cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poor performance with Rift all of the sudden

b1015g16
Honored Guest

Hi guys,

I have a new gaming setup and it has been working really good for a few weeks until a few days ago. My rift is lagging, you can really notice it when you're turning your head. It started a few days ago, until then it was working very well.

It's lagging in games (steam vr and non vr games) and in the oculus home also.

After replacing the home environment in oculus with a empty shell (a different exe) that performed again, but as soon as I launch a game (DCS for example) I stutters like a mad man.

My setup:

i9 9900k

1080ti

16GB RAM

This is what i tried so far:

1. installed the latest nvidia drivers

1. even tried a earlier version

2. checked the powermanagement settings of the usb port

3. disabled the ASW and supersampling (in the tray tools and steam vr) (no effect)

4. reinstalled Oculus software

5. reinstalled steam VR

6. Disabled virusscanner

7. stopped using MSI Afterburner

8. Replaced the home environment in oculus

9. prayed on my knees to the VR gods

What could I possibly try next to fix this problem?

Thanks in advance!

5 REPLIES 5

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hey there,
It seems you didn't prey enough, I suggest you do it all the night and check tomorrow morning >_<.

More seriously, what does MSI Afterburner show you? I'm sure it can tell you if a limit is activated (power limit or temperature limit).
Open MSI Afterburner, launch a VR game for 3-5 minutes, and check the CPU and GPU usages, as well as the limits.

Good luck!

(If I were to take a guess though, I would say it may be a temperature limit. Basically, your computer forces itself to use less power to avoid overheating, but as it uses less power it doesn't perform well in VR ; that would be the first thing I'd check).

b1015g16
Honored Guest
In Oculus home, where the problem is only appearing, my CPU temp is at 39 degrees Celcius and my GPU is 53 degrees Celcius. So yeah... looks fine to me.

GeekyGami
Adventurer
How much CPU is Oculus Dash using if you look in task manager?
When you're in VR, I mean

ohgrant
Superstar
I just had the same problem, went from everything working grande to all of the stuttering returning. I've had reoccurring since the dash update. At first, was only having problems in VR, I noticed it seemed to manifest right after an Oculus game update. The problem got much worse a few weeks ago and I was starting to get random BSOD. The BSOD's got exponentially worse to the point that I ordered parts for a new PC build. 
 The one thing I didn't consider was the RAM for some reason. After trying everything else, reseating CPU and GPU HS/ fans' with silver. Downgrading my PC monitor tried different USB cards. Innatech and Starteck. I even picked up a second hand Vive to get the same jittering and hand tracking issues An entire season of troubleshooting and spending.
 New PC parts starting to arrive next week, as an afterthought, I started yanking RAM, 1st stick I yanked I noticed at once I regained start-up speed. I was then able to reinstall the inatech card without any conflict. All conflicts are now gone Perfectly steady dash and home. 4GB less RAM than I had, but I'm seeing things, in VR, that I didn't see before since I got my Rift. 
 I'm pretty sure that RAM stick has been causing intermittent issues for over a year. In hindsight, I should have run a memtest long ago, I monitored its temps and frequencies.
 Too early for me to come to any conclusions but I'm thinking that VR stresses your system more than most benchmarks can cover and will reveal bottlenecks or defects that would not generally manifest in a normal 2D or even desktop 3D gaming session. 
 All things being equal 9900k +1080ti is a beast of a machine. There is no reason you shouldn't be able to run maxed with no issues. If your CPU and GPU temps look good, I'd run a memtest and even if it passed. I would yank one stick of RAM at a time to test each one. 

Gigabyte  AB350 Ryzen 2700x, 32gb ddr 4 3200, 2080ti. HP Reverb G2, Index controllers, Quest 1 and 2x Quest 2. 65" 3DTV HD3D DLP projector.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Just wondering, if you yank a stick of RAM doesn't that reset your m/b so it does a new scan? Does adding that stick back in get back stutters AND if you perform a memtest does it show any faults? 
What is your total RAM with no yanking any out? Does VR perform best with just 8GB rather than 16 or more as some users claimed?

I say this also as some stutters go after you reconnect your Rift's HMD after any updates.