cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

why cant i see anything??

mattmattybruh
Honored Guest
got given a rift for Christmas so treated myself to a vsus FX504GM-EN150T gaming laptop (GTX 1060/ i7-8750H processor/ 6bg ram), everything over the recommened specs. 
I have sound in the headset but just black screen, also an amber light that sometimes goes white but not for long.
any help would be lovely 
cheers
15 REPLIES 15

Danijas
Honored Guest
Are you working off and HDMI cable? Seems to be nothing but problems with the HDMI hook up from the headset to the computer. 

Techy111
MVP
MVP
Does it have a proper direct to graphics card hdmi or dvi port ?
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

Thmoas
Rising Star
Why do people keep buying these crap gaming laptops? It's probably related to the HDMI not connected straight to the nVidia card. Apart from that, 6GB is not enough, the minimum is 8GB.

ChefkochXL
Honored Guest
I have same problem on HP OMEN Laptop, no picture in Headset, Oculus setup does not work

mattmattybruh
Honored Guest

Thmoas said:

Why do people keep buying these crap gaming laptops? It's probably related to the HDMI not connected straight to the nVidia card. Apart from that, 6GB is not enough, the minimum is 8GB.

because I don't have the room for a full set up? and this is ment to be designed for the job?

mattmattybruh
Honored Guest

Techy111 said:

Does it have a proper direct to graphics card hdmi or dvi port ?

not sure mate, im new to all the computer stuff so just went for a laptop that was 'designed for vr'

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hey there,

First, you have to check that the HDMI port is indeed connected to the NVidia GPU. Apparently this is not always the case. If the HDMI port is not connected to the Nvidia GPU, there is no way it can work with VR. So you have to check that.
Then, go in the NVidia Control Panel and check that the preferred graphics card is the Nvidia one (instead of the integrated GPU). Somehow, the laptop often doesn't know it has to use the GTX with VR, that's why we have to make sure it does.

ethanashulman
Explorer

If the HDMI port is not connected to the Nvidia GPU, there is no way it can work with VR.

Windows MR headsets can run on laptops with hybrid GPU's, source

Anonymous
Not applicable
Wrong. It is possible only if the HDMI port is wired to the discrete GPU, and it is said on the very page you quoted, read it again ^^'.

That said, their presentation is indeed confusing. It's normal: it's Microsoft. Obviously they wouldn't just say their own hardware can't run on their own computers...
But don't be fooled, there's no magic behind it. If the VR headset can't be plugged directly in the GTX, it can't be used (or will work very poorly).