cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VR at CES2019

kojack
MVP
MVP
Currently the HTC press conference is on. You can see a liveblog by RoadToVR here: https://www.roadtovr.com/htc-vive-ces-2019-press-event-liveblog-livestream/?platform=hootsuite

HTC have announced a new headset: Vive Pro Eye.
It has integrated eye tracking and foveated rendering with Nvidia RTX support (variable rate shading).
tvyx3lbchtn7.jpeg

Nvidia's CEO Jensen Huang said on stage that 4 million PC VR headsets have been sold so far.

Disney and Audi have added Rift support to a car.
I wonder how they are doing motion cancelling?
One funny bit from the article: "picked up a Nunchuck-like remote"
8zf8skzu6a36.jpg

Asus RTX2080 Laptop with Virtual Link USB C
https://uploadvr.com/asus-rtx-2080-laptop-virtuallink/

HTC Vive Cosmos headset announced
It looks like the HTC version of the Oculus Quest. Headset with 4 camera inside out tracking and 2 (Touch like) hand controllers.
It's got a flip up visor.
It is apparently a PC headset but can be powered by other things like a mobile phone.
lvatdsauaui8.jpg

Official Cosmos website: https://www.vive.com/us/cosmos/
(It's one of those crap animated ones where scrolling up/down doesn't always scroll)

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2
108 REPLIES 108

LZoltowski
Champion

RuneSR2 said:

HTC Vive Pro Eye hands-on:

https://www.engadget.com/2019/01/08/htc-vive-pro-eye-hands-on-gaze-tracking-ces-2019/

Quote: "With debug mode on, I was able to see standard Vive Pro rendering on the left side of the screen, and Pro Eye rendering on the right. The difference was immediately clear -- the standard image was pixelated and duller, while the Pro Eye image looked like butter. The logo shone without a pixel in sight, while the leather looked soft to the touch.

The eye-tracking never short-circuited (that I noticed, at least) and the headset seemed to have no problem following my gaze, no matter how rapidly I looked around. And then there was all of the data collected by the eye-tracking system -- after inspecting my car, a heatmap and graphs showed where I focused most of my attention."

Those incremental releases are going to be fun.

Vive
Vive Pro
Vive Pro Eye
Vive Pro Eye and other Eye
Vive Pro Eye and the other Eye and the other eye now with varifocal
Vive Pro Eye and the other Eye and the other eye now with varifocal and the other now too 
Vive Pro Eye and the other Eye and the other eye now with varifocal and the other now too and now no cable
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee
It's alright HTC announcing all these releases, but if they follow their previous pricing policy, they will nose-dive.

i5 9600k @4.5GHz; 16GB DDR4 3200; 6xSSD; RTX2080ti; Gigabyte Z390D Mobo
Rift CV1; Index; Quest; Quest 2

Anonymous
Not applicable

Brixmis said:

It's alright HTC announcing all these releases, but if they follow their previous pricing policy, they will nose-dive.

Yup, very much this ^^^

The Cosmos is also going to be a nightmare to develop for because it doesn't have any mobile components inside and has to rely on either a PC or mobile/tablet for compute. So effectively you don't have a lowest common denominator to aim for because you'll have no clue what sort of hardware is going to be connected to the thing.

If they had gone for a headset with mobile components inside to power it AND had the ability to attach a PC to it then it would be a great idea.

It's that step from Vive to Vive Pro that's the killer, £499 to £1299 for the kits respectively.

I just can't get over that price. I mean ok, they've decided Vive Pro is for enterprise users who'll pay whatever if there's a business case. Vive Pro Eye price is going to be upwards of that.

It makes the Cosmos pricing difficult for them, if it (Cosmos) has visuals that are on a par with the Pro and I think it needs to if it isn't go to be obsolete within a year.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
When it comes to VR Tech, CES really is just about letting organizations who are less relevant step forward and try to remain relevant. It's cute.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Those incremental releases are going to be fun.

Vive
Vive Pro
Vive Pro Eye
Vive Pro Eye and other Eye
Vive Pro Eye and the other Eye and the other eye now with varifocal
Vive Pro Eye and the other Eye and the other eye now with varifocal and the other now too 
Vive Pro Eye and the other Eye and the other eye now with varifocal and the other now too and now no cable

At this point - only because they went down this path - I say they was better off selling it as a addon product instead of a built in one for the Vive Pro. Then later on - Vive Pro 2 say it is built in with their next feature varifocal. This way it's a easier blow to the current Vive Pro users and still gives them the upgrade path later on at a lower price point to include both.

As for Cosmos - I agree with snowdog - there isn't a common denominator here and it's going to be confusing at best to know what hardware to target for. Granted - I am sure they will have a list of what they recommend to target for and what users should use - but as we see with any technology - people are going to be silly and try and use something even slower than that and then complain it doesn't work for them.

kevinw729
Honored Visionary
Fascinated by posts that don't see CES as a important VR marketing event - with Oculus VR and HTC using it extensively as a meeting and promotion event - though obviously not having booth space, both have held corporate events at their hotel locations (as last year)!

The Quest demo at CES is a big push by the operation including the news of their new investment into enterprise - while at the same time we see the new Cosmos from HTC, a possible multi-platform contender.

Just surprised some would not see CES as important in the mix of defining VR business, alongside SteamDay, F8, OC6 and GDC?
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

LZoltowski
Champion
Yup, VR is dead, sure ....

https://www.roadtovr.com/qualcomm-reference-headset-2x-pixels-vive-pro-ces-2018/

Folks this is a train that is not going to slow down anytime soon.

Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
We need a "VR is dead" T-Shirt already

Techy111
MVP
MVP

Zenbane said:

We need a "VR is dead" T-Shirt already

Your wish is my command......send me a 100 quid and it's yours 😉

pxbyulx0n3tt.jpg
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.