cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buy or Wait?

CyberAceee
Honored Guest
Hello,
I'm interested in buying an Oculus Rift but I heard a new Oculus Rift will be available soon. So should I buy the Oculus Rift(on sale for $349 now) or should I wait for the new Oculus Rift to come out?
12 REPLIES 12

Anonymous
Not applicable
Buy now.
No word on when next version of Rift will be out.

Assuming you are talking PC-VR in mind, there is Quest which will be coming out but is a stand alone headset, not PC-VR.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

dburne said:

Buy now.
No word on when next version of Rift will be out.

Assuming you are talking PC-VR in mind, there is Quest which will be coming out but is a stand alone headset, not PC-VR.

Exactly - buy now. Quest has similar GPU as the Samsung S8 phone, it's by far no match for the Rift. 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

Digikid1
Consultant
If you keep waiting for “the next best thing “ you will never get anywhere. Take the leap and buy now. 

Anonymous
Not applicable
The Quest does look crazy cool - especially because it is a mobile experience with some really cool tech behind it. The Rift is super cool still though and if you have a computer that can run it well, it is a no-brainer at the current price point (I bought in at $529cdn if I recall correctly).

As for waiting for the next generation Rift - I will likely get it a ways into the life cycle after it comes out (I know I am going to have to upgrade my gfx card among other things), but I think that it will be worth buying the Rift now at the lower price point to see if VR is something you really want to get into. I mean - the next generation of PC VR from Oculus will likely have a relatively higher price tag as they are going to have the consumer market covered by the Quest, and I feel like PC VR is going to remain for the VR enthusiasts (much like PC Gaming is tailored for enthusiasts as well).

Really consider what you want to do with VR as well - because the Quest may have you covered.

CyberAceee
Honored Guest
Thank you for your answers!

Rudalpl
Protege
So, did you buy it?

I got mine on Tuesday (UPS are wankers, it should be delivered on Friday afternoon but they didn't even bother to come and it took them another two working days to even try to redeliver...) and I don't regret a bit.
Great fun.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
A Rift CV2 is likely a year away; a 2020 release. Buy now and enjoy.

Granted, when 2020 comes around you're gonna be piiissseeddd

edmg
Trustee
I'll be buying a Quest to go with my Rift and Go, but, yeah, it's highly unlikely a new Rift will be out before next year.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hard to say - I mean if you are a person with a little money to spend then getting 1 year to 1.5 years worth of enjoyment out of it is well worth the price tag. If you have to buy a computer/update it then I would spend the money for a Quest instead as it'll have a longer shelf life. 1.5 years is still worth it though at the current price point if you break it down per mouth of enjoyment. That be 20$ per month of enjoyment if you look at it that way. 55$ per month if it is a year out. Still - a new game cost you 60$ - but you get serval new games with just getting the headset in the first place making it worth it. Plus the hours of time you can spend in it doing almost nothing (in a good way) chatting and hanging out with people in places like VRchat.