew for quite a while now anyway.