cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMD unveils next-gen Radeon VII, launches February 7 for $699

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Looks (potentially) awesome: 

https://www.pcgamer.com/amd-unveils-next-gen-radeon-vii-launches-february-7-for-dollar699/

Quote:

"The Radeon VII boasts 60 compute units and 3,840 stream processors running at up to 1.8GHz. It also has a generous frame buffer—16GB of high bandwidth memory (HBM2) delivering 1TB/s of memory bandwidth. It's not really a surprise that AMD is sticking with HBM2 instead of GDDR6, as that's been the case with every Vega model so far.

AMD's reference design follows Nvidia in ditching the blower format, going for a triple fan design instead. That's probably for the best, as the former blowers could get incredibly loud at higher fan speeds. Plus, AMD apparently still needs to cool a 295W chip.

AMD says its 7nm architecture delivers 25 percent faster performance than the previous model, while consuming the same amount of power."

We'll see when more trustworthy benchmarks arrive 😉 300W for 7 nm will be disappointing in my book - that's much worse performance per W than the 2080 Ti. But drivers are young, and if not for anything else, I hope AMD can help reduce Nvidia's RTX prices. 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

32 REPLIES 32

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Anandtech's impressions:

https://www.anandtech.com/show/13832/amd-radeon-vii-high-end-7nm-february-7th-for-699

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
So it's going to be nearer a Geforce 2080? You might as well get a Geforce 2080 for that price..

Anonymous
Not applicable
What they really need to do is have the thing cheaper. Either that or have a better performing card for the same price. Oh well, might make Nvidia drop the price of their RTX cards I guess with a bit of luck.

PhoenixSpyder
Rising Star
Once Nvidia does 7nm, RTX will (definitely) be the go to card due to 2nd gen (could be a doubling of performance due to 7nm + gen 2 update). That's when I'll making my the move from 1080ti. Just hope the price isn't double...LOL!!!

i7 8700k; 5ghz (water cooled), Asus Rog Strix Z370-E Gaming, Corsair 270R case, EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra, 32 GB Corsair Veng DDR4 2666 Ghz, Adata SX900 SSD, 1TB M.2 SSD, Adata Su800 SSD, Adata SU650 SSD, BarraCuda 2TB HD, Toshiba 3tB HD, Rift (dead), Rift S, Win 10 Pro 2004, Inateck KT4006 USB3.0

Anonymous
Not applicable
The next generation of RTX GPUs will be cheaper because the new tech in the current 20xx GPUs will be cheaper to manufacture. We only saw a big leap in price for the 20xx GPUs because new tech is expensive.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

Worth remembering is also that performance wise (in non-RTX games) the 2080 is similar to the 1080 Ti. So the time from March 10 2017 to February 7 2019 is the time AMD needed to catch up with the 1080 Ti. Unless Radeon VII can impress in certain important aspects, presenting a card with 1080 Ti performance Feb 7, which uses even more power than a 1080 Ti, may not put a lot of wind in their sails. The reference 2080 uses 215W and 12 nm fabrication process while 1080 Ti uses 250W and 16nm - if Radeon VII really needs 295W for 7 nm process, then that doesn't seem like a very power efficient architecture (but then again, competing against Nvidia may be incredibly hard). At least nice to see that AMD has made a new card with high-end performance that may provide some competition.  

Techy111
MVP
MVP
And I'm sure they have a lot of faithful users ready to jump on their new card which should help.
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

bigmike20vt
Visionary
I am glad to see I am not the only one dissapointed (but not surprised) by the new radeon 7

its performance is probably going to be on a par with the RTX 2080 -
beating in some, losing in others and a tie in most - in traditional
games

price is looking to be on a par with RTX 2080

BUT...... No RTX, No DLSS and it still uses a fccuk ton of power and therefore needs a chunky PSU......

The only thing it has over the RTX 2080 is the 16gb of ram... which may be a big deal, or may not be.....

over all, all biases aside i honestly cant see a reason to buy this over
an RTX 2080 for gaming... the ace in its sleeve may have been Freesync
but now nvidia is looking to support Async (and therefore freesync)
then that advantage may be gone now too.

I know more performance was never going to be on the cards, AMD seem to
have gone as all in on the performance as they could..... and therefore
that is why the power requirements is looking to still be so high.

but for gaming i cant help but feel they would have been better going
for GDDR6 and offering 2 versions 8gb and 16gb. From what i have read
about HBM2 and its prices, had they done what i suggested above, a 16GB
GDDR 6 card could have been $100 cheaper, and an 8GB one maybe even $150
- $200 less.

still..... it IS a step up from Vega 64 and may help reign in RTX 2080 prices... but i am not that hopeful.

An 8GB GDDR6 Radeon 7 with similar RTX 2080 performance but for $499 /
£450-£499 or 16gb for $549 / £500-£550 is a card i could see making
nvidia pause!.

Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

OmegaM4N
Expert Trustee
What is stopping AMD getting their power usage down on their cards, why is it always so high compared to what Nvida cards are pulling and doing with less?
CV1/Vive-knuckles)/Dell Vr Visor/Go/Quest II/ PSVR.