Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Steam Hardware Survey - February 2024 results included

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

steamvr-2.jpg

Latest results:

dyko7ca98u34.jpg

These results are compared, at least for the Rift, to August when Rift peaked at 0.35 %. Since August 2018 Rift has decreased about 6 % (from 0.35 to 0.33). Vive also decreased.  

Compared to other HMDs we see from April to September (note that this image hasn't been updated to October yet):

bboc0nqusboe.jpg

When updated to October I'd expect:

Rift = 45 %
Vive = 42 %
WMR = 8 %
Vive Pro = 3 %
Rift DK2 = 1 %

Source: https://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/Steam-Hardware-Software-Survey-Welcome-to-Steam

BTW - some history:

April 2018:

Oculus Rift 0.20%
HTC Vive 0.18%
Windows Mixed Reality 0.01%
Oculus Rift DK2 0.01%
Oculus Rift DK1 0.00%
Unknown 0.00%

July 2018:

Oculus Rift 0.32%
HTC Vive 0.31%
Windows Mixed Reality 0.05%
HTC Vive Pro 0.01%
Oculus Rift DK2 0.01%
Oculus Rift DK1 0.00%

I guess it's more or less a stand still since July for Rift and the original Vive... I don't think the Odyssey+ has had any impact on the WMR results above, the Odyssey+ is much too new - if it'll have any impact, it won't be before the Steam Hardware Survey November 2018 results. 

SteamVR_feature.jpg

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

550 REPLIES 550

kevinw729
Honored Visionary

Hiro_Protag0nist said:
As for the Vive Pros with wireless and "sold out" - we are having a nightmare getting hold of enough of those (the wireless kits).

Yeah, we feel your pain @Hiro_Protag0nist - the whole sector has spotted a scarcity of supply, and it is not helped by a reorg of management within HTC regarding the VR operation. I think after CES we will be in a better position to ascertain the availability of Vivwe, Vive Pro and the new FOCUS 6DoF.

https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

Anonymous
Not applicable

kevinw729 said:

RedRizla said:
The Vive Pro is to expensive for a lot of people that's why it's not selling well. It's the same reason why you think Oculus might have sold lots more headsets for £299 and not £379. You could say the Vive Pro might have sold lots if it dropped it's price to £400..

Not entirely accurate @RedRizla - we are seeing an incredible number of Vive Pro sales in commercial entertainment - and as the majority do not use Steam the numbers do not reflect this! 

Edited my reply - wasn't very clear - i'm not talking about an entire market (consumer or Out of Home):

We (the company I work for - a VR software business (CAD)) only sell Vives (Vive Pro now - the majority wireless).  Now, they do use Steam (before connecting to our own software), but are these recorded in the survey?  Or is it an actual survey that a user completes??

To clarify: we also supply the hardware as packages.  It was always Vives at an early stage due to them having controllers and a "business edition".

It's a totally random thing. If you have Steam running and you're selected for the survey a box will pop up asking you for permission to take part. If you say yes and your headset is connected to Steam then it'll be included in the survey no matter what software is running on it.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

kevinw729 said:

I understand that there is no obligation to OVR to share sales numbers - though recent departures have filled the holes for many of us. My issue is that in order to build momentum it may help if they lower the curtain to encourage developers - especially as there will not be a Steam equivalent regarding penetration of Quest users. 

We've had this discussion before and arrived at something like 8 - 9 mill PCVR and PSVR users - broken down, about 2 mill Rift users, 1.5 mill Vive users and 0.5 mill MS MR users. 

Now Nvidia has just stated that there're 4 mill PCVR users - more or less confirming these numbers:

6xpv8g01q839.png

More info in this thread, page 2:

https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/comment/646879#Comment_646879

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD

Anonymous
Not applicable
Well they got that wrong, the crazy fools. They completely forgot about the 0.000000001m Vive Pro owners. 😛 😄

LZoltowski
Champion

snowdog said:

Well they got that wrong, the crazy fools. They completely forgot about the 0.000000001m Vive Pro owners. 😛 😄

Lol, they are about to announce something new, they have a CES press event at 9PM UK time
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

LZoltowski
Champion

RuneSR2 said:

kevinw729 said:

I understand that there is no obligation to OVR to share sales numbers - though recent departures have filled the holes for many of us. My issue is that in order to build momentum it may help if they lower the curtain to encourage developers - especially as there will not be a Steam equivalent regarding penetration of Quest users. 

We've had this discussion before and arrived at something like 8 - 9 mill PCVR and PSVR users - broken down, about 2 mill Rift users, 1.5 mill Vive users and 0.5 mill MS MR users. 

Now Nvidia has just stated that there're 4 mill PCVR users - more or less confirming these numbers:

6xpv8g01q839.png

More info in this thread, page 2:

https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/comment/646879#Comment_646879

OOH new RTX powered Arnold renderer, I need to watch that keynote.
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

OOH new RTX powered Arnold renderer, I need to watch that keynote.

I keep getting a lot of 'material not supported' messages for Arnold so have defaulted to ART rather than dig deeper, very interested in what the improvements are though.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

RuneSR2 said:

December 2018 results have arrived:

hup0ay63b969.jpg

bepdkslbmzho.jpg

I was expecting to see a larger impact of the Black Friday sales, when you could get the Rift for just $350, but maybe they all went under Christmas trees - in that case we won't see the impact for at least another month. 

0.80 % of all Steam users may now have/use a PCVR HMD. At least that's a 100% increase since April 2018, where 0.40 % had a PCVR HMD. Then again, in July the numbers were 0.70%, so not much seems to have happened this autumn. 

Back to the December 2018 results, Vive Pro is still more or less dead in the water and the small increase in WMR may be related to Samsung Odyssey+. Oculus Rift gained about 3% from November, but that's probably far from enough to really make Oculus happy... 

And then the video cards:

GTX 1060 = 14.80 %
GTX 1070 = 4.02 %
GTX 1080 = 2.75 %
GTX 1080 Ti = 1.62 % 
RTX 2070 = 0.16 %
RTX 2080 = 0.21 %
RTX 2080 Ti = not present = less than 0.15 %

As @LZoltowski wrote "there are more VR headsets in use than RTX 2080 + RTX 2070 combined". Of course this number will probably grow, as persons thinking about getting a 1080 Ti now may prefer the RTX 2080. The RTX 2070 may be a very interesting card, typically placed between 1080 and 1080 Ti regarding performance, and the RTX 2070 has similar power consumption like the GTX 1080. Still to get better performance in VR games than a 1080 Ti can provide you'll need a 2080 Ti.  

Results from January 2019 just arrived:

1gdq8m7jol7w.jpg
elng3evzmp7r.jpg

Seems like a 16% increase for the Rift and 12 % for the Vive. In Dec 2018 0.80 % of all Steam users had PCVR, Jan 2019 0.91 % had PCVR. That's about a 14% increase in just 1 month, I guess Santa had a busy Christmas delivering so many HMDs!  😄

We're now very close to 1 % of Steam users owning a PCVR HMD. 

2080 Ti is still no where in sight - while 0.32 % used RTX 2070 and 0.30 % used RTX 2080 (non-Ti). Next month due to RTX 2060 I wouldn't be surprised if there for the first time are more RTX users than VR users - on Steam.

Anonymous
Not applicable
That's cos most people aren't willing to re-mortgage their houses or risk the kidnapping of wealthy family children to fund a 2080Ti 😮 😄 😄 😄

Anonymous
Not applicable
If you want your child back unharmed leave a 2080Ti in a plain brown paper bag in a bin in Central Park at 4pm tomorrow.