cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will Oculus announce "WE BLOCKED OLD CPUs SO BUY NEW!"

Anonymous
Not applicable
Ticket opened to Support on this for a definite verdict. They either BLOCKED non SSE4.2 entirely now in their update within the Librarian Server OR it just could be a permissions issue. We run Personal Computers not a Mac which lets us decide our setup and performance relations. I was happy with my Xeon Quad Duo 3GHz for 3yrs in VR but since the update 1.32 in November they broke all ways to reinstall it!

I want the truth. No need to be shy on the matter. They had already tried blocking it via the official install but the cpu hack proved that it did still indeed work extremely well. It surely is highly mafia-like to discriminate in this manner especially when only LONE ECHO uses those SSE4.2 commands but also has it's very own cpu check albeit after the installation yet still allows us to enter the game menu! Most likely even that would have worked in not selected the extra gpu detail. When ASW2 comes out it will run even better PLUS 1.33 is running so much more memory efficient and VR is all about the available RAM footprint with a decent gpu.

IF I get a response I'll post back as the community should be told. Remember, it says "Recommended Specs" on the box NOT an absolute requirement. They added the Warning Sign in Home to remind us that our cpu may be lower than possible (in very few cases e.g. FOS). By having that sign they expect users to have cpu that ARE NOT in their recommended spec. Verdict = Guilty!
15 REPLIES 15

Anonymous
Not applicable
"Recommended" is the wording they use in SALES but twist this in Support Ticket. Fellas I seriously don't see why this bothers you. They NEVER have yet announced any Block for SSE4.2 and know we only used a hack for installation. i.e. the Runtimes ran ok until 1.32 but as others had issues installing this does not announce any BLOCK and they always had continued to use a Warning Sign in Dash for such CPU. An answer is expected to paying customers of the Rift and Games even though I have no quarms in buying an up to date i7 8700 (even though that is already old generation!)

@snowdog, I have played in VR for 3 yrs already with little effect to performance. Only 1 (ONE) game uses SSE4.2 I can not play: LONE ECHO.

iJudgement
Heroic Explorer

MAC_MAN86 said:

"Recommended" is the wording they use in SALES but twist this in Support Ticket. Fellas I seriously don't see why this bothers you. They NEVER have yet announced any Block for SSE4.2 and know we only used a hack for installation. i.e. the Runtimes ran ok until 1.32 but as others had issues installing this does not announce any BLOCK and they always had continued to use a Warning Sign in Dash for such CPU. An answer is expected to paying customers of the Rift and Games even though I have no quarms in buying an up to date i7 8700 (even though that is already old generation!)

@snowdog, I have played in VR for 3 yrs already with little effect to performance. Only 1 (ONE) game uses SSE4.2 I can not play: LONE ECHO.

They have a "recommended" and a "minimum" i dont see a recommended minimum anywhere.

Minimum means you need at least this to run without issues. Notice, they're all newer CPUs that have SSE 4.2? 

Notice when you try to install the software without SSE 4.2 it stops you from installing and says you need it? 

Notice you had to use a workaround to get the software to work when it was working? Workaround not provided by Oculus. 

Workarounds break. Upgrade your hardware.

ohgrant
Superstar
  Tough break bro, but it sounds like the support tech confirmed to you that it is blocked because  SSE 4  is now a requirement. 8 years old, socket 1155? If you never did a CPU upgrade, not much to it after you figure out the fan mounting screws. Pretty much plug and play if you mobo supports upgrading to these.
I believe the fastest for 1155 is the i7 3770k https://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-Core-i7-3770K-Quad-Core-3-5GHz-8MB-LGA1155-CPU-Processor-SR0PL-Delided/233081849534?epid=115945079&hash=item3644c2c6be:g:l1UAAOSwpFtcMK25:rk:10:pf:0

I'm running an E3 1280 and having no issues with anything including Lone eco.  You can get one of those for under $100 now. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-Xeon-E3-1280-SR00R-3-5GHz-Quad-Core-LGA-1155-CPU-Processor-km/173731404442?epid=1501171449&hash=item287332da9a:g:zocAAOSwJdBbFZBh:rk:2:pf:1&frcectupt=true

Both options should get you running but still on an unsupported processor.  

Gigabyte  AB350 Ryzen 2700x, 32gb ddr 4 3200, 2080ti. HP Reverb G2, Index controllers, Quest 1 and 2x Quest 2. 65" 3DTV HD3D DLP projector.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Don't worry fellas I am upgrading but want to know officially my old PC which worked until November is now Blocked or it was just a problem with the installation from Updates 1.32 as was for many users of even new PCs. I already know what I bought did not have a "Minimum Spec" but a "Recommended" as it said on the BOX!
They gradually added measures along the way to prevent installation of non-SSE4.2 CPU. If the installation problems are now fixed then there is a chance it may still install once again as it did before. I take onboard by using a hack they won't support any issues relating to working properly BUT it did so for 3yrs!
Sure they can change the software as in T&C but to totally Block a PC which works is discrimination and has totally no requirement to do so. It simply proves corruption within the ethos of Facebook Oculus to force new tech sales.

I'm not upgrading the m/b nor the CPU as I'm getting another PC. Just tell us Oculus did you BLOCK them?

a4enqnqfw56u.jpg

Morgrum
Expert Trustee
Man I remember my dual Xeon computer.
It ran planetside, Morrowind, and Dark age of Camelot without a hitch...... but that was back in 2005-2007!
WAAAGH!

Techy111
MVP
MVP
Why oh why oh why do you keep asking for Oculus to answer you here ? It's a user support forum FOR oculus. I'd love to answer your question for you and say yes your cpu has been blocked because it's geriatric as is your silly and repetitive posts on the matter. Roll on your new pc arriving. Bet you find something else to moan about. Let this go bed and be done with it.
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.