cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Mad Box Is Coming!

Whatever that means...  Interesting.

It’s now 2019 – if you hadn’t already noticed – and next week is the largest tech event in the world, CES. While there are usually lots of announcements and rumours, the latest to pop up on the Twittersphere is quite the oddity. CEO of Slightly Mad Studios Ian Bell – the creator behind Project CARS – has taken to the social network to announce ‘The Mad Box is coming‘.

https://www.vrfocus.com/2019/01/project-cars-creator-joins-twitter-and-proclaims-the-mad-box-is-comi...
Big PC, all the headsets, now using Quest 3
16 REPLIES 16

KlodsBrik
Expert Trustee
If he´s a clever person, he has said it the way he did to create even more fuzz about the product and not have us raise our bars.
 So when it´s released and runs 60mhz PR eye, and does 4k 60fps, even at low settings, no one will be dissapointed.
We might even be impressed.
I hope to hear more about the box in the coming week.
Be good, die great !

Yeah, it's definitely one to park in the "wait and see" slot.
Big PC, all the headsets, now using Quest 3

kojack
MVP
MVP
Technically the Pimax headsets have a different fps and per eye fps, using their Brainwarp method.
With brainwarp, you'd have 90fps per eye, but the actual display is 180fps. This happens because each eye is out of phase.
Render left eye
Display both eyes
Render right eye
Display both eyes

From the article: "So what the hell is going on? Is it the real Ian Bell? It seems unusual
that someone would impersonate him, but the account has only been set up
today."
My first thought was deja vu of the Atari Box. If it's not the real Ian Bell, I can probably guess who it is. 🙂

This is the interesting bit for me though: "You want a full engine for free to develop your games on it?"
Does this mean they are giving out the Project Cars engine? How moddable is it to non racing games? Or do they mean Unreal or Unity work on the console?

I'm kind of sad that it's a different Ian Bell to the one that co-created Elite with David Braben.

Ok, going over this Ian's twitter account, there's more details:
He says the Mad Box is 90fps per eye, 180fps internal. Sounds like brainwarp.
Here's the product:
vpg55ceebm28.jpg

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

OmegaM4N
Expert Trustee
All aboard the hype train, first stop, dissapointmentville. lol
CV1/Vive-knuckles)/Dell Vr Visor/Go/Quest II/ PSVR.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
The MadBox is real, but it's 3 years away, by which time something much better will be available no doubt..

https://comicbook.com/gaming/2019/01/05/playstation-xbox-console-competitor-mad-box-design/

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

RedRizla said:

The MadBox is real, but it's 3 years away, by which time something much better will be available no doubt..

https://comicbook.com/gaming/2019/01/05/playstation-xbox-console-competitor-mad-box-design/

"it’ll be a while before the product is released with the studio CEO give an estimate of three and a half years before it’ll be available to consumers."

Fully agree with RedRizla - in the summer of 2022 Mad Box will be up against PS5 and probably a new console from MS - while RTX 3080/2180 or even RTX 4080/2280 may have been released 😉 
Personally Mad Box is of little interest to me, before it's available - then we'll see if Mad Box is interesting for Sane Users 😉 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
@RuneSR2 - I was hoping it was going to arrive this year when I first saw the thread. Sadly, like you said, three and a half years will see other tech before MadBox. Who knows though, it might turn out to be something special when it does arrive..