cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

why cant i see anything??

mattmattybruh
Honored Guest
got given a rift for Christmas so treated myself to a vsus FX504GM-EN150T gaming laptop (GTX 1060/ i7-8750H processor/ 6bg ram), everything over the recommened specs. 
I have sound in the headset but just black screen, also an amber light that sometimes goes white but not for long.
any help would be lovely 
cheers
15 REPLIES 15

Techy111
MVP
MVP
@mattmattybruh hi fella, can you link me direct to the laptop with your specs so I can have a look?
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

Morgrum
Expert Trustee

Hey man I had a similar issue when I first started with my laptop.

It could just be that your hdmi isn't putting out a good enough signal.

You can try this its just 11$ and it has helped myself and others who have had the same issue.

You will also need a short male to male hdmi extension to plug this into.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GHL72XS/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

WAAAGH!

sniga
Honored Guest

I have same problem on HP OMEN Laptop, no picture in Headset, Oculus setup does not work

I've got HP Omen as well, and most of the time everything seems to work. I also had few times when I had black screen but could hear the music playing - turned out the screen was behind my head so I had to turn around 180 degrees to actually see the game (that was Creed Rise to Glory, and couple other things).

ethanashulman
Explorer

If the HDMI port is not connected to the Nvidia GPU, there is no way it can work with VR.

Windows MR headsets can run on laptops with hybrid GPU's, source.

mattmattybruh
Honored Guest
after trying everything I could it turned out to be the headset itself!! thanks anyway guys!

francescmas
Explorer

Dear all:

I wish this can help you ! This is a possible solution.

THE PROBLEM:

The Oculus Rift goes black after some time (from 1 to 15 minutes working perfectly) while RIFT audio keeps working. NO ERROR MESSAGE, and Oculus application keeps thinking everything Is all right…

• It’s not a matter of low power on USB 3.0
  • It’s not a matter of bad drivers for NVIDIA
  • It’s not a matter of bad Oculus Rift software installation
  • It’s not a matter of bad Windows setup (sleeping USB ports, neither controlling USB power).

THE CAUSE:

Some laptops have a problem with their integrated HDMI output, due to “I DON’T KNOW EXACTLY WHAT” related with direct connection to NVIDIA… and bla bla bla…

THE SOLUTION:

DON’T USE LAPTOP INTERNAL HDMI.

BUY an adaptor from Mini displayport to HDMI (always supposing the laptop has a mini displayport), BUT it’s not valid any adaptor. I had 2 adaptors… both could output 4K, but couldn’t output 4K at 60fps !!!

So BUY AN EXTERNAL CONVERTER FROM MINI DISPLAYPORT TO HDMI 2.0, 4K 60fps.  (COST: about 9€)

The one that worked for me is the ICZI Adaptor Mini Displayport to HDMI (Thunderbolt 2) which is an HDMI 2.0 output and offers 3840x2160 60fps output.

(Spanish direct Amazon link: https://www.amazon.es/gp/product/B01FSCG91S/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 )

I’ve been testing for hours this morning and works perfectly!!! So happy to solve this problem that annoyed me for several days. And happy to help others !!